Youri Tielemans

thejoker

This guy has just turned 26 but has over 300 top-flight appearances and nearly 60 caps for Belgium. He's available on a free transfer. Even given elevated wages, this is close to being a no-brainer. One average-to-poor season for a side whose main issue was their lamentable defence and goalkeepers doesn't make him suddenly a bad player. Get him in 👍

• Like 3

Just now, troon_villan said:

Off to Arsenal

No room surely? All in on Rice and will probably sign another CM to add to Odegaard and Jorginho.

Arsenal probably had interest 18 months back but cooled now they're at level to challenge for league compared to just breaking into top 4 (when Leicester were finishing above Arsenal two seasons running).

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I can’t see him playing in the wider midfield positions 

Yep I think his role would be starting centrally in a 3 in the tougher home and away matches and also europe.

Also alternate to Doug if Kamara misses games and we have to move him back to DM so then Tielemans can come in and play the 8 role.

Of course we could sign a DM aswell but that feels very unlikely to me unless we move Dendoncker out. That is too many international CMs to keep happy especially as we need to be signing some attackers so won't always be option to play two of them in the wider roles.

The good thing with this deal is we're so strong in central midfield this is a sort of bonus signing.

In previous years signing Tielemans would've been our attempted game changer signing which would be very risky given how mediocre he's been for Leicester in last 18 months.

If he comes then he's excellent back up to Luiz-Kamara and up to him to show his actual quality and find a way into the starting 11. If not hopefully he can still contribute off the bench to see out games we're winning.

Main thing we shouldn't be doing however is handing him a very long term contract like Coutinho and Digne got on signing as 18 months on it's very difficult to shift either given they aren't established first team players.

Not sure if he'd accept a 3 year + 12 month option though.

• Like 2

If he went to Man Utd / Arsenal / Newcastle it wouldn't completely shock me, I'd say it was sensible transfer for them, so on that basis I think it would be great to be able to sign him. 

On the other hand, this has a feeling of the Ings transfer to me. Great player, technically gifted and intelligent but right from the off I'm thinking 1. Where does he fit in our systems and 2. Who is he better than to replace as he's too good (will ask too much in wages) to sit on the bench all season waiting for an injury. 

1 hour ago, skarroki said:

If he went to Man Utd / Arsenal / Newcastle it wouldn't completely shock me, I'd say it was sensible transfer for them, so on that basis I think it would be great to be able to sign him. 

On the other hand, this has a feeling of the Ings transfer to me. Great player, technically gifted and intelligent but right from the off I'm thinking 1. Where does he fit in our systems and 2. Who is he better than to replace as he's too good (will ask too much in wages) to sit on the bench all season waiting for an injury. 

Kamara did get injured fairly frequently last season, it may have been bad luck but with extra games having another central midfielder would be useful.  

He's a bit if a quandary for a lot of clubs this summer.

On the one hand he's got pedigree experience is a good age and was once a very capable performer.

On the other hand he's an absolute dumpling, has gone backwards year on year and will be looking for 120k a week for 4 years.

I'd tread very carefully.

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He's a bit if a quandary for a lot of clubs this summer.

On the one hand he's got pedigree experience is a good age and was once a very capable performer.

On the other hand he's an absolute dumpling, has gone backwards year on year and will be looking for 120k a week for 4 years.

I'd tread very carefully.

Yeh, agree with this.

It might be a ‘free’ transfer but there are only so many £100k+ players we can have sat on our bench…

Cant say this one doesn’t make me nervous. There is talent there for sure, but his fitness issues and poor performances last season really unnerve me. 

Strange signing this would be. He doesn’t start ahead of Luiz, Kamara, Mcginn or Ramsey and whilst he would add depth to the squad, I’m not sure Tielemans expects to be on the bench at his next club so wouldn’t be surprised if this doesn’t happen for that reason. 

I'm torn - it doesn't take much to make a good player look terrible in the Premier League. Leicester's defence was an abomination this year, can't do much for your confidence if you know that losing the ball or giving away a free kick is probably going to end in the opposition scoring. Still think their midfield was too good to go down - it was just playing in front of a ramshackle defence and a pair of curtains in goal.

If people knew how football clubs were run though. We have a set budget in terms of annual player cost. A huge chunk is transfer fee amortisation and the other huge chunk is wages. Every player in the first team squad has a football value in terms of contribution on the pitch and that is weighed up against their ongoing cost. 

Plyaers like McGinn, Luiz, Kamara, Mings, JJ etc.. have essentially zero amortisation left on their fees or had no fees so they are the best in terms of squad cost to contribution. Signing a player on a free who was peak value at €55m and is 26, having him be wanted and signed by Uni Emery the coach who's literal thing is getting the maximum out of under performing players (both Villareal and Villa). 

Like this is as obvious a good piece of business as can be done this summer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

No room surely? All in on Rice and will probably sign another CM to add to Odegaard and Jorginho.

Arsenal probably had interest 18 months back but cooled now they're at level to challenge for league compared to just breaking into top 4 (when Leicester were finishing above Arsenal two seasons running).

xhaka rumoured to be leaving and partey....

and i'll believe the rice story when it happens, same with bayern, they're not paying £85m+ for declan rice

Â