Youri Tielemans

thejoker

It's OK to have squad players who are not obvious downgrades to the ones in the starting 11. Something we'll have to get used to hopefully.

Obviously they'll all want to play but that creates competition so it's a good thing as long as the manager can motivate then and keep them content. No doubting Emery can do this.

Really looking forward to us having a good squad instead of just 9-13 players and then a bunch of guys I'd rather not have on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Upgrade on Mcginn then.

He can't quite play the way McGinn does in way SJM pops up all over the pitch.

If we signed Guendouzi than that would be director competition for McGinn so pretty telling that link that was very strong in January has gone very quiet now.

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

This isn’t a comment on his talents, just that I’ve seen no actual evidence of anything substantial. 

He scored a worldie in FA cup final two years ago and probably got MOTM as a result. Chelsea won the CL two weeks later.

Mediocre since then but between 2019-21 he was one of the best CMs in the league otherwise how did Leicester finish 5th in those seasons? We had a great late season run just to finish 7th with our midfield players being amazing in pretty much all the games.

I think the one big consistent theme for Tielemans over his time at Leicester is how high his progressive passing stats are every season. I feel he's like a type of McGinn but will play on left side so LM or LCM. We won't be after Guendouzi if we sign Tielemans. 

Edited by CVByrne

43 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I disagree on this one.

McGinn is one of our best midfielders.

Tielemans will be useful though in such a busy season. 

When McGinn is needing rested it will ideal to have the quality if Tielamans to step in and take his place.

Competition for places is not a bad thing.

Luiz and Ramsey are better than Mcginn.

Tielemans is younger and has a higher ceiling imo.

39 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think the one big consistent theme for Tielemans over his time at Leicester is how high his progressive passing stats are every season. I feel he's like a type of McGinn but will play on left side so LM or LCM. We won't be after Guendouzi if we sign Tielemans. 

That's my fear, I think Guendouzi would suit us better. Tielemens has great technique, if he can get back his best, but Guendouzi has good technique coupled with aggression, speed and fitness. All things Tielemens lacks.

• Like 1

Just now, picicata said:

That's my fear, I think Guendouzi would suit us better. Tielemens has great technique, if he can get back his best, but Guendouzi has good technique coupled with aggression, speed and fitness. All things Tielemens lacks.

Guendouzi would cost us 30-40m and he wouldn't offer enough more than Tielemans to make up for that cost difference. Especially as that money would get put to use on other positions

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Guendouzi would cost us 30-40m and he wouldn't offer enough more than Tielemans to make up for that cost difference. Especially as that money would get put to use on other positions

Agree...bigger picture and all that, re squad reinforcements vs finacial resources. Also, YT's tackling stats are up there with all other CMs in the league, surprisingly. 

I think it's recency bias affecting me. Tielemans has slightly lost his lustre this past season. He's probably a canny signing if we can get him cheap, and Emery could bring him back to his best. He's coming into his prime so it definitely makes sense once he's not a busted flush. I'd still much prefer Guendouzi though if the finances made sense. For me there's quite a big difference between the 2.

• Like 3

On a free, this would be a good signing. Talented player, 26 so with some years left in him, PL/international/europe experience…

to me, he is too often a passenger in games. He will not boss midfield. Does have a great shot on him, so can score some goals. A squad player, but good to have on the bench. He has played with dendonker at Anderlecht and for Belgium, so added bonus they already have an on pitch understanding (though both would be subs for me)

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

I think it's recency bias affecting me. Tielemans has slightly lost his lustre this past season. He's probably a canny signing if we can get him cheap, and Emery could bring him back to his best. He's coming into his prime so it definitely makes sense once he's not a busted flush. I'd still much prefer Guendouzi though if the finances made sense. For me there's quite a big difference between the 2.

Exactly the sort of signing Emery would make at Villarreal, a player who has lost his way and considered not good enough and can be got on the cheap (Juan Foyth, Capoue, Coquelin, Lo Celso). 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BOF said:

Different types of players entirely though, surely. No reason not to get both. Tielemans is more of a Luiz style number 8, I'd say Guendouzi would be competing more with Ramsey/McGinn.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I disagree, I think we would end up regretting getting Tielemans as our new midfield option. 

If he wasn't free we wouldn't be interested which suggests to me he's not the right choice

People need to remember that if we do well in the Conference, and also don't chuck the FA and League Cups in this year, we could be playing 20+ more games. We simply can't get through a schedule like that with the same squad we've got now. About the only place we're covered at the moment is left back. Emery has said he wants two quality players for every spot, so no reason whatsoever not to go after Tielemans AND Guendouzi. And to be honest, I'd be after Maddison as well.

4 minutes ago, picicata said:

If he wasn't free we wouldn't be interested which suggests to me he's not the right choice

It's an interesting point but probably an oversimplification.   Tielemans being free obviously makes him more attractive, especially when you are at a club without oil money but recruitment is as much about opportunism as it is about analytics.  Sometimes you get a player in because there's a relationship with an agent, or he's settled in a geographical area or indeed he's out of contract.  It might be the case that Tielemans has run down his contract because he's had a verbal agreement somewhere for a year or more and where he goes next is a fait accompli but I think it's widely accepted that he'd improve any squad in the league with the possible exception of Manchester City and to not even be interested in that simply because we don't plan to build a team around him or have him slot into a gaping hole in the squad seems kinda short sighted.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Risso said:

People need to remember that if we do well in the Conference, and also don't chuck the FA and League Cups in this year, we could be playing 20+ more games. We simply can't get through a schedule like that with the same squad we've got now. About the only place we're covered at the moment is left back. Emery has said he wants two quality players for every spot, so no reason whatsoever not to go after Tielemans AND Guendouzi. And to be honest, I'd be after Maddison as well.

I'd be shocked if there is two midfielders brought in this window without an unexpected sale. Tielemans is appealing because he is a free transfer which means the club can allocate more of the budget towards getting a forward. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

It's an interesting point but probably an oversimplification.   Tielemans being free obviously makes him more attractive, especially when you are at a club without oil money but recruitment is as much about opportunism as it is about analytics.  Sometimes you get a player in because there's a relationship with an agent, or he's settled in a geographical area or indeed he's out of contract.  It might be the case that Tielemans has run down his contract because he's had a verbal agreement somewhere for a year or more and where he goes next is a fait accompli but I think it's widely accepted that he'd improve any squad in the league with the possible exception of Manchester City and to not even be interested in that simply because we don't plan to build a team around him or have him slot into a gaping hole in the squad seems kinda short sighted.  

It's a fair point and I'm by no means saying I'm definitely correct I have been wrong many times,  just a feeling I get.

To me It's like buying a coat because it's in the sales even though it's not the coat you actually wanted and it's not quite the right size. You might wear it occasionally but you'll always be wishing you'd just paid the extra for the coat you really coveted 

1 hour ago, Pinebro said:

Luiz and Ramsey are better than Mcginn.

Tielemans is younger and has a higher ceiling imo.

Tielemans doesn't play the same position as McGinn did last season. Is no comparison and Tielemans can't do that role

Â