Youri Tielemans

thejoker

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's been available on a free for everyone outside of the PL since 1st Jan and for the PL since 1st June (?)

The whole "approach soon" stuff is bullshit, if we were genuinely interested we'd have bumped in to his agent at a brum restaurant months ago

I'd definitely take him though, think he'd give proper competition to our midfield and we can use another one, Emery + that non guarantee of starting we should get the best out of him, if that fails we should still be able to shift him for double digits

Maybe we feel we can offer a lower wage if he's a bit more desperate for a club 

1 minute ago, MSvillain said:

Maybe we feel we can offer a lower wage if he's a bit more desperate for a club 

I don't think he will be, would guess there's plenty of takers for him including a fair few where he would be an automatic starter

He's another where Newcastle have very little depth so can imagine they've had a look at him

• Like 1

No brainer on a free. Kind of crazy to think that if we signed Youri Tielemans he'd not be a guaranteed starter in this team. We've come a long way in the last couple of years (and he's regressed a bit to be fair).

• Like 4

All about how bothered he is about being a footballer any more.

His performances for Leicester the last 18 months have suggested he isn't fussed, so I'm concerned.

If he's motivated, it could be a great free signing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He literally made John a new player....

Given time(lord), Emery can change anyone

Eighth_Doctor_(Doctor_Who)_(cropped).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

His performances for Leicester the last 18 months have suggested he isn't fussed, so I'm concerned.

Agreed. First things first, he needs to get himself a helluva lot fitter.

He’s very good on the ball, and comfortable taking the ball off defenders. Nobody else in the Leicester team could do that part well. Mendy, Soumare and surprisingly Ndidi were shocking at it all season. 

He isn’t my first choice for that position but IF he gets himself fit, and back in form, we’ve effectively signed a 40-50m player for nothing. 

If we’re going to want to try and sign the Joao Felix’s, Nico Williams of this world, unfortunately we’re going to have to mix that in with some astute signings on free transfers (Asensio being another).

Personally, I’m a little indifferent on this one. I’ll see how it pans out as he has been poor the last 12 months on the whole. He was a cracking player before that though - who knows what’s gone wrong.

14 minutes ago, GrumpyFox said:

Hello Villains!

A slightly embarrassed and still fuming Leicester fan coming in peace. 

Most of my family follow the Villa and have been asking about both Youri and Barnes a fair bit so I thought it come along and give you a point of view on the pair. 

Youri, he’s had a bizarre career following his professional debut, and I guess the first thing to consider is that he seems to have the same ending to most of his contracts… he somewhat fades out and then disappears. He came to us after being dropped by Monaco, and in all honesty he was a revelation initially. The good things about Youri’s game are, he is a thinkers footballer, Rodgers often stated he was like having a coach on the pitch, which was clear to see at times. Youri is very good at organisation, and he has the ability to read the game fairly well and does have a very good range of passing, both short and long. 

His best traits are probably an ability to pull off the risky passes, he can play those passes through the centre of the pitch, and is pretty good at picking out quick wide players and attackers early. He also has a screamer in him too and he is pretty robust, he rarely gets injured and he starts to flourish when he is played consistently, which is also a pain as it will take him about ten games to get going. 

However, he does have a few flaws…. One being he isn’t an athlete at all, he is unfortunate very slow, and this gets him caught out a lot, particularly when he looks for those risky passes, one of our biggest downfalls last season was conceding possession needlessly in the transition of play, and it often began with Youri playing a risky pass that doesn’t come off and then he doesn’t have the athleticism to get back and defend. It is vital that you have players around him that can make up for this. But, having said that on a free would he be a pretty good signing for you? I’d argue potentially. He has bags and bags of European experience, and he has been an international since 17 I believe, so again, he is vastly experienced for a young-ish player.

It is possibly one of those situations where he gets overlooked by some clubs due to our situation, but under a coach like Emery he could flourish and it’s if anything a bit more strength in depth. 

I hope it gives you a bit of an insight to him, I wouldn’t read too much into last seasons stats, as we were largely diabolical in all areas for the whole season, so I’d consider that when looking at him.

I’ll pop over the the Barnes thread at some stage and give an overview of him, but I will say I’ve been extremely impressed with how you guys have gone about your business since returning to the premier league, Emery has you going along at a good pace, so I hope next season is fruitful for you with more progression!  

He can’t be as slow as Gareth Barry and he was one of the best players I’ve ever seen. 

Pace isn’t everything but I do agree he needs to get himself fitter 

20 minutes ago, GrumpyFox said:

However, he does have a few flaws…. One being he isn’t an athlete at all, he is unfortunate very slow, and this gets him caught out a lot, particularly when he looks for those risky passes, one of our biggest downfalls last season was conceding possession needlessly in the transition of play, and it often began with Youri playing a risky pass that doesn’t come off and then he doesn’t have the athleticism to get back and defend.

This will excite the Buendia detractors. 

P.S. Thanks for the write up

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Only 26. Also just realised from a pod, that even though his season has been deemed " poor ".. he has an average Sofacore rating of over 7.

" Squad " players who can put in an average " 7 " is some improvement on where we are coming from imo.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Emery will have to look him in the eye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Only 26. Also just realised from a pod, that even though his season has been deemed " poor ".. he has an average Sofacore rating of over 7.

" Squad " players who can put in an average " 7 " is some improvement on where we are coming from imo.

This is what it's all about, we need high quality replacements across all of the starting 11. Digne is a good example of that for Moreno, although obviously not what he was signed for. When Moreno is out Digne is a very high quality back up. In theory we could play an extra 15 games next season. We cant just be naming youth team keepers on the bench to make up numbers.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m all for him if it means Buendia doesn’t play!

Tielemans would be competing with Doug and Kamara and he's nowhere near as good as either of them

However, we do need bodies for Europe so if his wages aren't too ridiculous then it might be okay

Â