Marco Asensio

wishywashy

This always had the feel of a signing that people have a meltdown over but then would not work out, I was never sure about it myself, no doubt he's been a good player with a big reppy but seems that was being overplayed as people liked the idea of us having our 'Robinho moment', Asensio is good player i'm sure but us signing him wouldn't have been comparable to that, I was much more taken to the links to the likes of Wiliams, Henriquie, and Kang-in, if we're going to spend big money do on younger players, unless a really special exception such as Messi.

• Like 3

Up until about a week ago I had never heard of this guy. Then again I don’t watch Champions League or La Liga matches as I don’t have Sky or BT sport subscriptions. I cannot be too disappointed as a result. He is not the only player out there that plays this role. I am sure Unai Emery and Villa will have a few exciting options lined up.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Shame. It was an ambitious long shot. 

Agreed. Was worth a shot. Shame we couldn't get him as on a free it'd be a great deal. 

Good that it's sorted as quickly as this before even the end of the current season so lots of time to pursue the other transfer targets.

We missed out on Tarkowski on a free last summer too. Good we try to use the free market. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Were we TOO cheeky with our bid?

If the reported €8 mill salary we offered was true it seems like PSG offered more. I think Mendes used us to get him better terms with PSG, apparently he’s been offered €10 mill salary.

38 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Atleast it is sorted relatively quick. Onto the next targets.

Well it was publicly quick. I hope it wasn’t one we’ve been working on for months on end behind the scenes only to be pipped to the post in a few days by PSG.

But yes, onwards and upwards, not going to be  losing sleep over it. 

A disappointing start to this transfer window.

Alemany out🙃

Edited by Tubby

PSG really are a terrible club in every possible way.

Look at the amount of French talent spread around Europe that they never seem to have any interest in. Mbappe is the only PSG player named in the current French squad. They could easily build a dynasty with young French talents and take on Europe, but they just go for names all the time and have no identity on the pitch.

Shows our ambition and intent that we are competing with clubs like PSG for players like Asensio. Before Unai came in we wouldnt have considered. 

I still think this'll be our biggest window ever with a lot of exciting players coming in over the summer. We aren't going to land every target. 

So ROmano saying PSG made a better offer than us, and nothing is signed yet with PSG but it's close?

Do you reckon we will make another offer or we should just leave this one?

I'm not sure he is worth beyond a certain level of stupid money in fairness!

My idea was that it being a free, would have made him a great pickup.

However I have no doubt we have alternatives lined up which may even suit us better long term.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So ROmano saying PSG made a better offer than us, and nothing is signed yet with PSG but it's close?

Do you reckon we will make another offer or we should just leave this one?

I'm not sure he is worth beyond a certain level of stupid money in fairness!

My idea was that it being a free, would have made him a great pickup.

However I have no doubt we have alternatives lined up which may even suit us better long term.

This is just pure guesswork but I have a feeling Mendes wants Asensio at PSG and we’ll get another client of his instead 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ceemo said:

PSG really are a terrible club in every possible way.

Look at the amount of French talent spread around Europe that they never seem to have any interest in. Mbappe is the only PSG player named in the current French squad. They could easily build a dynasty with young French talents and take on Europe, but they just go for names all the time and have no identity on the pitch.

...and that's the reason why they'll never win the Champions League.  

Â