Malta v England/England v North Macedonia

WallisFrizz

32 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I for one am shocked that the striker of the team in the Maltese league relegation playoffs and the guy who scored 1 goal for Notts County in league 2 last season didn't have a shot

Its a good thing Southgate played all that experience

Bloody cheats. 

It was a poor line up really, so many players not in positions they're effective for in club football.

No doubt when we're on the eye of Germany 2024 he'll use this game as example of fringe players not impressing but they need better conditions.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I used to think exactly the same, but in the end I changed my mind because a] these fixtures are good money spinners for small FAs, b] it's a bit patronising for us to say things like it 'can't be much fun' but in the end it's the small countries themselves who *want* these games and this system, and c] having a small nation round-robin beforehand wouldn't make the winner any more able to face the likes of England anyway, so what's the point. The Nations League is their round-robin in any case. 

All fair points

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Disagree that he's only there for his passport, he's also there to play in the dead rubbers so that Rodri is fresher at the business end of the season

This is why City stockpile top players. 

Disappointed to see The Guardian going along with the TAA hype, with the headline "Alexander-Arnold effortlessly pulls strings in midfield to serve up a reminder of his genius". 

FFS, of course it was effortless, it was against Malta. I probably would have looked good against that opposition. He's a good player, but come on. 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Disappointed to see The Guardian going along with the TAA hype, with the headline "Alexander-Arnold effortlessly pulls strings in midfield to serve up a reminder of his genius". 

FFS, of course it was effortless, it was against Malta. I probably would have looked good against that opposition. He's a good player, but come on. 

I thought the same. Maltas best player players for notts county. I thought that scoreline was basically the minimum required. Malta will be quite happy not to be taking at least a 6 gol tonking but we’ve all seen those kinds of games end up 8/9/10.

No one should be getting rave reviews for beating Malta 4-0.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

7popbj.jpg

Just saw this on BBC:

Gareth Southgate says Trent Alexander-Arnold offers something different in England's midfield but is still learning the role, after starting there in the 4-0 win in Malta.

So now we have to teach full backs how to play in midfield? What an absolute nobdrip.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Just saw this on BBC:

Gareth Southgate says Trent Alexander-Arnold offers something different in England's midfield but is still learning the role, after starting there in the 4-0 win in Malta.

So now we have to teach full backs how to play in midfield? What an absolute nobdrip.

At least the Euros is the last tournament he will be involved in. Hopefully, we can then get a manager who can maximise all the talent at his disposal. Potter would be my choice, or Pep if he's had enough of club football. 

7 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Southgate laughing about the players tapping each other up. I think he should be asked to explain his comments.

Since I'm often in the position of 'Southgate defender' on this forum, I want to say this is something he does that I deeply, deeply dislike. He may be happy when one of "his" players moves to a bigger club but it is rude and unprofessional of him to say so. He couldn't help himself last week, cheering about Bellingham moving to Real. The right and proper answer from an England manager to stuff about transfers between clubs is 'it's not for me to comment on club transfers' and say nothing else on the subject. 

• Like 3

On 17/06/2023 at 17:36, rjw63 said:

Just saw this on BBC:

Still learning the role... funny that is. A role he's never played in his career, that he has only played in a glorified friendly against much weaker opposition.

He's not "still learning the role". He hasn't started learning the role.

I'm sure he'll do equally well if asked to play the same role in our next game. Doesn't mean he'll have learnt anything about playing that role in a genuinely competitive match. 

I also very much doubt he's learnt anything from Southgate on the training ground in relation to the role. 

Watch him go and score a hattrick against North Macedonia and the media blow their collective minds over it. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Still learning the role... funny that is. A role he's never played in his career, that he has only played in a glorified friendly against much weaker opposition.

He's not "still learning the role". He hasn't started learning the role.

I'm sure he'll do equally well if asked to play the same role in our next game. Doesn't mean he'll have learnt anything about playing that role in a genuinely competitive match. 

I also very much doubt he's learnt anything from Southgate on the training ground in relation to the role. 

Watch him go and score a hattrick against North Macedonia and the media blow their collective minds over it. 

same as trippier

this guy bangs on about playing for their club sides and experience and all this guff and then plays players in positions they've never done so before in their life

not sure if it is purely C&B spectacles as we seem to be a team whose players are missing out because of his bullshit, if say west ham with bowen, leicester with barnes etc all feel the same or even if fans of like man city are also fed up with him, would be interested to know spurs fans opinion of him as he treats kane like a work horse

I'm really hoping maguire gets stuck on the manure bench again all season and would be great to hear what line GS will come up with when he is selected as first choice centre back at the euros.

TAA as number 10 again? This is a **** sick joke

Â