Malta v England/England v North Macedonia

WallisFrizz

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

It wasn't a penalty. How VAR didn't look at it is beyond me.

Yeah I wasn’t sure either tbh. It’s one of those, starts outside the box and falls in the box. We would want it checked if it was against us. It may have passed a quick check, or they couldn’t be bothered as the match is done.

Andros Townsend justifying the pen as Stones momentum took him into the box. Shut up. Initial contact was outside the box and if you look Stones does a mini dive after being touched. A foul and free kick, yes. Never a penalty.

5 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

How is that a penalty?! Clearly Stones falls down in the D and ends up in the box!? I thought VAR was meant to sort this shit out?

He's still being held, and therefore fouled, in the area.

Just now, NeilS said:

Yeah I wasn’t sure either tbh. It’s one of those, starts outside the box and falls in the box. We would want it checked if it was against us. It may have passed a quick check, or they couldn’t be bothered as the match is done.

True but we've all been asking for consistency and if they can't even be bothered to do it right in an international qualifier then it's really a sad state.

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

He fell in the D, it's as clear as day

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's still being held, and therefore fouled, in the area.

But that's not where the initial foul took place, so it has to be where the foul took place. Still holding when the hold took Stones to fall in the D meant the foul was in the D. Initial foul was outside the area. Therefore a free kick. That's the rules. He goes down in the D. You see it as clear as day. His momentum and both players fall I to the box but the foul starts in the D. It's a free kick.

Edited by stewiek2

Just now, stewiek2 said:

Initial foul was outside the area. Therefore a free kick. That's the rules. 

No, it's not the rules.

You should probably read the rules before getting so angry about it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

No, it's not the rules.

You should probably read the rules before getting so angry about it

You sarcy git I know the bloody rules! Stones goes down in the D, ie he falls down. In the D, the momentum takes him I to the area. So the foul was in the D.

Edited by stewiek2

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

You sarcy git I know the bloody rules!

If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick.

You're right Stones starts going down in the D, but the defender has still got his arm around him as he's going down in the box.

I'd not have minded it being a free kick, there's a bit of me that thinks "is it still enough to consider it being a foul at that point as he's going down?" but it's certainly not this night and day outrage that you're portraying it as. By the letter of the law, it's a pen. 

I've not watched the matches but checked the lineups thinking surely Maguire can't be starting, and been sorely disappointed each time

Has he done anything to justify Southgate sticking with him over, say, someone who has had a decent season?

47 minutes ago, will87 said:

Do we have the strongest squad in world football? It's got to be up there, we have an embarrassment of bitches.

Mos def! 

• Haha 1

Â