• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I can't agree with "smash and grab". They came closer to another goal than we did. All that possession and we were completely clueless about how to use it

Absolutely, they had that goal ruled out for offside at the start that looked very tight, also clipped the bar. 

10 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I'd much rather play a reserve team against Leeds in the league where we have nothing to play for. 

This was a chance to win a trophy. I'm absolutely gutted. 

Well, I have great news. If we can't beat Stevenage with our bench, we weren't winning the FA Cup with our starters.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Harry said:

Is that true of all teams though? BTW I don't know the answer to that!

Well, to a large extent for home crowds I would say yes personally, with maybe a couple of exceptions (Leeds & maybe the Palace Ultra's for example). But that was such a diabolical, dull & slow performance yesterday that I would suggest it would have silenced almost any crowd, the aforementioned included it was so poor, It was shocking in fact. I was at the back of the Holte and they actually were trying to get some singing going but it was just so poor it even sucked the life out of them too eventually. I could not believe the snails pace we were playing at, especially against a League two team!!! They were parking the bus quite clearly and it's obvious that the way you get though that is with quick play. I could not get my head around how wew were expecting to get through them with slow labourious obvious passing. It was actually easy for them to defend. Add to that the disgusting "give the ball away" play which effectively gifted them two goals and you end up with a cup shock. 

It was a pityful performance. Absoltely self enduced too.

Some heads need to roll for that in my view. Aston Villa is better than that.

• Like 1

Unai Emery made a major mistake yesterday, he thought these players was professionals and learnt the same lesson as the previous managers. They play at training ground pace, most cannot hit a barn door and energy and commitment levels are left to other teams, tactically inept, lack of leaders and Diva personality traits for one or two. Character, responsibility, willing to fight for a cause or sweat blood are alien to this bunch. New players please because we know what this lot are capable of and will never play a team game.

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

We’ve had to build a squad for survival and then build for consolidation and now the next process is going to be the hardest which is to get top half and subsequently Europe.

But unlike other teams we’ve done it in a much shorter time scale. Had we waited a few seasons to consolidate further we probably miss out on Emery. 

Attitude and mental issues aside, we are seeing just how big of a gap the next crucial step is and why so many of the current crop aren’t good enough for what we aspire to be. 

I forgot to mention yesterday, not sure if its been said or not but SHOULD that had not been a free-kick as he was tugged outside the area with the initial contact, but swept under the rug as everyone except  us wanted to see a giant killing, because until the penalty was given the commentators seemed to share the same opinion but then quickly shut up and forgot about it and rather celebrate stevenage’s goal, but correct me if im wrong anyway 

37 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I have to admit that after this last week (Wolves 1st half & that League 2 team we handed the game to yesterday), I am just a little concerned as to the way we are playing. It is just so SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! 

Is this an Emery thing? Or are the players simply not doing it? Coz when we play like that it is boring as heck and totally ineffective too. It is just a matter of time until the opponent realizes we are little threat and starts taking a few gambles when we happily will then donate a few chances to them by basically passing them the ball in a dangerous position (Exactly what happened on Sunday)

Football is played in phases nowadays. The tempo clearly changes in the games we've played based on what's happening on the pitch. It's not ineffective at all and players can't run full tilt for 90 minutes.

4 hours ago, lexicon said:

For sure. The four factors that cost us IMO have nothing to do with that:

Coutinho's poor shooting
Bailey's poor shooting/final ball
Dendoncker's mistake
Olsen's mistake

We dominated the game for 88 minutes without finishing them off and then were the victims of a smash and grab. That's just football. 

Absolutely this, especially the first two.  If Coutinho and Bailey had tried to pass instead of shoot from 25 yards over and over again then I'm sure we would have scored more and thus the mistakes like Dendoncker's would have been irrelevant.  They wrecked so many attacking moves it was untrue.  The one move with intricate one-touch passing ended up with Sanson's goal.

Edited by sharkyvilla
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I forgot to mention yesterday, not sure if its been said or not but SHOULD that had not been a free-kick as he was tugged outside the area with the initial contact, but swept under the rug as everyone except  us wanted to see a giant killing, because until the penalty was given the commentators seemed to share the same opinion but then quickly shut up and forgot about it and rather celebrate stevenage’s goal, but correct me if im wrong anyway 

It's been discussed in a few places but maybe not in this thread; the rules specifically say that in the case of holding a player that starts outside the box but ends in it, a penalty should be given

7 hours ago, M_Afro said:

It’s interesting that Stevenage did not pick up a single yellow card yesterday. You’d expect a league 2 side to pick up quite a few when playing against a PL side. It just goes to show how we created so few moments where they were compromised but also highlights a bigger problem. We don’t have any decent ball carriers in the team. 

The ref had a **** shocker let's be honest. His performance almost as poor as most of our players.

How on earth their lad got away with reefing Olsen pretty forcefully to the ground to time waste WITHOUT getting carded is beyond me. Spineless git

3 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Well, to a large extent for home crowds I would say yes personally, with maybe a couple of exceptions (Leeds & maybe the Palace Ultra's for example). But that was such a diabolical, dull & slow performance yesterday that I would suggest it would have silenced almost any crowd, the aforementioned included it was so poor, It was shocking in fact. I was at the back of the Holte and they actually were trying to get some singing going but it was just so poor it even sucked the life out of them too eventually. I could not believe the snails pace we were playing at, especially against a League two team!!! They were parking the bus quite clearly and it's obvious that the way you get though that is with quick play. I could not get my head around how wew were expecting to get through them with slow labourious obvious passing. It was actually easy for them to defend. Add to that the disgusting "give the ball away" play which effectively gifted them two goals and you end up with a cup shock. 

It was a pityful performance. Absoltely self enduced too.

Some heads need to roll for that in my view. Aston Villa is better than that.

I remember, years ago, when we started a bit flat.....suddenly a committed tackle, would come in, and the crowd, would come to life, and the knock on effect was the momentum started.....It then spread to the other players, and they were all committing strong challenges, and fighting for the ball.

Then, I woke up this morning to that stinking performance.

was it all a dream?....not sure which one was.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

It's been discussed in a few places but maybe not in this thread; the rules specifically say that in the case of holding a player that starts outside the box but ends in it, a penalty should be given

not sure it did though , they were 2 completely separate challenges

23 hours ago, striker said:

That’s the problem and why the Villa haven’t won anything for ages. Blinkered comments like your post runs throughout the club.

For example, one poster informed me recently on here than Luiz was worth between 60m-80m. 

those kind of comments run throughout the club? The FACT that we are not a top 6 club and we have to accept that for a bit -- we can't just continuously throw out our whole squad and demand a new midfield every year. What do you expect from the club? A Chelsea style spending spree every summer?

Yes, Douglas is probably worth between 60m-80m at the minute because of the PL inflation tag with his new contract. And he was just sought after by a top 6 club -- the club who is currently in 1st in the league.

23 hours ago, striker said:

Other posters were screaming for the inclusion of Sanson. Well he was chosen today and subbed off against Stevenage!

You say that Villa’s current midfield would best Everton’s midfield? Maybe, maybe not but both teams have struggled for some time now so I’m not sure Villa’s midfield should be used as a yardstick for any team in top flight football?

I’m no more deluded than those who think all of the above.

By the start of next season I will be very surprised indeed to see any of the current midfield at Villa or indeed fullbacks and wide forwards.

By the way I forgot about Marvellous so I would include him in those being moved on.

Sanson was the only player to come out with any credit yesterday and hasn't played a full 90 minutes in who knows how long

I'd take our midfield over probably half of the other PL team's midfields. 

Who knows if there is a release clause for Douglas in the new contract, otherwise I would be shocked if he left the club. 

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

For sure. The four factors that cost us IMO have nothing to do with that:

Coutinho's poor shooting
Bailey's poor shooting/final ball
Dendoncker's mistake
Olsen's mistake

We dominated the game for 88 minutes without finishing them off and then were the victims of a smash and grab. That's just football. 

No...............That's just football, when you don't apply yourself.

when you do, it has a habit of being a bit brighter.

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Football is played in phases nowadays. The tempo clearly changes in the games we've played based on what's happening on the pitch. It's not ineffective at all and players can't run full tilt for 90 minutes.

That's always been the case.....its just that the modern footballer, is fitter, more athletic, the game is faster and more demanding.....They have never been able to run full tilt for 90 minutes....its game management....you take control.

It still is a simple game, made complicated by some....

88 minutes 1-0 up.....we don't need another goal, we need to see the game out( needs v wants).....and yet again, we didn't.

That flys in the face of professionalism....it's more in line with what amateurs are likely to do.

Edited by TRO

I have to admit that after this last week (Wolves 1st half & that League 2 team we handed the game to yesterday), I am just a little concerned as to the way we are playing. It is just so SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! 

Is this an Emery thing? Or are the players simply not doing it? Coz when we play like that it is boring as heck and totally ineffective too. It is just a matter of time until the opponent realizes we are little threat and starts taking a few gambles when we happily will then donate a few chances to them by basically passing them the ball in a dangerous position (Exactly what happened on Sunday)

Crap squad.. that’s the only reason really… 

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

We’ve had to build a squad for survival and then build for consolidation and now the next process is going to be the hardest which is to get top half and subsequently Europe.

But unlike other teams we’ve done it in a much shorter time scale. Had we waited a few seasons to consolidate further we probably miss out on Emery. 

Have we? Brentford are above us, Fulham are. 

• Like 1

we havent played with speed since MON   i think its the players

• Confused 1

Â