• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

22 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Just watched the second goal again, and not making excuses for the Villa keeper, but I wonder it the Villa player (not sure who) got between the Stevenage player and the keeper, and made the keeper "unsighted". Maybe he saw the shot late......

That would be Ollie 

30 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

saw this summary elsewhere...

Entitled, posturing preeners, all tats and headphones, swaggering into VP as if they’re Greek gods, tippy tapping safe triangles in safe areas whilst waving to the family and chewing gum 1 - 2 Hardworking, committed professionals being the best version of themselves, focussed, determined, integrity personified.

I like a good rant myself but I think we can say that Stevenage defended well, Villa were cruising until one guy cocked-up, which led to an equaliser and the sending-off messed up Villa's defence at the corner.

Villa's defence lacked an organising personality, with Mings left on the bench.

Conclusion: the manager didn't take Stevenage or the competition seriously and paid the price.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I agree about Man Untied, but you'd not have had much company with that view of yesterday's team before kick off. Have a glance through the pre match thread and it's pretty much unanimous it's a very experienced team considering the opposition

The result yesterday was an anomaly, a smash and grab.  The team we put out yesterday we should have been out of sight at half time.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I agree about Man Untied, but you'd not have had much company with that view of yesterday's team before kick off. Have a glance through the pre match thread and it's pretty much unanimous it's a very experienced team considering the opposition

On paper the team should have had the game wrapped up at half time. But Stevenage actually looked more dangerous going forward than we did

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Completely agree with everything you’re saying, but Emery has to take some blame here for me. The line up before United in the cup shocked me, and yesterday was the same. It was a massive opportunity wasted. Newcastle went out the night before. Marsch made 7 changes in their game yesterday and they had to fight for a point. 

Not sure I agree, I think there would be very few people thinking we should’ve started our “first” XI against a league 2 side.  

Arguably Ings, Bailey, Coutinho, Luiz, Cash are first XI players so that’s half the team.  Dendoncker was brought recently so arguably in that category but seems more fringe player.  

Sanson played well, so it was 4 in defence that was harder to defend but again we played a league two side and these are quite a few levels above that.  

Nothing wrong with the line up, yes a lot of changes but it wasn’t a weak starting line up, it was just weaker than as usual line up.  Nobody can convince me that starting line up shouldn’t have won a game like that even on a bad day.  Unfortunately it was a really bad day with two big individual mistakes.

• Like 2

It’s interesting that Stevenage did not pick up a single yellow card yesterday. You’d expect a league 2 side to pick up quite a few when playing against a PL side. It just goes to show how we created so few moments where they were compromised but also highlights a bigger problem. We don’t have any decent ball carriers in the team. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure I agree, I think there would be very few people thinking we should’ve started our “first” XI against a league 2 side.  

Arguably Ings, Bailey, Coutinho, Luiz, Cash are first XI players so that’s half the team.  Dendoncker was brought recently so arguably in that category but seems more fringe player.  

Sanson played well, so it was 4 in defence that was harder to defend but again we played a league two side and these are quite a few levels above that.  

Nothing wrong with the line up, yes a lot of changes but it wasn’t a weak starting line up, it was just weaker than as usual line up.  Nobody can convince me that starting line up shouldn’t have won a game like that even on a bad day.  Unfortunately it was a really bad day with two big individual mistakes.

Sums up pretty much how I feel.  There isn't a single PL team that wouldn't have made changes against a L2 team.  That team was good enough on paper to win.

• Like 1

I totally get not playing most of the first team in this game. What I don't get is playing several back up players who have no future at the club

some of which will probably leave this month. Surely a couple of the kids (maybe Raikhy & Feeney) would have been more fruitful.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t argue with what you’ve said, I just think it’s the disappointment of not taking advantage of the opportunity we had especially knowing who we would have played next before the game. The players should have done better.

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Can’t argue with what you’ve said, I just think it’s the disappointment of not taking advantage of the opportunity we had especially knowing who we would have played next before the game. The players should have done better.

I agree. I just don’t know how we didn’t take advantage of beating a smaller team after 7 years of not winning a fa cup tie.  The draw had been kind for the next round.  Man City beating Chelsea and then drawn Arsenal so big teams going out.  Newcastle out, it just seemed we had better chance this season and we go and mess it up.  I didn’t expect to win the cup but I expected a bit of a run this year…..gutted!

17 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

It’s interesting that Stevenage did not pick up a single yellow card yesterday. You’d expect a league 2 side to pick up quite a few when playing against a PL side. It just goes to show how we created so few moments where they were compromised but also highlights a bigger problem. We don’t have any decent ball carriers in the team. 

We also lack physicality. They didn't have to foul as either we lost possession,, fell over, or shot over the bar for most of the game.

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Hmmm. How did Newcastle get on in the cup? When did they last win anything? How have they been run?

Brentford and Brighton, yes, that’s fair. Stability, having an underdog mentality, not having an expectation and demand of winning trophies right NOW, not throwing their teddies out if things go wonky. Growing their club bit by bit. Taking setbacks on the chin. Instant success doesn’t happen. I’m not having a go, or excusing anything and you’re dead right about the character of some players and the need for leadership in the team, particularly with McGinn, Emi and Tyrone not playing.

There are always exceptions Pete....but Newcastle was a far different performance, than ours, and losing only there second game of the season and away from home....in stark contrast to our 8 games lost and an early exit from the carabao cup, and now this.

We have brought in too many lightweights, to add to a squad, with already too many lightweights, to start with....Digne,Dendoncker, Olsen, Augustinsen, Bednarek, were not the right signings.....it is lazy scouting.

Take Olsen as one example, do you mean tell me, we couldn't find a young up and coming keeper, on loan with an option to buy, to work with.......Oh Sorry, our revered Goal keeping coach (who has built a reputation with us),has gone...another shot in the foot.

The decision making at the club, leaves me, in a state of flux.....not sure, what to think, other than unconvincing, dubious thoughts about where we are going.

We have to give the new manager time, but I don't think he thought, he was coming in to this.

This mental state of this team has been around, for some time....and we can blame, who we like.....but unless a clear, acknowledgment of this ugly side we have in our psyche, is appreciated and addressed, we will see more of it.

We need some pragmatic leaders to come in....not these show ponies, who duck, when a pidgeon flys over....and what do we do, keep signing them, and expect a situation to go away.....Einstein had a quote for it.

This team still has a soft underbelly, and signing a very capable 23 year old, isn't enough.

We can all keep talking, until the cows come home, but unless we get the recruitment right, this isn't going away.....Coaching alone, won't fix this.....he needs the ingredients to work with.

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Players who has not played a game together before coming up against a team who plays together every week and will treat this like a cup final.

When you keep disrespecting the cup you will keep getting disappointing results.

That team, should be busting a gut, to get a first team shirt....We are in danger of making too many excuses

I accept your point, but most of the play, smacks of mentality, not rustiness.

can we use that excuse for a division 2 no 9....moving around our right back as if he wasn't there in the 38 minute, and planting a cross shot on to the bar.

If we have any notion of moving forward, this stuff has to be addressed.

I listened to Steve Evans interview after the game and have to give him credit. At 1 all he could have settled but decided to carry on going for it. He also mentioned that they knew Villa would crowd the box at corners and expect them to put the ball in every time. They had discussed the right time to take short corners and the amount of space they though they would have as a result. Smart guy

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I could cope with most of the changes, but Olsen, FFS! His utter ineptitude has cost us both cup games this season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I felt exactly the same when my lad asked me 4 hours before kick off if I wanted to go. Did I really want to go? after all it was on the TV. Mrs T said you know you will enjoy it once you are there. I wonder how long I will keep going. I am 65 on Wednesday and will be VTID but the call is not the same. I will continue to wear the colours and follow every game. As I said in a previous comment I enjoyed the time with my lad and grand daughter. But it has become an effort, I haven't felt like that before 55 years of home and away games. I wonder if its an age related  thing for me, Did I go for my family or for myself. I feel I have lost something 

Much like you Rob, I'm in my 70's and been Villa all my life....I was there in Rotterdam, to witness a team who despite being out flanked by superior reputations, "would never say die", ..............That mentality, is completely lost on this team, I could go on about them, but whats the point.

I know, we have an Elite manager, but I am unsure, if he will be able to change this, its a huge job, to change the mentality of the team and will take dedicated support from the owners....The previous 2 couldn't and I think it will take huge backing from the club, to root out the malaise....as long as we don't keep adding to it....and I think we have.

I am not convinced, by this squad,one iota, despite one or two good additions......so having the lurgy, has saved me from ranting at VP.......I never accepted the defeat to Liverpool as easy as some have, and its only gone on to be much of the same.

as you say, its hard to motivate yourself for this inconsistent rubbish.....but I guess, for those who live far a field, thats hard to compute.

UTV

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, Risso said:

I could cope with most of the changes, but Olsen, FFS! His utter ineptitude has cost us both cup games this season.

Gah this is so depressingly true.

57 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

We needed some magic moments yesterday.

Â