• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

4 hours ago, TRO said:

What if the strongest 11 had of done that?....Its not beyond them, I've seen it before.

I  do agree  with you, it should have been the strongest team......but all this tripe,  is deeper than that....Its not  a one off.

That team picked should have beaten Stevenage, they should have had the motivation of gaining a first team place....most looked like they wanted out.

Players who has not played a game together before coming up against a team who plays together every week and will treat this like a cup final.

When you keep disrespecting the cup you will keep getting disappointing results.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It's not just about the player's quality on a piece of paper.

These players has barely played a game together before. There was poor chemistry all over the pitch.

2 or 3 changes I'd be fine with but 8 changes is idiotic.

Idiotic is harsh but I did wince a bit when I saw the line up.

9 hours ago, WHY said:

I have a season ticket but it feels like a big effort going down sometimes. I also get frustrated with the lack of effort and I often vent my anger which probably isn’t very helpful but they just frustrate the life out of me. I used to enjoy going down when we had Grealish, I just liked watching him play football. Even if we lost I still got some enjoy out of it. Now we just have a load of players who aren’t that likeable. I like McGinn because he’s a good kid but the rest of them lack any sort personality. 

I felt exactly the same when my lad asked me 4 hours before kick off if I wanted to go. Did I really want to go? after all it was on the TV. Mrs T said you know you will enjoy it once you are there. I wonder how long I will keep going. I am 65 on Wednesday and will be VTID but the call is not the same. I will continue to wear the colours and follow every game. As I said in a previous comment I enjoyed the time with my lad and grand daughter. But it has become an effort, I haven't felt like that before 55 years of home and away games. I wonder if its an age related  thing for me, Did I go for my family or for myself. I feel I have lost something 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It's not just about the player's quality on a piece of paper.

These players has barely played a game together before. There was poor chemistry all over the pitch.

2 or 3 changes I'd be fine with but 8 changes is idiotic.

Can’t argue with that to be fair.

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

We've lived through some very depressing times with Villa. We are obviously now in a great position relative to our last 30 years. Perfect owners. Perfect manager. A few really good players. But it's just not happening yet. I think because we are so anticipatory about the next steps up that we stumble upon the immediate step. It's incredibly frustrating. I try not to let Villa anger me, but I'm **** angry tonight. I was really looking forward to an FA Cup run with Emery. But these players are just a collective calamity every few games. Same old Villa. I'm so fed up with the mediocrity. 

Agreed. 

26 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I felt exactly the same when my lad asked me 4 hours before kick off if I wanted to go. Did I really want to go? after all it was on the TV. Mrs T said you know you will enjoy it once you are there. I wonder how long I will keep going. I am 65 on Wednesday and will be VTID but the call is not the same. I will continue to wear the colours and follow every game. As I said in a previous comment I enjoyed the time with my lad and grand daughter. But it has become an effort, I haven't felt like that before 55 years of home and away games. I wonder if its an age related  thing for me, Did I go for my family or for myself. I feel I have lost something 

I honestly think it’s the dross that we put out week in week out. If we had players out there who gave everything for the badge then even the losses would be easy to take. But the players can’t be bothered, so I’m not surprised you’re struggling to muster the energy to go. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Idiotic is harsh but I did wince a bit when I saw the line up.

You winced looking at that line up and thought they may struggle against a League 2 team? I can’t see how.  

Yes they may have not played together in a competitive match but they train together daily, full of internationals.  Emery would’ve taken through a detailed game plan because we know that’s what he does….I’m not sure what there was to wince about.  

In fact most fact on here was talking about even a weaker team should be played.

Yes certainly things Emery could’ve/should’ve differently but that team should’ve easily had too much for Stevenage.  Some of the players just didn’t deliver from the likes of Coutinho, Bailey etc…

The line up was plenty strong enough and prepared to win this game….it’s a huge, embarrassing defeat for us but I can’t blame Emery for this.  The one positive I can take from it is that Emery will have seen what the fringe players can do and won’t have been impressed…

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Almost same age as you and feel exactly the same way.

I live near Cambridge and the 2 hr journey to VP and 2 hrs back home has never looked as depressing as it does now. Especially having to witness that tippy tappy pointless aimless dull stuff that's supposed to be called football

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

The biggest mistake emery made was not bringing on kamara for me. Im convinced if kam was bought on we would have comfortably held on.

I don’t know, it was a silly Dendoncker mistake from the goalkeeper playing out and then not defending or ready for a corner.  It wasn’t due to the play really, it was stupid mistakes.  We didn’t create or take our chances, too many players were poor…bringing Kamara might have made no difference to the two goals given how they happened.  It was just a bad all round display and punished for two mistakes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You winced looking at that line up and thought they may struggle against a League 2 team? I can’t see how.  

Yes they may have not played together in a competitive match but they train together daily, full of internationals.  Emery would’ve taken through a detailed game plan because we know that’s what he does….I’m not sure what there was to wince about.  

In fact most fact on here was talking about even a weaker team should be played.

Yes certainly things Emery could’ve/should’ve differently but that team should’ve easily had too much for Stevenage.  Some of the players just didn’t deliver from the likes of Coutinho, Bailey etc…

The line up was plenty strong enough and prepared to win this game….it’s a huge, embarrassing defeat for us but I can’t blame Emery for this.  The one positive I can take from it is that Emery will have seen what the fringe players can do and won’t have been impressed…

Because that back 4 and midfield has never played so much as a friendly together before, in fact most of them won’t have. Yes, individually they will be better than League 2 players but it is not an individual game.

Im in no way blaming Emery for the defeat, we should have had enough quality to at least see the game out.

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

An observation on the refereeing - something on both tonight's game and on the Liverpool - Wolves one really.

For the Wolves goal that was disallowed, the ref motioned to the linesman to put up his flag, encouraging him to flag so that VAR could take a look at it. He didn't know whether the goal was offside or not and we're not sure if the linesman was sure or not of whether the player was offside, so the ref asked him to flag so that they could be sure - let's make a decision and force VAR to decide. As a result, offside was the decision and when VAR couldn't be found, that decision stood and Wolves were robbed of what seemed to be a perfectly good goal.

Tonight, the ref originally gave a free kick outside the box, and looked like he might book Dendoncker, but then seemed to change his mind and give the penalty as he knew that this would give VAR a chance to have a look at it. It essentially gets him off the hook if he gives the penalty, because VAR can be involved. If he's wrong and he gives a penalty, VAR corrects him, if he's wrong and he doesn't give it, there's no VAR and he would be open to criticism. I've not seen more than one replay and I'm not sure whether the free kick or the penalty was the right decision, but I think the ref gave a decision which allowed him to pass on the responsibility to someone else.

I'm really not sure I like referee's using VAR this way - if you have to disallow a goal or you have to give a penalty just so that you can use video replays, then the system isn't functioning correctly. It's there to correct obvious errors and is being used by referee's to say here's a decision that I think might be wrong, tell me what you think. 

I can't quite describe that properly and I might be imagining it, but it doesn't feel right to me.

I think you are spot on there, he clearly changed his mind following the protests of their players. The problem with VAR in this case was, it usually doesn't change the decision the referee has already made and it was happy to go with his second decision last night. I also agree that VAR isn't functioning correctly, but I doubt that it ever will. 

That result sends a loud message that the squad needs a lot of work. 

Too many are playing like squad players and maybe that's what they are.

People can criticise the manager, and maybe that's fair but for me there was enough "first team" players on the pitch to beat a league 2 side, they didn't even play that well it wasn't like one of those performances you never forget.

We didn't put the game away and we got sucker punched, we deserved it to so the players either learn from it or they don't.

I don't think with so many things in place that the club intend to muck about, there are some players that I'm big fans of but on tonights performance they look like squad players for where we want to go...

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Because that back 4 and midfield has never played so much as a friendly together before, in fact most of them won’t have. Yes, individually they will be better than League 2 players but it is not an individual game.

Im in no way blaming Emery for the defeat, we should have had enough quality to at least see the game out.

But I don’t think the defence or midfield was really that troubled, we completely dominated possession and yes they had a few chances but the midfield and defence weren’t really troubled for most of the match.  A stupid mistake between Olsen and Dendoncker, then failure to defend the start of a corner wasn’t about the team having played together before or not.

We dominated possession but as a team did nothing with that in terms of scoring goals, finishing the game.  Arguably that was advanced midfield and attack issue rather than midfield and defence.  Stupid mistakes were the goals rather than having played together before was really my point.

4 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

That's just about true, sadly. 

The following Villa players all earn more than Stevenage's entire payroll (about £2mil), per Salary Sport. Sorry, it's in USD.

Player Name Weekly Wage Yearly Salary Age Position Nationality
Boubacar Kamara $239,750 $12,467,000 22 D C, DM France
Philippe Coutinho $171,250 $8,905,000 30 AM LC Brazil
Danny Ings $171,250 $8,905,000 29 ST England
Lucas Digne $164,400 $8,548,800 28 D/WB L France
Diego Carlos $137,000 $7,124,000 29 D C Brazil
Emiliano Martínez $137,000 $7,124,000 29 GK Argentina
Leon Bailey $116,450 $6,055,400 24 AM RL Jamaica
Ashley Young $113,710 $5,912,920 37 D/WB/M RL England
Emiliano Buendía $112,340 $5,841,680 25 AM RC Argentina
Leander Dendoncker $102,750 $5,343,000 27 D C, DM Belgium
Ezri Konsa $98,640 $5,129,280 24 D C England
John McGinn $95,900 $4,986,800 27 DM, AM C Scotland
Jacob Ramsey $95,900 $4,986,800 21 AM C England
Tyrone Mings $91,790 $4,773,080 29 D LC England
Matty Cash $87,680 $4,559,360 24 D/WB/M R Poland
Jan Bednarek $82,200 $4,274,400 26 D C Poland
Morgan Sanson $80,830 $4,203,160 27 AM C France
Douglas Luiz $71,240 $3,704,480 24 DM Brazil
Calum Chambers $71,240 $3,704,480 27 D RC, DM England
Ollie Watkins $60,280 $3,134,560 26 AM RL, ST

This list is tragic. Of our top ten earners, how many would you want in our first 11? Kamara, Carlos and MArtinez? That's it for me. Coutinho, Ings and Digne being in our top 5 earners is an absolute joke.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t know, it was a silly Dendoncker mistake from the goalkeeper playing out and then not defending or ready for a corner.  It wasn’t due to the play really, it was stupid mistakes.  We didn’t create or take our chances, too many players were poor…bringing Kamara might have made no difference to the two goals given how they happened.  It was just a bad all round display and punished for two mistakes.

I agree it was mistakes but having kam on there i think defensively would have been hard for stevange to get close to our box. We would have looked more solid in the middle and thats where we looked atrocious 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This list is tragic. Of our top ten earners, how many would you want in our first 11? Kamara, Carlos and MArtinez? That's it for me. Coutinho, Ings and Digne being in our top 5 earners is an absolute joke.

In fairness to Ings I think he at least produces some end product compared with the other two, it's not his fault we paid him overs.

• Like 1

Our U21s have beat Leauge One teams in the EFL Trophy, yesterday's team should have been not only good enough to win but good enougth to win comfortably.

We played a much weaker team away to Barrow a few seasons back and won 6-0, we actually started three academy players in that match, because of mitigating circumstances, I'm not sure if that was an option yesterday, but would have much preffered us to play a strong team made up of mostly our first choice eleven but with on or two youngsters if possible.

Stevenage play Stoke in the next round, I bet Stoke win comfortably, and the Stoke team won't be anywhere near as strong as the team we put out yesterday.

Was just an inexplicably bad performance from the players.

• Like 4

Â