• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

Newcastle and Eddie Ten Haag got knocked out by Sheffield Wednesday.

I know how much the Cup means to some people, but the Cup is such for a reason.

To produce these kinds of results. We move on!

Good timing in the window though, some players have signed their exit papers 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Emery just walks off, don't blame him at all, normally very calm and measured but I hope he lets rip!

I have it on good authority, he had extra baked beans on his Full English Breakfast.

I can't say, I expected it......but after it happened, I can't say, I'm surprised. This football team has shown these traits for too long, its crept in to the culture, and its crash burning managers.

This has happened too many times, to too many managers.....and its going to take a focused approach financially and personnel wise to get this right.

This squad lacks leaders, In the main, we sign the wrong kind of players, and when they don't work out, we sign the same type over and over again.

This situation will never change, if we don't change it......and so far, with the odd exception, I don't see it changing.

I suspect we will go out again, and sign players, but the same scenario's will remain.

Where is our John Terry or Dennis Mortimer?...When do we sign a player, they all look up to and he is the manager on the pitch.

That game was a disgrace at 1-0 up, no running off the ball and nothing passes in front of the opposition, to constitute effort....never mind losing after, 88 minutes.....88  minutes and they couldn't see the game out..............This is the Wolves debacle 10 times worse.....Those Stevenage players must have smelled blood, from a team devoid of any urgency or intensity.....it was like a bloody testimonial at times, and the pace was likely to cause Rigor Mortis.

Whatever the blue print is for this rebuild....it needs ripping up and a complete rethink.

Teams like Brentford, Newcastle and Brighton, not to mention Fulham......could teach us a thing or two.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Yes it should but you always risk  bad results when you don't pick your strongest team.

We are  not in Europe. We are in a mid table no man's land in the league.

There was no reason not playing our strongest XI

What if the strongest 11 had of done that?....Its not beyond them, I've seen it before.

I  do agree  with you, it should have been the strongest team......but all this tripe,  is deeper than that....Its not  a one off.

That team picked should have beaten Stevenage, they should have had the motivation of gaining a first team place....most looked like they wanted out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The team was more than strong enough to win comfortably today. Manager has to take some blame in a defeat but the players trying to get a place in the team have really let themselves down.

I think they are trying for a hat trick.

They have managed to get rid of 2 managers before, trying for a third.

half of these lightweights need shipping out.

He has a big job on....and I hope the financiers can help him, buy his way out of much of this crap.

They are not his players in terms of recruitment, and the club need to remember that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Who else would you play right wing? We have no wingers.

we had plenty, but off loaded them, because they were sub standard.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Still believe we are mentally weake and it's been a problem for the last decade we go to water with a bit of pressure on us no excuse tonight whatsoever.

we don't like heavy traffic.....we like big wide open spaces to play our passive football in.

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Only positive I can muster is that Emery will tear team to pieces and sell a load of them. Thats if anyone will buy them

would you?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Are you suggesting that international footballers should not be able to beat a 4th division team made up of plumbers and office workers?

Plumbers? Disrespectful. This is the attitude the players had.

I said before the game I didn't want a full side of reserves. Stevenage win every week and are going to get promoted this year.

5 hours ago, jim said:

If we’d lost to a low Orem team or even Championship I’d say fair do’s players aren’t good enough but this was a 4th division team.

I like Emery but he shoulders a large portion of the blame. Can’t  have it both ways.

Really really poor to lose to 4th div side.

The team was good enough though. Emery takes blame along with the players, but they let him down more than he let the fans down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villa4europe said:

We started with 6 internationals, 3 of them were at the world cup, and 4 more ex internationals, sanson was our only uncapped player

And then the subs made us stronger!

Its not the line up, that's not the excuse today

Huge underlying mental problems at this club, the work rate and movement were absolutely **** garbage, Ive never seen a team as bad at moving and showing for the ball as villa, I just don't get it

you are right....this has been an issue for too long.....I think Man U and Everton have had similar issues.

You only have to see the intensity, from other teams, to know, we have a huge problem.....only in some games, do they show urgency and desire...we simply don't know, who is turning up.

We are all searching for answers, as the 2 previous managers were.....This issue needs some serious focus, but we don't know what constraints the managers have had, in dealing with it......I was totally underwhelmed after the Carlos & Kamara additions, I didn't get that part of the ambition narrative.....2 good signings followed by a lull and then ........that lot.

I think we need to examine carefully, who we sign, because up to now.....I don't see many leaders amongst them.

Sometimes the most talented, are not always the best.....This team lacks certain ingredients.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Apologies in advance for a personal rant but what has pissed me off most about this is that  I’d paid to take my 11 year old to Liverpool, Wolves and Stevenage. He was so excited, loved that it was “our hobby”, is Villa obsessed. Was ok about the Liverpool defeat, philosophical about the Wolves draw but completely gutted about today. Really low. Now has asked if we can start going to less matches (we’ve already paid for Leeds on Friday). He’s been going for a few seasons now so used to defeats but this has been a new low. F**k you Villa.

There were similar traits in all 3 games.

Its not a time right now, to be expecting too much, such is the inconsistency of this team

I'm not sure, many folk know whats wrong with us.......but wrong, there is.

There are things we are doing, on and off the pitch that are consistent, in us being inconsistent in our play....I hope Unai can spot it and remedy it, because it has helped to take the jobs of 2 managers before.

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I would put very little of that result on Emery. He picked a team containing 10 full internationals against a side whose wages combined wouldn't add up to what the lowest paid player in our team earns. ...

That's just about true, sadly. 

The following Villa players all earn more than Stevenage's entire payroll (about £2mil), per Salary Sport. Sorry, it's in USD.

Player Name Weekly Wage Yearly Salary Age Position Nationality
Boubacar Kamara $239,750 $12,467,000 22 D C, DM France
Philippe Coutinho $171,250 $8,905,000 30 AM LC Brazil
Danny Ings $171,250 $8,905,000 29 ST England
Lucas Digne $164,400 $8,548,800 28 D/WB L France
Diego Carlos $137,000 $7,124,000 29 D C Brazil
Emiliano Martínez $137,000 $7,124,000 29 GK Argentina
Leon Bailey $116,450 $6,055,400 24 AM RL Jamaica
Ashley Young $113,710 $5,912,920 37 D/WB/M RL England
Emiliano Buendía $112,340 $5,841,680 25 AM RC Argentina
Leander Dendoncker $102,750 $5,343,000 27 D C, DM Belgium
Ezri Konsa $98,640 $5,129,280 24 D C England
John McGinn $95,900 $4,986,800 27 DM, AM C Scotland
Jacob Ramsey $95,900 $4,986,800 21 AM C England
Tyrone Mings $91,790 $4,773,080 29 D LC England
Matty Cash $87,680 $4,559,360 24 D/WB/M R Poland
Jan Bednarek $82,200 $4,274,400 26 D C Poland
Morgan Sanson $80,830 $4,203,160 27 AM C France
Douglas Luiz $71,240 $3,704,480 24 DM Brazil
Calum Chambers $71,240 $3,704,480 27 D RC, DM England
Ollie Watkins $60,280 $3,134,560 26 AM RL, ST

The only clean shirts I have today are my Villa tops and a pink tank top.

I chose the pink tank top. Its the least embarrassing.

Even before that disastrous final 10 minutes we were awful.

Yes it's hard against 11 men behind the ball but after 30 minutes we found the key to the door - then we promptly swallowed the key and spent the rest of the game at the front gate scratching our heads.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Teams like Brentford, Newcastle and Brighton, not to mention Fulham......could teach us a thing or two.

Hmmm. How did Newcastle get on in the cup? When did they last win anything? How have they been run?

Brentford and Brighton, yes, that’s fair. Stability, having an underdog mentality, not having an expectation and demand of winning trophies right NOW, not throwing their teddies out if things go wonky. Growing their club bit by bit. Taking setbacks on the chin. Instant success doesn’t happen. I’m not having a go, or excusing anything and you’re dead right about the character of some players and the need for leadership in the team, particularly with McGinn, Emi and Tyrone not playing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

The same fans upset with Unai for today's lineup would be roasting him if he threw the normal XI out there today and we then lost to Leeds Friday. A Premier League bench should be able to beat a League Two side. This is on the players.

I'd much rather play a reserve team against Leeds in the league where we have nothing to play for. 

This was a chance to win a trophy. I'm absolutely gutted. 

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I'd much rather play a reserve team against Leeds in the league where we have nothing to play for. 

Mate I think that reserve team had over 100 international caps. When I saw it I expected them to win comfortably and actually thought the squad was quite strong. There is something seriously wrong with these players.

Shit result goes without saying.

Am I upset that we’re out? Of course

is it embarrassing? Of course

Were we realistically going to win it? No

Shit happens, not the worst thing that could possibly have happened.  Let’s move on.

Like the man said, it’s a process.  Let him proceed without piling pressure on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Mate I think that reserve team had over 100 international caps. When I saw it I expected them to win comfortably and actually thought the squad was quite strong. There is something seriously wrong with these players.

These players has barely played a game together and it showed by the little amount of chances we were able to create.

There were no chemistry in this team and the result doesn't surprise me.

For me a squad is there to cover for injuries or suspensions.

Play our strongest team and we win this game. We have something to look forward to. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I know what you mean, and I’m not trying to be a dick, rather I think I’m trying to comfort myself when I ask…

How much chance did we actually have though?

(I concede the answer ‘is infinitely more than 0’)

Â