• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

1 hour ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I like a good rant myself but I think we can say that Stevenage defended well, Villa were cruising until one guy cocked-up, which led to an equaliser and the sending-off messed up Villa's defence at the corner.

Villa's defence lacked an organising personality, with Mings left on the bench.

Conclusion: the manager didn't take Stevenage or the competition seriously and paid the price.

So, On that basis after 3 years in the top flight, we rely on one player, to organise us.

If thats so, I think we are goosed.

I suspect, there is a malaise/under current at BMH and Unai, is just realising, what the other 2 had to deal with.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Pinebro said:

These players has barely played a game together and it showed by the little amount of chances we were able to create.

There were no chemistry in this team and the result doesn't surprise me.

For me a squad is there to cover for injuries or suspensions.

Play our strongest team and we win this game. We have something to look forward to. 

So who do you aim your criticism at,for that?

Do you think that whilst, he wanted to win the game....he also needs to be sure, (with the window open and an undisclosed budget, to balance).....what he needs in this window.

Maybe he thought, taking your comments in to consideration, they had enough to get a result against a plucky Division 2 team.....problem is, these lower league teams have something we lack, and its not talent.

Maybe a few of us could have told him, they have the talent, but these games require, intensity, urgency desire and courage.....now On that, he has just learnt, what his second string have or have not.

I will be watching the incomings to see if we have learnt anything from this.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

So, On that basis after 3 years in the top flight, we rely on one player, to organise us.

I suspect, there is a malaise/under current at BMH and Unai, is just realising, what the other 2 had to deal with.

It looked like Villa had one plan at set-pieces, which was to cluster around Piergianni, who posed an aerial threat, when Dendoncker went off no one thought to detail someone to cover the near post for the corner.

Conclusion: no one took charge!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It looked like Villa had one plan at set-pieces, which was to cluster around Piergianni, who posed an aerial threat, when Dendoncker went off no one thought to detail someone to cover the near post for the corner.

Conclusion: no one took charge!

Thats what happens when a squad is short of defenders adequately built to take care of players like him.....its not rocket science.

size matters in central Defence.....it matters in goal, and it matters at Centre forward.....we have been weak with aerial threats for seasons, we rely on one man, in the main.

We have highlighted how much we rely on Mings.....it was the same situation in the first game, when Kieffer Moore dismantled us, and Mings was left out....funny that.

This is basic stuff......There are no excuses for a club like ours making these rickets/misjudgements.

I don't know whats going on behind the scenes, but some of the decisions, leave me baffled.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

The result yesterday was an anomaly, a smash and grab.  The team we put out yesterday we should have been out of sight at half time.

No it really wasn't. We were too inept to put a home game to bed versus a side in the fourth tier. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

I was at the game the team played within themselves like a friendly took the lead and thought the game was won and got bit on the arse.

That's a mindset that Unai will need to sort out.

The team picked should have won the game it's a squad game these days he has to see his squad in action and keep them happy but they let him down!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

The result yesterday was an anomaly, a smash and grab.  The team we put out yesterday we should have been out of sight at half time.

If the club, think like that, this crap will never change.

Its simply not an anomaly....its in the DNA and needs rooting out.

Its simply happened too many times, and under different managers.....and unchecked, it will happen again.

Unai has to get a firm and disciplined grip of this, and root out this lethargic poison.

43 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

No it really wasn't. We were too inept to put a home game to bed versus a side in the fourth tier. 

I disagree, 9 times out of 10 we would have beat them with the players we fielded.

The only person, I feel sorry for, is the manager.....They let him down......We are used to it, he isn't.

The hierarchy and the players are the only common denominators, in all of this.

He has given these peripheral players a chance, and they have laughed in his face.

Unai has only just come in......and has to trust folk. I suspect, he will be very careful with that moving forward.

If I was him, I would be very careful, who to trust.....because these performances cost jobs.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The thing about us just being too soft/nice has been around for years. I remember going back to John Gregory's time as Manager he said we were just too nice to the other teams. We need a nasty piece of work who wears heart on sleeve maybe?

• Like 1

Just now, Hev said:

The thing about us just being too soft/nice has been around for years. I remember going back to John Gregory's time as Manager he said we were just too nice to the other teams. We need a nasty piece of work who wears heart on sleeve maybe?

been needing it for yonks.....but we just ignore it.

It has been said in some quarters for some time......but I don't see an appetite for it.....thats why, I don't see a change anytime soon.

It will just be different faces doing the same thing.

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

But I don’t think the defence or midfield was really that troubled, we completely dominated possession and yes they had a few chances but the midfield and defence weren’t really troubled for most of the match.  A stupid mistake between Olsen and Dendoncker, then failure to defend the start of a corner wasn’t about the team having played together before or not.

We dominated possession but as a team did nothing with that in terms of scoring goals, finishing the game.  Arguably that was advanced midfield and attack issue rather than midfield and defence.  Stupid mistakes were the goals rather than having played together before was really my point.

Stupid mistakes, agreed, but someone HAS to be in charge of organising the defence at every set piece. Looks like nobody out there knew whose responsibility it was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Take Olsen as one example, do you mean tell me, we couldn't find a young up and coming keeper, on loan with an option to buy, to work with.......Oh Sorry, our revere

What about Filip Marchsall? Would have been a good idea to have given him the chance....

I agree with you TRO, lots of teams dont seem to be worried about playing 21 year olds...we seem to farm them out on loans and play "old" players running down their career...

Wish we could give our "hungry", ambitious young players a chance...as I said, other clubs do

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigJim said:

Stupid mistakes, agreed, but someone HAS to be in charge of organising the defence at every set piece. Looks like nobody out there knew whose responsibility it was.

These are "professional" footballers it's their job, stuff like this, should be second nature to them, they shouldn't need telling the bleeding obvious...unless footballers are even less intelligent then I thought🤣

• Like 1

Â