• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My opinion of him doesn’t matter. He’s not in our first XI, he rarely even comes on as a sub. He’s second string by the very definition of the term

Serious question - do you believe he is second string? 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

A loud round of boos at full time. I’m might have missed them but I think all but 2 or 3 players headed straight down the tunnel. Ashley Young was one of those who clapped the Holte. Can’t remember the other 2.

Atmosphere was mainly flat but so was the game. We didn’t deserve to be so poor and win tbh. 

The had the early one chalked off for offside, One off the bar, the pen and the late goal.

Our shooting from the edge of the box was embarrassing. 

I commend you for going and sitting through that. I’d have been fuming had I paid to witness that. You deserve a medal. And your money back. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It'll be a few years until my daughter is old enough, but I honestly don't think I can do it to her

I did and although they don’t thank me for it (often) they continue to follow the cause and stand their ground in areas well away from Birmingham.  It’s the people at the Villa that cause the shit.

2 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Serious question - do you believe he is second string? 

I don’t understand why you’re asking. He is second string. Do you understand what the term means?

He’s not first choice. Therefore he’s second string. It doesn’t matter what I think

Just now, striker said:

Have been saying it for quite some time now that Villa’s midfield is absolute trash!! Luiz, McGinn, Donk, Sanson, Ramsey (when fit) all need moved on at the earliest opportunity!

Coutinho was also an awful signing and said so to to a Villa mate of mine. Bailey has also been a disastrous signing. Olson is nowhere near an able backup to Martinez.

Emery will be left in no doubt after that rank performance that he has a major rebuilding job on his hands this month, the summer and probably beyond that. 

Being both an Everton & now more so a Villa supporter it’s been a tough watch recently but I’m not even angry at such a performance today. With the current Villa squad I expected it!

jeez, talk about overreaction. first, you probably missed the last part of the first post where it was said except Douglas Luiz.

Second, you want us to sell 5 out of our 7 midfielders and the two you don't want us to move on are Kamara (obviously) and Nakamba? that's ridiculous

Third, selling Ramsey? are you serious? that is a deluded comment 

This just reeks of a troll post. BTW, all of those midfielders easily would be Everton's best midfielder right now

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I commend you for going and sitting through that. I’d have been fuming had I paid to witness that. You deserve a medal. And your money back. 

It was a last minute decision as my sons match was called off cos of the rain. Should have stayed home and played FIFA instead…

Very annoyed because with a good manager, a decent squad (or so I thought), plus Chelsea out, and one of either Arsenal or City going out , and Stoke up next, we should have had a good run at this competition this year. 

Made the mistake of relying on second string players who were both not up to it and not up for it, and not taking the opposition seriously enough.  If Emery wanted them to prove their worth to him, then they pretty much failed except maybe Sanson.  That said the first choice players weren't any better. 

We seemed to think we had the job done at 85 mins and got casual. 

Olsen was poor on both goals - played Dendoncker into trouble for the first and then let in at his near post for the second. We need a better backup keeper.

Bailey has lost it completely and is the master of the mistimed air-shot.  

Dendoncker was poor on their first goal but was played into trouble by Olsen and normally the first offence, outside the box, is given.  I guess rules change cos it's Villa.

Cash,  Coutinho, Buendia were all dreadful and ineffective.

Ings and Watkins got very little service.  The rest were no better than ok, no-one really stood out as having a good game.

Collectively to blame for the second goal, didn't get themselves organised in time and no-one went out to deal with the short corner.  Amateurish.

I think emery deserves a portion of the blame - should have started with a stronger team, aimed to be 2 or 3 up at half time and then brought on the fringe players. Perhaps he didn't realise just how shit some of our backups are and how shit the attitude would be.

Edited by El Segundo
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Cash limped off so I think he'll be politely told to not rush back. Defence on Friday will be Young Konsa Mings Digne I'm fairly sure.

We need to get on the front foot badly so not sure in what circumstances Coutinho at half pace will start ahead of Buendia.

Ramsey will start ahead of Bailey if he's cleared to start. If not wouldn't shock me if we played Watkins wide.

Personally I thought Sanson did enough today to start on Friday. I assume Dendoncker red carries over to premier league now.

What side do you reckon will play then @WallisFrizz

If Cash is fit, he will start. He won’t be dropped if fit. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bailey started due to lack of other wide options.

Unai found out today that most of the fringe players are not good enough. That looked reminiscent of the performance versus Watford last season with us trying to thread the ball through the middle all of the time. The passing was laboured, and didn’t really stretch their defence other than on a couple of occasions. 

The defence was a shambles, Olsen what can I say, I would play a youth goalkeeper over him. What was that at the end! Shocking!

For me, Cash, Coutinho, Bailey and Olsen are not good enough. I am sure there are many others.

I am so disappointed, I felt we could have given this year good go as a route to European qualification. I hate that we rested so many first team players, and now we are out again. I think I read that we haven’t won any of our last 8 FA Cup matches, that alone is a disgrace.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t understand why you’re asking. He is second string. Do you understand what the term means?

He’s not first choice. Therefore he’s second string. It doesn’t matter what I think

It’s just a question on a forum - don’t worry if you don’t want to answer  - it’s fine 

Edited by ChesterDad

Thankfully I missed the game today as I had a match myself. I genuinely think I would have been banned for life if I had gone. We are such a spineless team, I’m sick of watching so called professional who earn in excess of £40k a week not put a shift in. One thing I know it’s going to be difficult shifting some of these players on with the contracts they have. Worst result in my lifetime, hopefully Emery has them running their balls off on the day of the 4th round, if he doesn’t he will go down in my estimation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

If Cash is fit, he will start. He won’t be dropped if fit. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bailey started due to lack of other wide options.

Can't see any case for Bailey starting after today. I could see the logic after the Wolves miss but today has further dented it given some of the basic errors he was making. Ramsey and Buendia floating around the CF will have to do I'm afraid unless we play both strikers which could well happen.

Cash didn't start v Liverpool or Spurs like he would've under previous managers so I don't think Emery rates him that highly tbh so would expect Young at RB personally regardless of fitness.

Edited by VillaChris

I was happy enough with the starting line up (although Dougie playing so long surprised me), as we need to be on it and energetic against Leeds (which is a huge game now). 

What has surprised me today and against wolves is how lethargic the players look. Most have just had a long break. 

2 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

It’s just a question on a forum - don’t worry if you don’t want to answer  - it’s fine 

I’ve answered. Yes he is second string. He’s not in our first XI, therefore he is second string

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Can't see any case for Bailey starting after today. I could see the logic after the Wolves miss but today has further dented it given some of the basic errors he was making. Ramsey and Buendia floating around the CF will have to do I'm afraid unless we play both strikers which could well happen.

Cash didn't start v Liverpool or Spurs like he would've under previous managers so I don't think Emery rates him that highly tbh so would expect Young at RB personally regardless of fitness.

I hope you’re right.

Â