• Coutinho
    • Buendía (Coutinho 66)
    • Ramsey (Sanson 67)
    • Young (Casj 71)
    • Watkins (Ings 72)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/23 at 23:59

I said it in the match thread but the zonal defending/marking from that corner was horrendous. Every player in our box waiting for the cross allowing them to play out and get the shot off unopposed. It was some of the worst set piece defending I've ever witnessed. At any level. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

A loud round of boos at full time. I’m might have missed them but I think all but 2 or 3 players headed straight down the tunnel. Ashley Young was one of those who clapped the Holte. Can’t remember the other 2.

Atmosphere was mainly flat but so was the game. We didn’t deserve to be so poor and win tbh. 

The had the early one chalked off for offside, One off the bar, the pen and the late goal.

Our shooting from the edge of the box was embarrassing. 

I'm not really sure why Ashley Young or any player would feel the need to clap to the fans. I mean that's get to be one of the worst results and performances in recent history. Ashley young it was yes who came over, the guy who came on with us one nil up and saw it turn around to two one. Not having ago at him individually, just find the clapping with the fans odd.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In the last 3 years I've gone from loving it every week, to not being too attached, to currently thinking I wouldn't give these players the steam off my piss. More fool anyone who'll shell out hundreds of pounds to watch this dross.

I have a season ticket but it feels like a big effort going down sometimes. I also get frustrated with the lack of effort and I often vent my anger which probably isn’t very helpful but they just frustrate the life out of me. I used to enjoy going down when we had Grealish, I just liked watching him play football. Even if we lost I still got some enjoy out of it. Now we just have a load of players who aren’t that likeable. I like McGinn because he’s a good kid but the rest of them lack any sort personality. 

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Despite my opinion that the FA Cup is just an enervating consolation prize for the big boys …

The defeat has certainly put a dent in the feel-good delusion we were beginning to enjoying.

Congratulations to Stevenage and I hope it doesn't distract from their promotion campaign.

I know from experience that it is much better being the embarrassor than the embarrassee.

Oh, please take me back the delusion, oh please, o please, mister. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Apologies in advance for a personal rant but what has pissed me off most about this is that  I’d paid to take my 11 year old to Liverpool, Wolves and Stevenage. He was so excited, loved that it was “our hobby”, is Villa obsessed. Was ok about the Liverpool defeat, philosophical about the Wolves draw but completely gutted about today. Really low. Now has asked if we can start going to less matches (we’ve already paid for Leeds on Friday). He’s been going for a few seasons now so used to defeats but this has been a new low. F**k you Villa.

• Sad 4

8 minutes ago, WHY said:

Just had a conversation with my lad. He said he doesn’t feel any connection to the team and it got me thinking. I hadn’t really thought about it before but I pretty much feel the same. We don’t really have any likeable players anymore and it just doesn’t feel like the players are all in it together like they were 3/4 years ago. Losing Grealish not only changed the dynamic of the team but the football club in general imo. 

it's a really good point you make. It feels like the mercenaries have the majority now. 

12 minutes ago, WHY said:

Just had a conversation with my lad. He said he doesn’t feel any connection to the team and it got me thinking. I hadn’t really thought about it before but I pretty much feel the same. We don’t really have any likeable players anymore and it just doesn’t feel like the players are all in it together like they were 3/4 years ago. Losing Grealish not only changed the dynamic of the team but the football club in general imo. 

Pretty much where I’m at. I do feel a connection with Emery though. Let him pull this team apart limb from limb. 

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

Apologies in advance for a personal rant but what has pissed me off most about this is that  I’d paid to take my 11 year old to Liverpool, Wolves and Stevenage. He was so excited, loved that it was “our hobby”, is Villa obsessed. Was ok about the Liverpool defeat, philosophical about the Wolves draw but completely gutted about today. Really low. Now has asked if we can start going to less matches (we’ve already paid for Leeds on Friday). He’s been going for a few seasons now so used to defeats but this has been a new low. F**k you Villa.

What's alarming is all three were home games. We're home against Leeds aren't we? Looks like this world cup break has really ballsed up how we approach home games and also has wisened up sides coming to VP.

3 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

it's a really good point you make. It feels like the mercenaries have the majority now. 

To be fair it was my lad who said it but as soon as he did, I was like, he’s right. Never really thought about it before that. 

Just now, jim said:

Doesn’t matter who the manager is. Lose at home  to 4th division semi-pros they have to take a portion of the blame.

I think Emery has/will be great for us but he’s not immune to criticism. Take the rough with the smooth.

They ain’t semi pro but I agree. No excuse. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's the comment from Emery that is telling. "Maybe they don't have the ambition."

If ever there was a sly dig at those in charge of recruitment there it is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WHY said:

This post saddened me to the core. I remember going to VP for the first times with my dad and having those players who I’d connect with for whatever reason: it made those journeys to the ground magical and something that I shared with him. I thought this was something that all kids experienced, so hearing about your son’s reflections on the team and the lack of connection with the players is really sad. 

I didn’t like Jack’s antics but the fact he was local and sat in the same stands as us did give us something special. Perhaps the modern game doesn’t have space for this anymore? As much as we fight it, is it simply the case that teams are franchises in all but name now and the players are just assets rather than idols for us? To keep this on topic, I have no idea how a manager in the modern game is meant to connect with fans, other than winning things. 

Maybe I’m making too much of it. I’m upset by the result and reading about your kid brought back powerful memories of my own. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I said it in the match thread but the zonal defending/marking from that corner was horrendous. Every player in our box waiting for the cross allowing them to play out and get the shot off unopposed. It was some of the worst set piece defending I've ever witnessed. At any level. 

Olsen was screaming at them to push out and they stood there like statues.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WHY said:

And the players most fans do have a connection with (Martinez, Young, Mings, Ramsey) weren't playing much if at all tonight, which probably isn't a coincidence.

The team that started the match should beat Stevenage at a canter. And it tried to. Stevenage played as you'd expect, super tight defensive, we played at half intensity and struggled to make anything. Combine that with Bailey having a stinker, Coutinho not able to hit the broad side of a barn, Ings barely getting a touch and Dendoncker having a completely brainless moment and we were ****.

The writing is on the wall for a lot of players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

What's alarming is all three were home games. We're home against Leeds aren't we? Looks like this world cup break has really ballsed up how we approach home games and also has wisened up sides coming to VP.

Yes, we’re at home again on Friday. No longer looking forward to it.

• Sad 2

It baffles and fascinates me in equal measure that the team and bench we had today could serve up a defeat to Stevenage. Absolutely no disrespect to Stevenage, fair play, they did what they can and could do. It worked.

But you take Dendonker say, not big money, big wage Coutinho, Ings, Bailey, Luiz etc. But Dendonker. Now his transfer fee must be similar to Stevenages transfer budget for a decade, and his weekly wage is probably the same as their starting 11 combined. This is where I'm fascinated, how does that team and bench and all that collective value fail not only to beat Stevenage, but to lose. That's some going. It feels like its different to other sports in that respect, football. Maybe that's what makes it great, that today is possible. It bloody doesnt feel great today though.

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Lucky for those of us who started our Villa journey in the second division. The kids today have such expectations. 😏 

But, yeah, that’s rough. In a way, it must magnify the gloom feeling for you. But give him time. Disappointed? Disinterested? Hey, he’s on his way to bona fide Villa supporter status. If he’s as unlucky as us, he’ll be back another day, brimming with misplaced hopes 😂 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's the comment from Emery that is telling. "Maybe they don't have the ambition." No Sir, they don't and it's not a trait you can coach. We need players who have a mindset of win at all costs. Until then, I'm afraid, today's debacle won't be the last. 

I can't get over the inept attempt by Watkins to stop the shot that resulted in their second goal. How pathetic, I would drop him for that alone. Same with Buendia, lost possession like a weakling, and it's becoming an habit.

Cash is not the level of player we need to reach the level we aspire to. Bailey has lost all confidence, but that can be repaired, but he probably could do with some time on the bench to reflect on where it's gone awry. 

We need Carlos back pronto, hopefully Moreno arrives, because Digne is not the answer we thought he was. Like I said, let's get players who have the ambition to succeed and are fully on board with where this club wants to be.

Dylan Thomas once said Swansea was the graveyard of ambition. Actually its Villa Park.

• Like 1

Â