January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I cant see there being much money in January unless either a top player becomes available unexpectedly or we are in trouble.

Emery will have a large pool of players to analyse and will have an idea who can improve or fit in to his system and may want to have the season to discover this with little pressure on doing nothing more than getting us midtable this season.

I would also imagine he will have players he will want to move on, with the knowledge that if he generates funds, they will be added to his spending power so will not want to devalue any assets. 

Add in some players on loan and some coming back from injury and our youth players.

There's no point adding more players before removing saleable ones who wont be part of the squad. it's not exciting and I love the excitement of the transfer windows, but I would be more than happy if this year was just trying to sort the squad out so we have an idea come next summer on what the squad needs and can sustainably afford.

16 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I did joke last night about him in this thread along with a few others from Villarreal. On a serious note they seem to have some immense talent in their squad and some very exciting players.

What’s also exciting is if Emery already has his eye on one or two exciting gems in LaLiga that he can now attract to the Premier League.

It’s a league that we don’t seem to tap into for signings very often. 

I agree. We veey rarely do look at this market. We seem to look alot in france. Carlos from sevilla was welcome though from la liga.

Hopefully as he is a a massive name in europe he can attract some real talent here and without having to break the bank.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

If we now persist with a 4231 formation then a wide player, probably right sided, is a must. Watkins and Bailey can both play that side but it’s still feels disjointed when doing so. 

Villarreal do have some exciting wingers I’d love to see us sign. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Villarreal do have some exciting wingers I’d love to see us sign. 

Chukwueze and Danjuma are the obvious links and be interesting if Emery fancies bringing either of them over? Could be very expensive though and he’d be wary of another Pepe flop scenario I’m sure.

41 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If we now persist with a 4231 formation then a wide player, probably right sided, is a must. Watkins and Bailey can both play that side but it’s still feels disjointed when doing so. 

Maybe we'll go back in for Sarr now Gerrard has gone.

• Like 2

I think we’d be okay at CM assuming no issues with Kamara’s return. Him and Luiz in the 4-2-3-1 would be great. Would just depend on outgoing though.

My two priority areas in January would be a proper wide player and CB. If there was a top striker we could attract, it’d be nice, but I imagine the market for that type of player in January is a bit unrealistic.

Will be interesting to see the overall January market though given that it is the first ever after a WC and windows following a major tournament tend to have some surprises. 

Outs - I can see McGinn out of the door soon, I don't know where he fits any more and he has not played well for too long. Coutinho out too for me - unless we see a remarkable change in form.

Ins - I can see us going back for Sarr, him and Bailey either side of Buendia would be lovely. Then a top quality midfielder chosen by Emery to fill the McGinn/Coutinho gap.

Provided we get Carlos and Kamara back in the new year - I believe this is all we will need to do.

• Like 1

Isn't Zaha out of contract at end of the season?

Emery was desperate to sign him for Arsenal so wouldn't shock me if we offer him a wedge next summer although whether he'd be want to join, probably not.

Can't say I'm a massive fan. He was at his worst at Everton, couldn't get any space so just resorted to falling over and getting involved in scuffles with opposition, he has too many of those games.

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Isn't Zaha out of contract at end of the season?

Emery was desperate to sign him for Arsenal so wouldn't shock me if we offer him a wedge next summer although whether he'd be want to join, probably not.

Can't say I'm a massive fan. He was at his worst at Everton, couldn't get any space so just resorted to falling over and getting involved in scuffles with opposition, he has too many of those games.

Zaha is better than anyone we have at Villa. Class player. 

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Zaha is better than anyone we have at Villa. Class player. 

On his day he is. Crystal Palace this season have gone to Everton, Leicester and Newcastle and not scored so if he dosen't fancy it or defenders are getting into him then he can go missing.

I'd steer clear given he's 30 next month and he'll want ridiculous wages on a free. Sort of transfer policy we need to steer clear from again.

Someone mentioned Lo Celso earlier.

Emery clearly rates him given he's taken him on loan in two successive seasons and I never thought he looked that bad at Spurs when he played. Infact he played under Emery at PSG aswell.

He's only 26 so I can see him being a serious target if we move McGinn out although don't know if it's a fixed loan or Spurs could sell him in January.

• Like 4

I've only seen highlights but Nicolas Jackson looks a interesting player, direct and fast, can play either wing or through the middle and I think has also played in midfield, not long turned 21, was linked to Everton and Newcastle in the summer.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1