January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Maybe in this depressing echo chamber, but I'd say out in the wider fanbase i've barely heard it mentioned. 

Perhaps the fans on forums are just more extreme. 

Most of the fans I’ve talked to at the ground and locally think he should be gone so I don’t agree with this point.  In fact only on here have I heard anybody thinking he should get more time, in the real world I’ve only heard people surprised he’s still here.  

The main discussion has been who we should be targeting to replace him with and not to get this next appointment as badly wrong as the hiring of Gerrard.  Learn from the mistake and all that.  The discussion about him going seems a foregone conclusion soon rather than a maybe so it’s all about what’s next and can we recover somewhat this season under a new manager and what can be done in the transfer window to cover injuries or take us to the next level and how our transfer window will depend on who we bring in as the next manager.  

The transfer window is all dependent on who our next manager is rather than who Gerrard wants.  So the discussion is about different formations, who fits those formations and how the new manager will utilise our players for this systems.  This will determine the window.

Edited by nick76

21 hours ago, nick76 said:

The transfer window is all dependent on who our next manager is rather than who Gerrard wants.  So the discussion is about different formations, who fits those formations and how the new manager will utilise our players for this systems.  This will determine the window.

Unless SG is still our manager then and I suspect that he just might be. If he is still our manager in January, then we can't just tread water during the next window in the expectation that at some point in the future, he won't be. Until he leaves, we need to look at bringing players in that he, or anyone that may replace him at some point, can work with.

This topic is about players we might go for in the next window and I think a lot of us come to it, in the hope of seeing a player we have been linked to, or that one of us would like to see us make a move for, rather than focusing on something that may or may not happen, at some future point, involving who manages the players we have/may then. With a view to that, I see that we along with Leeds, have been linked in The Express to Ryan Kent, who will be out of contract at the end of the season: https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1677002/Leeds-Aston-Villa-plan-scouting-mission-Liverpool-Rangers-Champions-League-premier-league

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Yeah because our Danish sporting director wouldn’t have an insight… I mean if we are gunna be making shit up for the sake of negativity at least put some effort in ? 

The transfer policy has been changed to allow this manager to sign whoever he wants.

He likes old players who demand big wages because he'll have to coach them less.

Hopefully you're right and we're across what this lad is doing. Incredible at 16.

• Like 4

To be fair our youth signings generally have been excellent too

Maybe the reason we wouldn't be interested in signing him would be because of who we already have rightly or wrongly

Or Brentford can offer a more realistic chance in the first team sooner

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The transfer policy has been changed to allow this manager to sign whoever he wants.

He likes old players who demand big wages because he'll have to coach them less.

Hopefully you're right and we're across what this lad is doing. Incredible at 16.

We've signed several teenagers since he's been here though. lol

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We've signed several teenagers since he's been here though. lol

Academy players which he has nothing to do with yes.

The best striker come through for about 15 years can't get a sniff of the pitch under him.

Focus for the first team will be old dogs he doesn't have to coach.

We need a Striker. Time to stop spending stupid money and have a transfer plan! The new Mane, Salah, Haaland, Christopher Nkunku, Mbappe are out there we just gotta take a risk before Dortmund, Monaco, Porto, Benfica, Leipzig and Salzburg do.

Ernest Nuamah- 18 Years old- Nordsjaelland- 5 goals in 10 games

13 hours ago, messi11 said:

We need a Striker. Time to stop spending stupid money and have a transfer plan! The new Mane, Salah, Haaland, Christopher Nkunku, Mbappe are out there we just gotta take a risk before Dortmund, Monaco, Porto, Benfica, Leipzig and Salzburg do.

Ernest Nuamah- 18 Years old- Nordsjaelland- 5 goals in 10 games

I don't think it's as straight forward as what you make out, those teams you mention have a reputation of developing youth players and can all offer them CL football and the prospect of the player moving to City, PSG, Bayern etc if the excel.  Also have work permit issues in the UK which would affect players of that age moving from abroad.

16 hours ago, messi11 said:

What could of been :( 

His goal return is considerably worse than Ollie Watkins that's what 'could have been' 🤣 If he'd have produced 27 goals in 102 appearances he'd be getting absolutely mullered on here (OW has produced 26 in 80 in a far harder league and is no way near good enough for us). 

19 hours ago, Steero113 said:

His goal return is considerably worse than Ollie Watkins that's what 'could have been' 🤣 If he'd have produced 27 goals in 102 appearances he'd be getting absolutely mullered on here (OW has produced 26 in 80 in a far harder league and is no way near good enough for us). 

He isnt a striker