162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

So as well as the captain, he's named a vice captain, and club captain.

Ashley **** Young gets the nod for club captain instead of Mings? Are you **** kidding me, Gerrard?

Whenever I’ve played football, the captain is usually one of the first names on the teamsheet and even if he isn’t, you’d expect him to play a lot of minutes and be on the pitch as the leader of the team in both good and bad times. 

That’s what’s so annoying about this. I have nothing against McGinn as a person and I think he’s a very decent option for us as a starter or a substitute but this decision confirms to me that he’ll be getting a lot of game time and I can’t see us improving much with him in the side. 

I’d have hoped we’d be signing a new midfielder to replace him in the starting XI. This decision puts that in doubt, massively.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Whenever I’ve played football, the captain is usually one of the first names on the teamsheet and even if he isn’t, you’d expect him to play a lot of minutes and be on the pitch as the leader of the team in both good and bad times. 

That’s what’s so annoying about this. I have nothing against McGinn as a person and I think he’s a very decent option for us as a starter or a substitute but this decision confirms to me that he’ll be getting a lot of game time and I can’t see us improving much with him in the side. 

I’d have hoped we’d be signing a new midfielder to replace him in the starting XI. This decision puts that in doubt, massively.

On a positive note.... It's been announced on a Wednesday....

Every cloud? 👀

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Outside of Martinez and maybe Cash we have no guaranteed starters. The squad is much of a muchness. I would have given it Martinez for this very reason. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So what’s the different between the captain and the club captain ?

I view the " Club captain " more as an ambassador.

Probably reps the club with off field activities, charity etc?

It's why I thought Ty would get at least that to be fair.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I view the " Club captain " more as an ambassador.

Probably reps the club with off field activities, charity etc?

It's why I thought Ty would get at least that to be fair.

Seems absolutely made for him, even when he wasn't captain, he was doing that role, and made me proud to be a Villa fan. Haven't seen anything from Young to suggest he's more suited to that, and I think it was an absolutely no-brainer decision to show Mings some appreciation and let him save face instead of chucking a title at a past-it bloke who's on a one year contract.

I don't mind Mings not being our captain, per se, but I think he's vastly more deserving of the captain or club captain role ahead of McGinn or Young. 

I also think months and months of talking about it and then making the decision a week or so before the new season is fairly questionable man management, and a bit of a slap in the face. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

My worry about Gerrard is that he's the old school, 'pfm' style of manager - leaving all the technical stuff to the coaching staff while he speaks in platitudes etc. This move does not fill me with confidence.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I also think months and months of talking about it and then making the decision a week or so before the new season is fairly questionable man management, and a bit of a slap in the face. 

But mainly a bit of pointless drama that will have upset Mings and brought a load of drama to McGinns door. For what? Do we really think things are going to be totally different under McGinn? He’s captained twice and we’ve lost both times.

Anyway, it’s done so let’s hope it all works out well. Good luck to Ginny.

I must be one of the select few that couldn't care less who's captain, I doubt the players are that bothered either, of course I'm sure they see it as an honour to have the title, but I don't think the captain has much to do in the way of duties or whatever, it's more of a symbolic thing.

Also it doesn't mean that McGinn is guaranteed to play every game, I'm pretty sure if you go through the captains of every Premier League club and beyond they don't all play every game, I've never heard of the captaincy being a guarantee of starting before, of course they feature in a lot of the games, but McGinn was always going to feature in a lot of our games next season, whether named captain today or not, as other than perhaps Jacob Ramsey he's the best player we've got that plays his position, even if we sign another 'eight' he's still going to get a lot of game time.

And equally just because Mings is no longer captain doesn't mean he's any more likely to be dropped from the team, if he's dropped will be because others are doing better than him, same as if he was still captain, and the same will be the case fo McGinn.

• Like 3

Think the captaincy decision is a bad one BUT maybe both Mings and McGinn will up their games and it’ll be the first time Gerrard makes me think “wow what a great decision.” I suspect not but fingers are crossed.

Edit: on the great decision bit just saw @villabromsgrove set out really nicely why that might be the case - fingers definitely crossed!

Edited by Adam2003

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On a positive note.... It's been announced on a Wednesday....

Every cloud? 👀

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

spacer.png

5 hours ago, villabromsgrove said:

Gerrard has clearly lost his patience with what he probably sees as a malaise afflicting the match day team. He's not trying to be popular, he's shaking things up to get a positive reaction. He will live or die by results this season, so he's obviously determined to do so on his own terms with his own leaders. Good luck to him.

Top post and this bit in particular the more I think about it the more I think you are right. Gerrard had a good taste of what got Deano sacked last season and clearly he was beyond frustrated at times. He has seen enough of the same in preseason he wants major change. 

To give Gerrard credit he isnt taking the easy way out. That would have been to make these changes after a disastrous result and throw the players under the bus. Nope he is taking it all on now before a ball has been kicked, so its all on him, fair enough.

• Like 1

Â