162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

So as we get nearer the start of the season it appears the Captain still hasn't been chosen.

Ming's, Martinez and Young have all had it during pre-season. McGinn is one of our longest serving players and Gerrard had been quoted as saying he may bring in a captain to the side, does Carlos somehow make it in the mix?

For me it should still be Mings, with Martinez very close. Gerrard today saying they're close to deciding between 2 or 3.. who should it be?

I voted for Emi because I think he is the one that is likely to play the most minutes.  I think the signing of Carlos works if he becomes the leader of our back 4.  That becomes more complicated if Mings is the actual captain (unless the captain role is treated as a more symbolic thing).  Similarly, we need to see less of McGinn trying to take on the world in midfield and sticking to the things he does well.  I don't see any benefit in giving it to Young as he just won't be on the pitch enough.

"Stripping" Mings of the captaincy would be tough - especially given what happened at the end of last season / over the summer with him being dropped by England.  But actually I think the WC gives Gerrard his angle - "we want you to focus on being the best defender you can and earning back your place in the England squad for the WC".  Could be a great option as it might (a) keep Mings more focused on his own game but also (b) motivate him to try and earn the captaincy back.  Done the right way I think he'd be initially disappointed but could quickly get over that and not cause a bigger morale issue.  After all he's a pretty big character anyway and so I don't think it would stop a lot of the good stuff he does in and around the team and also the way he represents the club off the pitch.

• Like 1

Keep it with Mings, captaincy is just an ambassador role and has actual no outcome on the game. Its not a cricket or rugby 

Its good to have talkers and organisers on the pitch and an armband wont stop that. Example at Liverpool Gerrard was the captain himself but Carragher did most of the shouting/organising

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Keep it with Mings, captaincy is just an ambassador role and has actual no outcome on the game. Its not a cricket or rugby 

Its good to have talkers and organisers on the pitch and an armband wont stop that. Example at Liverpool Gerrard was the captain himself but Carragher did most of the shouting/organising

Maybe helps with negotiations if ever selling a player which may be another reason a lot of teams have their best player as captain rather than the best leader.  

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

It's between McGinn, Mings and Martinez. I think Mings will keep it and I'll be happy about that. I don't like Goalkeepers being Captain and I'd venture Gerrard probably doesn't either. 

nah i don't either. i think keepers need to get a feel for their areas etc in the mins leading up to kick off. he doesn't need those minutes taken up by coin tosses

mings is captain today so reckon it's still his to lose

Just now, tomav84 said:

20 people so far think mings should effectively be stripped of the captaincy...interested to know why?

Because he chews gum and hoofs the ball - something as daft as that I reckon ;) 

• Like 1

Just now, theboyangel said:

Because he chews gum and hoofs the ball - something as daft as that I reckon ;) 

And supports worthy causes including the fight against racism

Terrible leader 😛

• Like 1

I don't have the same dislike against keeper captains as some. Obviously it's not my first choice most times and it has to be the right guy but there have been some rather good keeper captains through the years.

Buffon, Casillas, Neuer, Schmeichel, Kahn and so on all had moderate success :D 

I'd absolutely be OK with Martinez as captain, think he has everything you'd want in a captain. Not sure stripping Mings of it would be fair thou.

Â