162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Very surprised by this as I don't see him as a leader at all and judging by this thread, neither do any of the fans on here.

Nah I defo see him as one of the leaders, it's more his seemingly his guaranteed starting place this indicates which people are more worried about IMO.

• Like 2

Ashley young??? Are you bloody kidding me?

Either tyrone has voluntary behind the scenes said he doesnt want to be considered as captain or gerrard really didnt think he was a good captain. You dont put bloody ashley young ahead of him. Period

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Ashley young??? Are you bloody kidding me?

Either tyrone has voluntary behind the scenes said he doesnt want to be considered as captain or gerrard really didnt think he was a good captain. You dont put bloody ashley young ahead of him. Period

Gerrard’s quote about him suggests it’s to give him time to focus on his game.

As for Young being club captain - from what I gather he’s a top guy in and around the training ground, especially with the academy players so makes sense he has a role at the club more than just playing staff.

it’s an odd decision for sure but not convinced it should be a stick to beat Gerrard with! 

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Wonder if this has more to do with where Gerrard believes the captain should play

He played under JT as England captain and Carragher was vice at Pool. I doubt it. I think he just doesn't like Mings. 

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

Martinez VC and Ashley young as the Club Captain i believe

I mean, we can moan all we want, but it's a new era I guess, and the Manager wants his own stamp on things.

In this particular situation though i'm not sure I agree, but he would/should know better than me.

I'm trying to figure out what makes Ash deserve Club Captaincy more than Tyrone though.

Although the " Club Captaincy " could also be psychology of making Ash feel valued whilst he doesn't play much as well.

• Like 1

I agree with the sentiment here.  SJM is a great character in the clubhouse by all accounts but I never thought of him as leadership material.  Perhaps SG is hopeful making him Captain will help him raise his game.  The real disappointing thing is:  SJM will once again this season be a nailed on 1st11 when in reality AVFC need to be upgrading in this position.  SJM needs competition not an armband.  This also probably removes the possibility of AVFC signing another top class no8 this window.  Also prolly means our hope of Kamara/JJ/Luiz midfield 3 is likely not going to happen either.

Just a strange decision that frankly I don't agree with at all.

• Like 1

Puzzling. Theoretically this makes McGinn undroppable. On the whole I like him but he shouldn’t be an automatic starter. I would have gone for Emi Martinez.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I mean, we can moan all we want, but it's a new era I guess, and the Manager wants his own stamp on things.

In this particular situation though i'm not sure I agree, but he would/should know better than me.

I'm trying to figure out what makes Ash deserve Club Captaincy more than Tyrone though.

Although the " Club Captaincy " could also be psychology of making Ash feel valued whilst he doesn't play much as well.

I have a feeling Young is barely going to feature this year, but to I guess show him some respect Gerrard wanted to give him the Club Captain role. He'll pretty much be a coach with us more than a player I reckon, but I agree I think Ty should've at the very least been our Club Captain

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Gerrard’s quote about him suggests it’s to give him time to focus on his game.

As for Young being club captain - from what I gather he’s a top guy in and around the training ground, especially with the academy players so makes sense he has a role at the club more than just playing staff.

it’s an odd decision for sure but not convinced it should be a stick to beat Gerrard with! 

I also think it points to the fact that Young will eventually end up in a coaching role at the club when he hangs up his boots.  I don't mind him being the club captain.  But I am in shock about McGinn.  FFS.

• Like 1

Class response from Mings, big fan of that attitude.

McGinn shouldnt be captain, he’s the class clown. Maybe he can thrive and be much better on the pitch with the added responsibility but I would have given it to Martinez personally.

If he throws in 5 stinkers in a row, Gerrard will have to drop him, captain or not, as it will be his arse on the line.

Not many better captains in modern era football than Gerrard himself, so you’d like to think he’s had a good talk with McGinn about what’s expected. Feels like the wrong choice but lets see how we start the season..

UTV

• Like 1

I don’t like it but I also don’t think it matters too much, or will really affect the line ups. Henderson and Milner at Liverpool, for example usually wear the armband. They’ve not been full time fixtures in the team for a while. Maybe it will mean we can drop McGinn without throwing him off his game now and it will be a positive for the squad.

Let’s see what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Did just think to myself though, Jordan Henderson is the Captain at Liverpool, and he isn't really a starter.

I think he became captain when he was a starter and just continued in the role as his playing time has reduced.  But could well be wrong on that.

Â