162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Our team is not balanced when we have all three of Coutinho, McGinn and Ramsey on the field - Gerrard loves all of them - for me you have to choose between Ramsey and McGinn and I think that will quickly become apparent as we progress this year 

100% agree with this. Our midfield is much too attack minded, and the ball retention is crap because of that. I fear the signing of Kamara makes people think he’ll control midfield by himself, when in reality he’ll need at least one more team mate who is solid in possession.

Ramsey and McGinn shouldn’t play together. Ramsey should be 1st choice and McGinn the bench option.

• Like 1

Shame Nakamba isn't any good because we probably could have sold a bunch of Captain Marvelous shirts if he was. Until we got sued by Disney at least.

28 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I'm in the minority (at least on here) on this for two reasons:

1: In my option, the captain should always be a CM (as they're right in the middle of everything)

2: I think Gerrard, one of the greatest captains in the history of the league, is probably better placed than any of us to decide who is, or isn't, captain material.

Besides, he can always take it off him if it's not working out.

These are the plus sides to look at. The downside being they McGinn probably isn't in our best starting 11, unless Coutinho is dropped. And I know which of the two I'd rather have on the pitch

Not long ago Grealish was captain over Mings- Jus sayin…

Also think Gerrard is correct that Tyrone can now just focus on his own game - he will still be the born leader and be just as vocal without the armband. McGinn will raise his performances and crucially hopefully  step up his consistency which is what let’s him down most. Judgement reserved for 12 months is my take on it but it’s not too much of a shock either 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Young as club captain is something that's not really been discussed but is equally as baffling 

Gareth Southgate once described the position of Club Captain (at Villa) as being the player whose mom washes the kit.

It's a ceremonial title I think meant to suggest you have a good character and are someone that others can look up to - I don't think they do much else.

52 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Wonder if this has more to do with where Gerrard believes the captain should play

Which given his decision is actually hilarious based on the performances of the current and former captain. Shit show all around.

31 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I'm in the minority (at least on here) on this for two reasons:

1: In my option, the captain should always be a CM (as they're right in the middle of everything)

2: I think Gerrard, one of the greatest captains in the history of the league, is probably better placed than any of us to decide who is, or isn't, captain material.

Besides, he can always take it off him if it's not working out.

I mean, I know SG one of England’s greatest ever midfielders, won European Champions League etc but what really does he know about football. We on this forum clearly have better judgement than him. I fully agree that McGinn, lovely guy that he is, should be in charge of organising the quiz nights or dressing up as a chicken to lighten the mood of the squad. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Gareth Southgate once described the position of Club Captain (at Villa) as being the player whose mom washes the kit.

It's a ceremonial title I think meant to suggest you have a good character and are someone that others can look up to - I don't think they do much else.

I don’t even know what club captain is.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Then I don't see why ty could've at least kept that role 

Just now, tomav84 said:

Then I don't see why ty could've at least kept that role 

Sorry mate we need someone on the pitch ready to wash Watkins' shirt when he falls over after attempting a volley and kicking nothing but air.

Oh dear McGrath I missed that it was already decided.

Stripping Mings of it to give it to McGinn is a awful choice that I'm certain will backfire on Gerrard.

If it also means that McGinn will start every week then I don't see our season going as any of us hope.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Meh, both Tyrone and John are/should be close to being dropped from the starting 11. For that reason, nether should be captain.  

So who would you put as captain if it had to be an outfield player?

1 minute ago, Stoobs said:

I mean, I know SG one of England’s greatest ever midfielders, won European Champions League etc but what really does he know about football. We on this forum clearly have better judgement than him. I fully agree that McGinn, lovely guy that he is, should be in charge of organising the quiz nights or dressing up as a chicken to lighten the mood of the squad. 

Hard to tell if this is satire or not.

18 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Disagree with that. Think it's the kick up the arse he needs. Has been poor in pre-season. Was a better player for us before becoming captain. 

I don't think it's disrespectful to give an honest assessment like that. It's not like he's saying he's useless or lazy, he's just saying he can and should do better. 

That would all be good if he isnt reqarding mcginn as captain who for me was worse than mings last year

This forum, seems to think McGinn was the weakest link last year and their appears to be a narrative that he is a bit of a clown and shouldn’t be anywhere near squad or an automatic starter. I don’t think that view is shared by others, outwith this thread. I would agree, there are some games he has been poor by his standards and I have been surprised he has stayed on. That being said, I still think he is one of the most important players in the team and deserves the manager’s confidence as much as anyone in the team. 

• Like 4

Â