162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

I think McGinn's getting a harsh ride here, to be honest.

He's a tenacious player who can be ridiculously good at times. We sing his name multiple times a game!

Not sure where this idea he's undroppable has come from either. There was a spell last year where Mings had to win his place back.

Edited by Beastmix
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

It doesn't matter who is captain - who calls heads or tails and who picks ends.

Who tells the players what time to be at breakfast (if it's not the manager doing that). Who speaks more to the media. It doesn't matter. It's not like cricket where the captain makes all the decisions. It's largely symbolic.

Tyrone will still be Tyrone, and SJM will still be SJM. They'll still be two of the more vocal and outgoing players. Both thoroughly good characters and if concentrating solely on his own games allows TM to cut out the occasional unforced error, then fair dos.

Non-issue for me, and I like and admire both players.

I think it does matter and its an indication of the clubs ambition which  - with McGinn as an almost nailed on starter every week is not one that matches the noises which keep on coming from the board and the manager.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Wonder if this has more to do with where Gerrard believes the captain should play

My thoughts too. Perhaps it also hints that Luiz won’t be signing a new deal if SJM is a nailed on starter.

• Like 2

McGinn has many good qualities but I have never seen him as captain material. He rarely communicates with the other players and his style of play is very frantic and would be unable to read the game as a captain. And making Young as vice captain is a bit odd as he is halfway to retirement.

• Like 1

Decision made. I can understand why. Feels harsh on Ty but as I mentioned before I think he is behind Chambers & Carlos right now. Hoepfully he will take this and focus on his game.

Also we have no idea how this decision was made. It could be the player(s) who wanted a change of Captain.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

McGinn has many good qualities but I have never seen him as captain material. He rarely communicates with the other players and his style of play is very frantic and would be unable to read the game as a captain. And making Young as vice captain is a bit odd as he is halfway to retirement.

Martinez is vice captain

Young is club captain

13 minutes ago, Corleone said:

I think it does matter and its an indication of the clubs ambition which  - with McGinn as an almost nailed on starter every week is not one that matches the noises which keep on coming from the board and the manager.

Fair enough. Each to their own views.

I think as well, on TM, there was a spell where he said he was struggling mentally around expectation and pressure and it may be the case that slightly stepping back from leadership will be better for him in that regard.

I really don’t see who the captain is being any indication at all of “ambition”.

The manager has a squad of players and from that squad he picks a team and on the day one of them is Captain. Nominating someone at the start of the season doesn’t guarantee they’ll be picked, it’s just a bit of admin, really. It’s a little bit of extra work for the Captain, and in return there’s the honour of being named as Aston Villa captain.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Fair enough. Each to their own views.

I think as well, on TM, there was a spell where he said he was struggling mentally around expectation and pressure and it may be the case that slightly stepping back from leadership will be better for him in that regard.

I really don’t see who the captain is being any indication at all of “ambition”.

The manager has a squad of players and from that squad he picks a team and on the day one of them is Captain. Nominating someone at the start of the season doesn’t guarantee they’ll be picked, it’s just a bit of admin, really. It’s a little bit of extra work for the Captain, and in return there’s the honour of being named as Aston Villa captain.

Its more about the message that it send out that they are happy with the midfield that they have.

If villa are serious about pushing for the top 08 then the likes of Mings and McGinn should not be regular starters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Corleone said:

Its more about the message that it send out that they are happy with the midfield that they have.

If villa are serious about pushing for the top 08 then the likes of Mings and McGinn should not be regular starters.

Agree 100%

I've not seen much to suggest that McGinn is a leader on the pitch but perhaps he has qualities off the pitch that makes him a good choice.

I just feel what's on the pitch is what's most important and with McGinn he is a bit of a headless chicken IMO, not the most tactical or composed, not the fittest nor all that vocal. 

He's certainly good for putting himself about and a couple crunching tackles but beyond that?

As others have said, Gerrard sees him more than we do. Maybe it's a masterstroke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

I've not seen much to suggest that McGinn is a leader on the pitch but perhaps he has qualities off the pitch that makes him a good choice.

I just feel what's on the pitch is what's most important and with McGinn he is a bit of a headless chicken IMO, not the most tactical or composed, not the fittest nor all that vocal. 

He's certainly good for putting himself about and a couple crunching tackles but beyond that?

As others have said, Gerrard sees him more than we do. Maybe it's a masterstroke.

Dressing as a giant turkey and a dislike of all animals

It says to me that we're going to be seeing Chambers and Carlos as our main pairing next season. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sne said:

He seem like a great lad. Almost feel sorry for roasting him but I don't get the choice.

He wouldn’t chicken out of doing the role that’s for sure, definitely gobble up the opportunity

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â