162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

• 2 weeks later...

Is it fair to say that whoever is captain,  it doesn't make a great deal of difference when your team is playing well and winning. 

If you're drawing, or losing,  you want a captain that can change things. That can inspire a positive turnaround in form. Can McGinn do that? Mings had the ability to be a very commanding presence when we were down, although admittedly not always.

I don't see McGinn ever leading by example, or saying the right thing to motivate an under performing team mate. He can make them laugh I'm sure, but don't think that helps. 

He seemed to be a non entity against Bournemouth, i only saw about half the game, but all of that we were behind and he seemed anonymous.  Surely even ignoring his playing form, Gerrard will have questioned whether McGinn did the role of captain well. 

• 6 months later...

To be honest I couldn’t care less who wears the armband but we well and truly lack real leaders , I think the only real consistent leader we have is Ashley Young,  yes Mings is good at organising , Martinez is good when things are going well and Mcginn leads by example through his  endeavour. But none bar Young are consistent when things are going wrong they haven’t got that ability to drag teammates out of the mud . All successful teams have that core group of players that collectively drive the team forward when things are going wrong. I think it’s something that needs addressing in the summer.

5 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

To be honest I couldn’t care less who wears the armband but we well and truly lack real leaders , I think the only real consistent leader we have is Ashley Young,  yes Mings is good at organising , Martinez is good when things are going well and Mcginn leads by example through his  endeavour. But none bar Young are consistent when things are going wrong they haven’t got that ability to drag teammates out of the mud . All successful teams have that core group of players that collectively drive the team forward when things are going wrong. I think it’s something that needs addressing in the summer.

I think Carlos was brought in with that in mind but we didn’t get chance to see that side of him.

I actually think that Luiz is developing more of a personality on the pitch and could be a captain in a few years be it for us or another team.

I agree with your general point but I doubt most teams have more than 3 characters like that. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Ashley young case closed 🤐

i would be highly surprised if Young is even a starter for us next season, so on that basis im not sure thats such a good idea.

McGinn is also still a bad idea.

• Like 1

In this day and age i think the most important thing is to be respected by the team and a good communicator, particularly in a team made of multiple nationalities. You need to be able to talk to a referee and then act as a bridge between officials, management and players on the pitch. Its becoming more important particularly with some of the recent refereeing incidents.

Ideally the captain is a midfielder as they are covering most of the pitch. 

Â