162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

3 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Exactly, this was after it was announced as my mate didn’t believe it was 0 votes for him 😂

88EC3F10-07F7-4849-86F6-B913EBF74890.jpeg

Without wishing to hurt anyone’s feelings, this poll is pretty small and insignificant. The idea that 50+ people should decide who is Villa captain is laughable.

27 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Without wishing to hurt anyone’s feelings, this poll is pretty small and insignificant. The idea that 50+ people should decide who is Villa captain is laughable.

But in reality only 1 person decided who is Villa captain…is that even worse? 😂. Think we need a country referendum on this to get the right answer because the more people deciding the better and it worked for Brexit didn’t it 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

But in reality only 1 person decided who is Villa captain…is that even worse? 😂. Think we need a country referendum on this to get the right answer because the more people deciding the better and it worked for Brexit didn’t it 😂

You’re asserting that only one person decided. I would expect it to be a decision of the whole management team, involving the board as well, since the captaincy role includes representing the club in public.

But some posters on here seem to know an awful lot about the inner workings of the club, so let’s assume that’s right.

Just one person.

Who is that person? Oh, the manager who decides who plays, how they play and whether they are meeting the standards needed.

So that one person seems pretty significant, compared with 50 or so random people who voted on Villa Talk, some of whom may not even be Villa fans, we don’t really know, do we?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

It's a very small sample size, but the fact not one person responded thinking McGinn was the best option says something. The fact 12 people have voted for him since also says something else.

It's definitely not the popular pick, but most will be won over if it ends up getting the best version of McGinn on the pitch more regularly.

But yes, Gerrard should be making that call  and now that he has, any impact on our fortunes (good or bad) is on his shoulders. As it should be.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

What?

Do you think people who voted believe the club takes it into account?

Weird post.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Too late! Dont come back to this house unless you are carrying flowers and an engagement ring! :)

Or in a pinch I will accept a six pack of beer.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

If that's the case, then going by the poll at the top of this thread, the majority on people who voted are as dumb as f***

Let’s not fill this forum up just stating the obvious eh ;)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hippo said:

I thought Gerrard had alluded to this on at least a couple of occasions.

Him saying Beale was the brains behind the coaching etc.

Not a dig at Stevie G - I just thought he was ok pretty open about leaving the coaching (to an extent) to his head coach.

Many do Pete.......

There is simply too much involved these days, running a big club's team affairs.

They are the overseers, and just set the policy, for others (i.e coaches) to implement.

Some have most of their time taken by the Media.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Many do Pete.......

There is simply too much involved these days, running a big club's team affairs.

They are the overseers, and just set the policy, for others (i.e coaches) to implement.

Some have most of their time taken by the Media.

Yeah but I can’t think of any of the top ones who aren’t actually setting the tactics… I think Gerrard may be slightly misinterpreted here though. He talked a lot about needing Beale with him when he was a rookie manager with very little coaching experience… now he has 3 years of experience I would guess he’s more hands on, even with Critchley involved. 

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Yeah but I can’t think of any of the top ones who aren’t actually setting the tactics… I think Gerrard may be slightly misinterpreted here though. He talked a lot about needing Beale with him when he was a rookie manager with very little coaching experience… now he has 3 years of experience I would guess he’s more hands on, even with Critchley involved. 

He sets the policy....The coaches follow it.............He has already said that.

It’s funny how people look from afar and make decisions on who they believe is the best person to be captain. The reality is it’s the day to day interactions, their communication skills, leadership, life away from football etc that are all taken into account as to who is the best choice for captain of a club.

I wasn’t a fan of TM’s appointment as captain but also feel for him to lose it. I think he’ll be a better player without it and why McGinn will be a better player with it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It's a very small sample size, but the fact not one person responded thinking McGinn was the best option says something. The fact 12 people have voted for him since also says something else.

It's definitely not the popular pick, but most will be won over if it ends up getting the best version of McGinn on the pitch more regularly.

But yes, Gerrard should be making that call  and now that he has, any impact on our fortunes (good or bad) is on his shoulders. As it should be.

The club aren't choosing prom queen,  popularity and leadership ability are unrelated qualities

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

You’re asserting that only one person decided. I would expect it to be a decision of the whole management team, involving the board as well, since the captaincy role includes representing the club in public.

But some posters on here seem to know an awful lot about the inner workings of the club, so let’s assume that’s right.

Just one person.

Who is that person? Oh, the manager who decides who plays, how they play and whether they are meeting the standards needed.

So that one person seems pretty significant, compared with 50 or so random people who voted on Villa Talk, some of whom may not even be Villa fans, we don’t really know, do we?

Jeez it was a joke! I wasn’t serious

7 hours ago, briny_ear said:

some of whom may not even be Villa fans

Neither is Gerrard 😉

by the way I agree with your original post.

3 hours ago, Icarium said:

The club aren't choosing prom queen,  popularity and leadership ability are unrelated qualities

I'm not talking about popularity in that sense. I'm taking about it not being the popular choice amongst the fans on this site.  As per the conversation we were having. 

As pointed out in the other posts after mine,  none of us has any real clue about the interactions of the players at villa in the day to day. But based on what we see on the pitch,  most of us wouldn't have gone with McGinn. Masterstroke or madness from Gerrard,  guess we'll find out. Might not even matter. 

6 hours ago, QldVilla said:

I wasn’t a fan of TM’s appointment as captain but also feel for him to lose it. I think he’ll be a better player without it and why McGinn will be a better player with it.

I think this is it, Martinez was a lot of peoples choice for captain but he hasn’t been here as long as McGinn. In all honesty if Ty didn’t have it, McGinn is the next in line.

I think Gerrard’s decision was done to enhance performances. Ty - needs less distractions, McGinn has extra responsibility now and so hopefully his displays will improve. Emi - your vice captain now, excel and I’ll think about you for captain next year (when I think we will seriously consider offers for McGinn)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I'm not talking about popularity in that sense. I'm taking about it not being the popular choice amongst the fans on this site.  As per the conversation we were having. 

As pointed out in the other posts after mine,  none of us has any real clue about the interactions of the players at villa in the day to day. But based on what we see on the pitch,  most of us wouldn't have gone with McGinn. Masterstroke or madness from Gerrard,  guess we'll find out. Might not even matter. 

And as I said popularity ( from fans or otherwise) has no bearing on leadership ability.

I agree that none of us are part of the day to day of the club, so none of us are in a position to make an accurate call

19 minutes ago, Icarium said:

And as I said popularity ( from fans or otherwise) has no bearing on leadership ability.

I agree that none of us are part of the day to day of the club, so none of us are in a position to make an accurate call

But if you assume that the popular choices (Martinez or Mings) were picked on the basis of what people wanted in a captain, then its logical to assume they picked them on the basis of their leadership qualities, amongst many other criteria. Arguably, popular in the sense you're using it would be McGinn, as everyone lives him like the joker he is.

You're not using popular in the sense of the definition I'm using it.  Check that it can mean more than just "well liked"

Definition of popular

1: of or relating to the general public

2: suitable to the majority: such as

a: adapted to or indicative of the understanding and taste of the majority

b: suited to the means of the majority : INEXPENSIVE

3: frequently encountered or widely accepted

4: commonly liked or approved

a very popular girl

Would you be happier if I'd used the phrase that he "wasn't the (most common / preferred) choice". In fact, he was noones choice. So the point I was making stands. Gerrard has gone against the grain of everyone on here who offered their opinion before he made the choice. 

Doesn't mean he's wrong. And a lot have come round to the choice given some time to think about it.

Edited by MrBlack

Â