162 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Captain?

• Mings
    • Martinez
    • McGinn
    • Young
    • Carlos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/07/22 at 19:47

Just now, nick76 said:

He wouldn’t chicken out of doing the role that’s for sure, definitely gobble up the opportunity

He'd get the stuffing beaten out of him if he didn't.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It says to me that we're going to be seeing Chambers and Carlos as our main pairing next season. 

I agree. What concerns me though is all the talk about having a possession based team, retaining the ball. Neither of these are JM strengths. I'd go as far as saying he lacks composure and runs around like a headless chicken(Turkey in McGinns case) half the time. I think it's a poor decision because he's one of the weak links in the team currently.  

• Like 1

On the face of it do not love the idea of McGinn as captain, mainly from a playing point of view. If it raises his game then kudos to Gerrard but let’s wait and see.

The idea of replacing Mings and getting him to focus more on his own game seems a smart move to me. 

Just now, bose said:

On the face of it do not love the idea of McGinn as captain, mainly from a playing point of view. If it raises his game then kudos to Gerrard but let’s wait and see.

The idea of replacing Mings and getting him to focus more on his own game seems a smart move to me. 

I'd argue McGinn should be the one mainly focusing on improving. Improving his passing, tackling, shooting, composure, his awareness....We could go on. We may as well have kept Trez, Works hard, not much quality, Speaks poor English, runs around like a headless chicken and is a lovely bloke. Captain material right there!

If he's starting every game we aren't going to be improving our possession stats, this doesn't bode well. I like him but our midfield needs more control, maybe JJ ends up being benched more.

Outside of Mings I don't really see many leaders. 

Edited by AndyM3000
  • Like 1

Having reflected on it, it’s largely the same as Mings having the captaincy last year and McGinn being vice captain. 

If Mings was going to lose it, it makes sense for the vice captain to take over. 

Perhaps this year McGinn gets the nod, to see if it elevates his performances, if it does we sell him next summer and Emi takes over in 23/24.

if it doesn’t he’s replaced as captain, using the same words said to Mings now and Emi takes over. 

It does have me worried about our midfield though as I’d be rotating McGinn this season. Perhaps this will still happen regardless, who knows. 

Supporting Villa’s never dull is it?!?

Decision is all wrong.

No huge dislike of SJM who's been a fantastic servant for the club and can still contribute this season. However we're now at the stage where we really need an improvement on him as an 8.

Yet giving him captaincy means he's more certain than ever to be playing majority of minutes when fit.

Unless there's a plan to play Kamara-Luiz-McGinn but then we're going to have a ridiculous amount of players for front 3 positions and impossible to keep them all happy even with a league cup run.

Would rather have just given Martinez the armband if Gerrard decided Mings days here are numbered and so wants to freshen up leadership role.

We certainly won't be buying a CM of any significance now so this has put a bit of a downer on the season for me.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

nah, he's a good egg

43 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Give it a roost

49 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Better to do that than being on the end of his fowl temper

57 minutes ago, sne said:

He'd get the stuffing beaten out of him if he didn't.

58 minutes ago, nick76 said:

He wouldn’t chicken out of doing the role that’s for sure, definitely gobble up the opportunity

He might be good, dont count your chickens just yet....

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Decision is all wrong.

No huge dislike of SJM who's been a fantastic servant for the club and can still contribute this season. However we're now at the stage where we really need an improvement on him as an 8.

Yet giving him captaincy means he's more certain than ever to be playing majority of minutes when fit.

Unless there's a plan to play Kamara-Luiz-McGinn but then we're going to have a ridiculous amount of players for front 3 positions and impossible to keep them all happy even with a league cup run.

Would rather have just given Martinez the armband if Gerrard decided Mings days here are numbered and so wants to freshen up leadership role.

We certainly won't be buying a CM of any significance now so this has put a bit of a downer on the season for me.

That's how I see things as well. It is a risk by Gerrard because I'm not sure with the squad as it is we will be doing much better than last season, and it is exactly in SJM's position and upfront that better quality players need to be added. 

• Like 1

Â