Ratings & Reactions: Man City v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/05/22 at 23:00

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Interesting to see everyone talk about how we crumbled - I just didn't see it like that. Man City are champions because the players they have are world class and they can turn it up to a level beyond what we're capable of dealing with - there wasn't much more we could've done to stop Dr Bruyne today, he's just that good a player. 

I agree to some extent. But to concede 3 goals in 5 minutes is a disaster. Whilst they had the quality we also collapsed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

That really was so Aston Villa! What a shit season really one to forget, despite all the talk from the owners we aren’t even competing in this league finishing below Brentford is woeful!

The owners are rich but clueless!

• Haha 2

To be fair as I already said i don't blame Gerrard at all really but I disagree with the assertion that if he didn't make the Nakamba substitution and the same result happened he'd be berated for not doing it. It's a type of change that makes little sense to me, if you're already under a heap of pressure in a game then it's counter-productive to introduce a player that offers you more or less zero ability to be calm on the ball and offer even a hint of extra control on the game. It just invited City on even more than they already were.

• Like 1

He had his tactics spot on.

2-0 for Liverpool to win the league on the final day of the season.

Gerrard slipped up with his subs.

Our shape was good, we were hitting them on the counter and causing them problems. We probably should have been 3-0 up and City down to 10 men.

Why would you then take off both of your out balls and leave on a striker who was clearly struggling?

Take off Ramsey for Nakamba. Solidify the midfield if he's leggy. Coutinho had just scored to put us 2-0 and was clearly emotional about what it meant. It was the first time since February he shouldn't have been subbed.

Take Emi and Coutinho off and then be forced into throwing Ings on, changing the shape that had restricted City so much. Such a waste.

The lads played well. Two very good goals scored against us by the best team in the world. Should've defended the first better. But the changes let us down today. Such a shame considering his initial tactics were so spot on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It was a logical sub tbh. Think error was not putting Sanson on aswell at same time.

In early games Gerrard was clever making double subs around 70th minute mark to keep energy levels up, Leicester and Man. City at home were good examples yet he seems to have stopped that for some reason.

No matter what he did the players just s**t themselves as soon as their first went in so that's simply a mentality problem and not an easy one to solve unless you get an amazing shrink in.

I think you've said before, its quite a British manager trait to be conservative and think 'just hold on 5 more mins' or to hold a sub back 'just in case'

And by then its often too late

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It was a logical sub tbh. Think error was not putting Sanson on aswell at same time.

In early games Gerrard was clever making double subs around 70th minute mark to keep energy levels up, Leicester and Man. City at home were good examples yet he seems to have stopped that for some reason.

No matter what he did the players just s**t themselves as soon as their first went in so that's simply a mentality problem and not an easy one to solve unless you get an amazing shrink in.

In a normal game yes i would agree, but to remove a threat like him (He'd just scored and they were very wary of him) with such a short time to go effectively said "Ok, we are sticking .....come & have a go if you want". They did and we paid the price. 

We were doing great and for me there was no real need to change it and risk upsetting the apple cart in this particular game. 

Thank goodness the season is over mind and we live to go again.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'm not even going to engage in some of the extreme negativity today.

I agree that SG made a naive move, but I equally see lots of signs for optimism as well as a brilliant performance for large parts of a game, against the Premier League Champions who routinely brush teams aside for fun.

The thought that next season, it would be Kamara coming on, or already on the pitch, instead of Nakamba... is... well... a nice thought.

I'm excited for the summer!

Players bottled it for Smith when it mattered. Bottled it for Gerrard today. Until we bring in upgrades we will continue to do so. Both those 3-2 defeats exempifly a structural problem.

• Like 2

As soon as City got that first, you just knew. Cash needs to be taught about defensive positioning. He was certainly at fault for the first.

Hopefully kamara comes  in and one or two others and who knows what we may be able to achieve. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

The damage from this defeat will be permanent for the team. Line the Wolves loss. Gerrard knows a 5 0 loss would have been better. 

He and this team will never recover from this

The signing of Kamara will ease it I'm sure

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

The damage from this defeat will be permanent for the team. Line the Wolves loss. Gerrard knows a 5 0 loss would have been better. 

Lol what?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Regardless of any subs made we shouldn’t be conceding 3 in 5 minutes to anyone, spectacular collapse.

Doesn't seem to matter how much we change the players or manager we just can’t seem to shift this soft under-belly and feeling all our good work can be underdone in a moment. Be interested to see stats on points lost from 2+ up and goals conceded in quick succession compared to other teams.

What the answer is I have no idea, seems almost in our DNA at this point.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Playing on a Thursday didn't cost us this game.

Roy keane just summed it up...villa have a soft underbelly and have done for years....well before Gerrard came in.

City were alway going to win....we a charity team...yes we went two up...but deep down we all knew what would happen.

I think the subs show what the real problem is...the players are not good enough...again....same players....same results for three years.

Big Sumner ahead 

Wonder how we would’ve done with a player like Kamara in midfield.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I don’t mean literally sit behind him, I mean actually support him. Why stink the place out if you just want us to lose so he is sacked?

I don't want us to lose.

Equal I want us to be Aston Villa - not mini Liverpool with a load of scouser old boys.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

9019AAB9-F307-4541-A602-326F6983B15D.gif.26fa79ce95382c787109b0b00d43afde.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Back post, Back Post, Back Post.....once again, when will we ever learn.

However, spirited performance, under the circumstances.

I think the game will be useful, for us to see where we need to strengthen.

I also agree with Roy Keane, when he says " There is a softness about this Villa team".

We seem to last for 70 minutes, and then run out of steam.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

But we must be one of the teams with the most leads thrown away in the PL. It's like our shit-the-bed-ness has an existence of its own and takes possession no matter who plays for the club or manages us.

Not the same thing but I saw today that last week was the first time Everton have come from 2-0 down since the PL was created. Insane stat.

Â