Ratings & Reactions: Man City v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/05/22 at 23:00

8 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

That and the substitutions City could make were definitely a big factor in us losing the game.

We'll be stronger next season so we just have to take it on the chin (insert KW gif)

Yeah, just glad the season is over but to end it like that is one of another long list of disappointments to go with this season. I'm sure we'll strengthen in the summer and early signs are encouraging but you just get a sense that you're going round in circles with this club. We'll still continue to suffer following them though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

That and the substitutions City could make were definitely a big factor in us losing the game.

We'll be stronger next season so we just have to take it on the chin (insert KW gif)

Screenshot_20220520-042853_Twitter.jpg

• Haha 1

The reality of the situation is that City were able to bring on subs that were superior or at least on par with the players they replaced. Every one of our subs was inferiors, that is not on Gerrard. That is our squad. No matter if Traoré, Samson, Chuk or anyone else had come on, they would not have made a difference. I could see what Gerrard was trying to do with Nakamba but he’s a championship player. 

• Like 2

Positives - We looked good for 70 mins and dealt with their obvious pressure. We scored two really good goals. We didn't get our usual kicking (which other teams did receive from them). Grealish played no part in the game - I was particularly worried when 2 up he'd come on to haunt us. Looks like we're signing a top quality midfielder from under the noses of a lot of UCL teams.

Negatives - pretty much everything else.

• Like 1

The game obviously showcased why City are the best team and why we're ultimately very average. We've lost half of our league games for a reason.

We're not the first team that City have done that to and we won't be the last.

Only last week West Ham (a better team than us this season) were 2-0 up against City (at home) and City came back and got a point off them and would have won if they didn't miss a penalty.

Yes - it is frustrating and a missed opportunity but City simply do that hence why they've only lost 1 out of the last 28 in the league.

Glad the season is over for us though! Time to rebuild...

• Like 3

How good was coutinhos goal though!

Bottom line is changes needed to be made cos our players were chasing shadows on a big pitch against one of the best teams in premier League history and having played three days ago. Some of those boys legs had gone by that stage

Unfortunately, as we all know, nakamba is our only real DM option and he is terrible.

Would have been easier against 10 men if Fernandinho had been correctly sent off but that was never gonna happen.

Also I hate Liverpool and their fans with a passion so take some small comfort in that.

Onwards and upwards. We will be a better team and finish higher next season

We got beat by a better team at the end of the day. Hate losing but once the first when it you knew we would lose, this for me is the problem. We simply don’t know how to manage games. 3 occasions this season we have led by 2 goals and only ended up with 1 point. This is criminal at any level of football. Extra eight point we finish 8th. There will be players who started today who are hopefully squad players next season. 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Like we are **** joke of a football club. 

I think the manner of our defeat was so gauling......once the first went in, the script was written.

Man City are a great team.....but the things we ****ed up on are basic flaws......it wasn't world class moves that undone us, but basic poor positioning and a failure to closed down opponents.

We all know we need strengthening and where......This capitulation won't go away, until we do.

The sad thing is, all the hard work up until 75 minutes is just washed away, due to basic stuff.

• Like 1

Only positive I can think of is it just highlights to Gerrard even more, we defo need big changes in the summer. If we won that game, Gerrard may have had second thoughts on who needs to go and who needs to come in.

• Like 1

Until we become a possession based side these results are inevitable. We ran out of steam after about 70 minutes because we were chasing the ball all game. Had we been able to have a breather by keeping the ball then we might have been able to hold on.

Also I think Watkins didn't make the right decisions on front of goal today. 

• Like 2

I think folks (Including me) are just annoyed that we have been sent off into the Summer now with a kind of final embarrassment which we now have to sit on for months. It was the pathetic collapse which hurt. City did exactly what we should have been doing when they got the 3rd goal and that was shamelessly waste time. I though we could have done a lot more in the dark arts area to get over the line in that game. We may still have conceded but 3 in 5 minutes was pathetic and an embarrassment in front of a global audience. It needs to stop! There should never have been 3 goals in that game for City.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WHY said:

We got beat by a better team at the end of the day. Hate losing but once the first when it you knew we would lose, this for me is the problem. We simply don’t know how to manage games. 3 occasions this season we have led by 2 goals and only ended up with 1 point. This is criminal at any level of football. Extra eight point we finish 8th. There will be players who started today who are hopefully squad players next season. 

Our vulnerability at back posts is kindergarten stuff......Pep picked up on it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the manner of our defeat was so gauling......once the first went in, the script was written.

Man City are a great team.....but the things we ****ed up on are basic flaws......it wasn't world class moves that undone us, but basic poor positioning and a failure to closed down opponents.

We all know we need strengthening and where......This capitulation won't go away, until we do.

The sad thing is, all the hard work up until 75 minutes is just washed away, due to basic stuff.

They ran out of gas and that is why the basics weren't being executed after about 70 minutes. The players couldn't get in the right positions quick enough to limit city's options and were too tired to play the ball as they had been doing before. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

They ran out of gas and that is why the basics weren't being executed after about 70 minutes. The players couldn't get in the right positions quick enough to limit city's options and were too tired to play the ball as they had been doing before. 

I agree.

playing for long periods without the ball is hard....physically and mentally.

You guys are wild. 17 pages in a meaningless end of season league game. Not sure if it's already been mentioned but I think that is our first fullback to fullback goal under Steven. Have a feeling we will be seeing a bit more of that next season. 

Wrong sub but the bench left a little to be desired. Let's hope this summer window leave the manager with some improved options. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Until we become a possession based side these results are inevitable. We ran out of steam after about 70 minutes because we were chasing the ball all game. Had we been able to have a breather by keeping the ball then we might have been able to hold on.

Also I think Watkins didn't make the right decisions on front of goal today. 

I like Ollie.....but his awareness of an opponent and how to capitalise seemed a bit suspect today.....He could have done Stones up like a kipper as he steamed in to challenge him.....instead an innocuous shoulder charge was enough.

He seems a bit too nice, when he misses, too.

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

He lost that game for us. I’m very 50/50 on him. 

The players he brought on lost that game for us. If they are not good enough what can we do? We needed to make a change.

Although I will say, we was winning the game with the attacking intent, but we wasn't going to keep that intensity up, not a chance. One thing you don't do, is try and park the bus against Man City.

Â