Ratings & Reactions: Man City v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/05/22 at 23:00

6 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Spent a fortune to finish 3 places lower. I hope our owners are happy with the clown managers they have financed!

So you’re including Smith as a clown for finishing below… Smith?

3 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Playing on a Thursday didn't cost us this game.

Roy keane just summed it up...villa have a soft underbelly and have done for years....well before Gerrard came in.

City were alway going to win....we a charity team...yes we went two up...but deep down we all knew what would happen.

I think the subs show what the real problem is...the players are not good enough...again....same players....same results for three years.

Big Sumner ahead 

While I do agree with much of what he says Roy Keane is a clown. A miserable Jamie Redknapp with a better playing career. But as you can see from his managerial career he doesn’t have much to back it up. Same goes for Neville and Carragher. 

Just now, hippo said:

Exactly - I've said over and over we look great when we have everyone running around at 100mph.

Unfortunately you have to be more efficient with your energy this is where team shape and tactics come into play.

It's all very Tim Sherwood.

No it’s not, it’s players lack of players that can retain the ball under pressure. We haven’t got enough of them. But yeh, blame the manager. 

Just now, His Name Is Death said:

But we must be one of the teams with the most leads thrown away in the PL. It's like our shit-the-bed-ness has an existence of its own and takes possession of everyone who plays for the club or manages us.

Yeah as I said pro footballers have said to me that at Villa Park it’s the fans - they know if they score past us the atmosphere goes through the floor, we jump all over the players and they collapse. That’s how it continues even when every player changes and the manager changes.

As I say I don’t think it’s that relevant to an away game though.

27 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Awful from Oliver. Could have had 3 pens and a fernandinho sending off

Quick whistle at the end, too. He never accounted for Foden and Ederson time wasting. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

I thought the Nakamba sub is what changed the game today, likely brought about by tired legs after Thursday (Well done Premier League on creating that situation).  We were woeful after he came on. For me with 15 mins left you may as well keep the threat of Coutihno on the pitch. Bad mistake to change it in my opinion from Gerrard.

It was a logical sub tbh. Think error was not putting Sanson on aswell at same time.

In early games Gerrard was clever making double subs around 70th minute mark to keep energy levels up, Leicester and Man. City at home were good examples yet he seems to have stopped that for some reason.

No matter what he did the players just s**t themselves as soon as their first went in so that's simply a mentality problem and not an easy one to solve unless you get an amazing shrink in.

• Like 1

It's unfair to blame the individual fitness of a player as well. This is a problem that is brought on from the amount of games an Premier League team has to play, the time in which it has to be played, and the lack of a squad to rotate in.

The plan and tactics work. Now it's up to Gerrard and the recruitment team to find a squad that he can use to rotate in and out. Not useless defenders like Marvelous and the kids on the bench.

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Decent game, gave the nation some fun on a Sunday afternoon in a game that doesn't really matter to us.

I thought for the most part we played well, their first goal changed the mood to a massive extent and it's hard to do anything about that; when a really good team suddenly has momentum, motivation and belief it's a tough game - but I thought we showed enough to be positive about next season and there's stuff to build on.

I don't think we're as far off as it might appear from a distance.

Bring on the summer.

Agreed. We just need a natural and instinctive goalscorer...which Watkins isn't! If he'd taken a couple of his chances, we'd have been 4-0 up. 

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

"At least we didn't get hammered" pretty much sums where we're at.

This mindset/culture has to end and, frankly, I believe it will under a manager who doesn't think like that. The players will get the message, but we need to also.

It's not that for me - this game didn't matter to us - it feels like it did because it mattered an enormous amount to other people - but it didn't.

I care less about this defeat than I do about only drawing with Burnley or only drawing with Palace - those are the games we should be furious about; that's where the loser mentality is - in not beating the teams that we should - not in losing in the last twenty minutes to one of the best sides in the world with the motivation of the biggest prize in the country behind them.

What we did today was get to the end of the season - we've already started the work of the summer by the sound of things and I think there's every sign we're coming back stronger.

• Like 3

That really was so Aston Villa! What a shit season really one to forget, despite all the talk from the owners we aren’t even competing in this league finishing below Brentford is woeful!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Playing on a Thursday didn't cost us this game.

Roy keane just summed it up...villa have a soft underbelly and have done for years....well before Gerrard came in.

City were alway going to win....we a charity team...yes we went two up...but deep down we all knew what would happen.

I think the subs show what the real problem is...the players are not good enough...again....same players....same results for three years.

Big Sumner ahead 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Roy Keane (not that I have much time for him) said we have a soft side and wasn't 100 % surprised. 

Villa doing a Villa, I guess.

7 minutes ago, switters said:

We gotta be the worst team in the world for conceding multiple goals in quick succession. As soon as City got 1, you knew it would be a matter of minutes for the 2nd. And it's been like this for years, so can't exactly put it on Gerrard subs, although Nakamba was a disaster today. Taking off Coutinho for a DM at 2-0 up away from home, is not an absurd thing to do. Coutinho does tire and you know Man City would come on strong. Just the DM that came on did not really offer the D you would expect. 

I can't agree there. You can't afford to remove players that can keep the ball (if only for a few seconds at a time) and give the CBs something to worry about. City thrive on squeezing up and overloading, bringing on Marv just allowed them to fully set up camp in our half. Pulling Emi then wrecked our press and removed our ability to even try to get the ball out. Young would've been a good sub in the last minute had we been leading, but absolutely pointless otherwise. Would rather run a kid out if the manager thinks it's over.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's not that for me - this game didn't matter to us - it feels like it did because it mattered an enormous amount to other people - but it didn't.

I care less about this defeat than I do about only drawing with Burnley or only drawing with Palace - those are the games we should be furious about; that's where the loser mentality is - in not beating the teams that we should - not in losing in the last twenty minutes to one of the best sides in the world with the motivation of the biggest prize in the country behind them.

What we did today was get to the end of the season - we've already started the work of the summer by the sound of things and I think there's every sign we're coming back stronger.

Don't think like a big club, don't play like a big club.

Â