Ratings & Reactions: Man City v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/05/22 at 23:00

Yeah I can't fault Gerrard at all for that.  I thought that was the best we have set up tactically for a match since he has been here.  We would always have to have sacrificed Coutinho or Buendia, probably both in that kind of situation to try and shore up to hang on to the win.  Credit to City and Gundogan for not giving up, and **** Liverpool.

9 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Watkins ? Oh my days, how can you have 3 1 on 1s and manage to only have 1 shot which is off target ? 3 misses or 3 saves fair enough but not even getting a shot away in 2 of them ? 

It was typical of Watkins all year...overthinking, one touch too many...

olsen was growing into the game, then he sort of fell apart, far too slow for their equaliser then stopped trying to claim the ball altogether.

While I was generally pleased with Olsen's performance (for a backup), you do have to wonder if Emi would have stopped that 2nd goal and we'd be talking about a different story right now. (Not because it was an easy save that Olsen should have had, but it was the kind of save that someone world class like Emi just might have gotten a hand to.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OhioVilla said:

City can field 2 teams that could beat Villa's starting XI.

Not sure what changes/subs he could make. He has no rotation because, as we all saw with Marv, the depth in the squad is terrible.

Sanson possibly but that's another story. You could maybe retreat into a low block with the players on the pitch that had been performing well until then and hope that the adrenaline pulls them through some sort of heroic rearguard action, but then you get pelters for not making changes if it all goes wrong. Impossible really.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

How can players and staff change but the mentality manage to remain the same?

As I’ve said on here before, professional footballers I have spoken to put it down to our fans… but can’t see how that is a factor away today. I think we were just up against the best team in the world, and we are not close to that level.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

One of the local Villa lads reckon if, it had been Martinez instead of Olsen today, he would waste enough time and wind them up enough for us to hold on. lol

Yep, think Martinez would have saved the second as well

• Like 1

"At least we didn't get hammered" pretty much sums up where we're at.

This mindset/culture has to end and, frankly, I believe it will under a manager who doesn't think like that. The players will get the message, but we need to also.

Edited by Beastmix
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

If fitness levels don't dramatically improve next season then it will be difficult to make any progress. I hope they can.

It's hard playing Man. City with their intensity tbh but ultimately by their standards they were terrible for 70 minutes today. Full of nerves with overhit crosses and passes.

To just crumble as soon as they got back to 1-2 was laughable but yes sums us up down the years given we just to throw away games v the other Manchester club in similar fashion every season.

Actually think in these situations Sanson would be decent sub as he has energy and can rat around a bit in midfield but he obviously has no future here.

We are miles off being a top team as they simply don't implode like we do so have to be realistic for next season. Top 10 and a decent cup run would be fine in my book.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This wasn't a confusing shocking collapse like the Wolves game, as soon as they scored it was very likely they'd win the game - that's the way football is - it would have been the same if it had been just about anyone - I'd have fancied City to beat just about any team in the world from 1-2 down in this game - I really don't think you can understate the importance of that first goal for them.

Exactly this. The bookies had them as favourites to win as soon as that goal went in. They’d have turned over any team at that point.

Still miserable though.

7 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The only benefit (and it’s a minor, minor one) is that despite the comeback there was literally no back and forth between who was top of the table that would have added extra drama to the occasion. No swapping of places.

City have literally been top all day, Liverpool second all day.

True, maybe that makes it just slightly less cinematic. 

Maybe we're lucky we conceded the 3rd as fast as we did!

I thought the Nakamba sub is what changed the game today, likely brought about by tired legs after Thursday (Well done Premier League on creating that situation).  We were woeful after he came on. For me with 15 mins left you may as well keep the threat of Coutihno on the pitch. Bad mistake to change it in my opinion from Gerrard.

1 minute ago, Dale said:

I'm really not sure that's the case. Man City do not need to be as fit as their opponents. Retaining the ball reduces the amount of physical exertion you need to undertake. 

Exactly - I've said over and over we look great when we have everyone running around at 100mph.

Unfortunately you have to be more efficient with your energy this is where team shape and tactics come into play.

It's all very Tim Sherwood.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Welcome to my 'The Championship was more fun' group. 

Because we were the Man City of that league outspending everyone and being creative with FFP.

Hated every second apart from the final months and when we won the play off final. Big fish small pond crap fest.

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

As I’ve said on here before, professional footballers I have spoken to put it down to our fans… but can’t see how that is a factor away today. I think we were just up against the best team in the world, and we are not close to that level.

But we must be one of the teams with the most leads thrown away in the PL. It's like our shit-the-bed-ness has an existence of its own and takes possession no matter who plays for the club or manages us.

Edited by His Name Is Death

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

The exact substitution we've derided for years. From Southgate to Bruce to Mcleish to Lambert and it sums up his management. Negative. Defensive. 

Gerrard displays all the characteristics of these managers his philosophy his shape his principles...but because its Gerrard and he was world class its just ignored.

TBF at 2 up I'd have taken Watkins off aswell and put on Sanson. Just string 10 outfield right across the pitch and make sure Man. City had no space to create their overloads out wide.

Subs after we went 3-2 down were just futile given our heads had totally gone.

Depends what the response is after this and what we want in near future.

Put out similar line ups next season and I'm afraid the same thing will continue happening and we'll keep giving leads away against decent teams.

Â