• Ings
    • Coutinho
    • Sanson (sub)
    • Young (sub)
    • Iroegbanum (sub)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/22 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Two Villa players were booked for this incident.

Thoughts and prayers are with Cucurella who bravely played on despite the pain/shame.

F***ing pathetic. As bad as Trez’ at Brentford, that. 

One worrying thing, for those of us who like to worry, is that our attack didn’t seem to weaken all that much without Buendia and Bailey, i e 2/3 of our summer signings. We would probably have done ok without Ings as well today.

Great free kick from Coutinho though, what a goal that had been.

3 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

great to see us get the 3 points! its quite rare that we manage to do the double over teams also, so another positive! Really hope we can follow this up next saturday, that consistency is so often a thorn in our side. Maybe we can aim to beat both saints and leeds in the coming 2 weeks which prevents them doing the double over us and should see us go up the table a bit

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day... in our first season back in the PL we only doubled Norwich. Then last season only two teams: Arsenal (yes!) and Fulham. And this season Everton and now Brighton.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robby b said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day... in our first season back in the PL we only doubled Norwich. Then last season only two teams: Arsenal (yes!) and Fulham. And this season Everton and now Brighton.

Should’ve doubled Man U too, the three games against them are among our best this season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Far better defensive display from the midfield, no 1% balls by mcginn helped us keep possession, Ramsey a few determined runs but pass the bloody ball out wide to the overlap !! 

Luiz positional was fine but his passing today was majority quite poor.

Little tariq lamptey is rated one of the fastest fullbacks around so digne always had his work cut out and got done several times. That's where Ramsey needed to be more switched on.

Mings and konsa both looked like they were playing last season, calmer on the ball, less jumping in and less poor passes so job well done

Cash. Great goal. Went to his head a bit when he should have squared to ings later in the game and he hit it wide when ings was in the middle of the goal having lost his marker. But mom for cash today.

Big phil did a few jinx and clever passes a couple wayward shots and kept 2 players occupied all game. Important job, maybe no headlines but its a team game.

Ings and watkins ?

Really again not effective. Watkins scored a good route 1 goal, keeper roles it to mings who belts it 2/3 the pitch to watkins who finishes well but there really wasn't too much more from either of them in terms of attacking play ( I was out for 5 mins or so of 2nd half so may have missed something?

Brighton are known for their good movement and passing and for being blunt up top. That was the case again today. Lamptey got forward alot and cause a few problems but I only recall 3 chances from them, 1st half clipped yhe top of bar by mccallister 2nd half rat boy shot saved by emi and missed header by wellbeing.

So a mix of hard work by us and poor final 3rd play by them got the result.

More relief than celebrations from me, after such a shitshow over the last month, we needed an un spectacular solid professional performance, we delivered today 2 goals scored and non conceded has been a long time coming. Guessing it was against Brighton the last 2 nil ? 

Looked like a team at least, got a very long way to go though that much is clear. Great finishes for both the goals. Really happy for Watkins, he needed a goal so badly. Great return from Konsa for me, wasn't spectacular but did his job very well. He makes a big difference when he's on song. 

Special shout out to the ref, I thought the standard in the Championship was appalling, but since we've come back up I've realised that it's not only in the Championship these days. There are plenty of Premier League referees who really should just **** off and try doing something else for a living. I swear they were never this bad apart from the standout words removed of the genre, seems to be every week these days that there are just inexplicably terrible decisions.

Chased a lot of shadows, worked hard and earned three points. Luckily we have players who can finish like Cash and Watkins, one day we'll hopefully be going away and bossing possession and imposing our style on teams. For right now though I'm just happy we've got 3 points, didn't look totally clueless and can take some momentum into some tricky fixtures. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

One worrying thing, for those of us who like to worry, is that our attack didn’t seem to weaken all that much without Buendia and Bailey, i e 2/3 of our summer signings. We would probably have done ok without Ings as well today.

Great free kick from Coutinho though, what a goal that had been.

Up and over the wall not far from the bottom corner, mega!

• Like 2

We played well today, battled and kept it solid , I'm relieved tbh. The ref was horrendous, played to the crowd who raised the atmosphere for 50/50 challenges and basically the ref fell for it . The Douglas booking was bizarre as he didn't do anything of my real consequence but still got booked. 

I hope we never see this ref again. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

All is forgiven then.

Well until Southampton turn us over 2-1 next week....

Anyway back to 10th or higher please.....

They are in a rich vein of form, we can't doss about their either.

Hopefully this win has given them and Ollie some confidence as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Looked like a team at least, got a very long way to go though that much is clear. Great finishes for both the goals. Really happy for Watkins, he needed a goal so badly. Great return from Konsa for me, wasn't spectacular but did his job very well. He makes a big difference when he's on song. 

Special shout out to the ref, I thought the standard in the Championship was appalling, but since we've come back up I've realised that it's not only in the Championship these days. There are plenty of Premier League referees who really should just **** off and try doing something else for a living. I swear they were never this bad apart from the standout words removed of the genre, seems to be every week these days that there are just inexplicably terrible decisions.

Chased a lot of shadows, worked hard and earned three points. Luckily we have players who can finish like Cash and Watkins, one day we'll hopefully be going away and bossing possession and imposing our style on teams. For right now though I'm just happy we've got 3 points, didn't look totally clueless and can take some momentum into some tricky fixtures. 

Spot on.

English refereeing needs reform badly.   I watch German, Spanish and Italian football. They all have competent referees who make rare mistakes. When they do VAR helps the ref address them. In England competent refs are rare and VAR adds to the errors they make not help. It really is ridiculous. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It might not be a coincidence we look better away from home…

Really we beat Brighton at home as well by the same scoreline.? 

The back to basics approach and the fact that Brighton are terrible in front of goal helped. An away win is an away win though - and Kudos for that. Whatever the shortcomings of our squad we should be getting results against Brighton.

Great result - no thanks to the ref who allowed Brighton to persistently foul all game, let Veltman get away with a couple of assaults and booked several of our players for breathing heavily.

It's horrible to think that Mike Dean gave the best refereeing display that I can remember at a Villa game this season and we all know awful he can be.

56 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

On today’s performance you wouldn’t be dropping 50mil on Bissouma. Was largely bypassed

I love when our midfield gets bypassed, like Leeds game, and loads on here say "SIGN BISSOUMA!!!!!"

Not a great performance, but an improved performance, and a very important win.

Excellent performances from Cash and Mings. Watkins never stopped running, and got what hopefully for him will be a very important goal and the forerunner of more to come.

Ings, I think, is just not the striker he was, and really does not contribute much. I was hoping he would be off for Buendia, our best player, but lo, on comes Young, who adds nothing.

Sanson looks decent, and probably deserves to replace Luiz next game to see what he can do. Good to see Iroegbonum get on.

We certainly looked more compact. Let's hope we can continue to improve.

Isn't it nice to win.

• Like 2

Â