• Ings
    • Coutinho
    • Sanson (sub)
    • Young (sub)
    • Iroegbanum (sub)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/22 at 23:59

Important win.  

A good away performance when you are out of form.

Great goals from Cashy and Ollie

General play was meh! But we scored and didn’t concede, after recent times I’m delighted with that.  Brighton were poor so I note that in my mind.

So overall, we’ve remembered how to score again and not concede.  The players were pretty average overall. I did like Morgan and Tim’s brief appearances.

Most happy with the win today, the rest I’ll forget quickly to be honest as it was pretty meh!

Oh and the ref was incredibly poor.

Onwards and upwards…

• Like 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

I thought it no coincidence we looked better balanced and better prepared defensively today with the formation tweak. Hopefully Gerrard starts to see he needs to switch it up against teams who predominantly use width to attack. Very good performance at a tricky time. 

Aside from Luiz who started well but faded, we saw far fewer reckless passes and turnovers that put so much pressure on us. A more compact side after a nervous 15 minutes meant that SJM spent more in the channels defensively whilst also getting forward.

It was going to be a difficult game with so many yellow cards and Brighton theatrics but the players adapted well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Not like there's a war going on to get people's emotions worked up and want to show some support is there...

It’s a pre planned celebration that he knows he’s going to get a yellow card for. Could have had a shirt with a message on the bench to hold up or something which wouldn’t lead to a booking.

Given that he’s a player always liable to pick up a yellow card I thought it wasn’t that well thought through. I guess no harm done as he didn’t get a second yellow and played very well.

Obviously goes without saying that I fully support the message but maybe it could have been done in a way that wasn’t a certain yellow card.

• Like 2

Gotta say after seeing that today from bissouma, i dont see how they justify he is worth 50m. Support the club that they didnt pay that ridiculous fee.

I would still definitely take him but he is worth around half that. Dont think the big boys will be that interested in him after witnessing that from him today. Was average to poor.

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

great to see us get the 3 points! its quite rare that we manage to do the double over teams also, so another positive! Really hope we can follow this up next saturday, that consistency is so often a thorn in our side. Maybe we can aim to beat both saints and leeds in the coming 2 weeks which prevents them doing the double over us and should see us go up the table a bit.

well it will at least prevent saints doing the double over us, the leeds result felt like a loss though tbh

Edited by Villatillidie95
incorrect info
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

It’s a pre planned celebration that he knows he’s going to get a yellow card for. Could have had a shirt with a message on the bench to hold up or something which wouldn’t lead to a booking.

Given that he’s a player always liable to pick up a yellow card I thought it wasn’t that well thought through. I guess no harm done as he didn’t get a second yellow and played very well.

Obviously goes without saying that I fully support the message but maybe it could have been done in a way that wasn’t a certain yellow card.

He doesn’t score generally so I guess he was going to show at some other point but got carried away when he did surprisingly score.  Emotion took over, which I can kind of understand in this situation.

I thought we were good. Didn’t play them off the pitch but took our chances and limited them to almost nothing of note. 

On today’s performance you wouldn’t be dropping 50mil on Bissouma. Was largely bypassed. 

• Like 2

Much, much better today. It wasn’t all that pretty, but was a measured and professional performance. Delighted for Watkins and he was clearly delighted too. 

Hopefully we find a bit of form now. Southampton and Leeds next where we should be looking for a minimum of 4 points. 

• Like 1

The Good

We Won! Yes! Get in!

Mings played well.

McGinn played well.

Luiz played well.

Cash defended well and scored a good goal MotM.

Watkins scored.

Clean sheet.

Think the time out helped Konsa, that was better from him.

Sanson with a tidy cameo.

The In Between

We played more defensive, which was the smart move. We were more compact, defended deeper and looked to hit them on the break. The problem i have is should be imposing ourselves of these kind of opponents. This kind of style suits Mcginns game, but when we are back at home and look to play on the front foot what happens then?

Digne didn't standout in anyway.

The Bad

Ings was poor, but did put in alot of effort.

Ramsey was poor.

Coutinho never rarely got the ball in positions where he could hurt Brighton.

The ref was terrible.

We were outplayed for the majority of the game. Fortunately they lack quality in the final third.

• Like 1

Curcurella did pretty much the exact same sort of stuff last time we played them. 

Happy with the win. I think two of the main differences were that we dealt with the opposition press much better and, apart from Welbeck's free header our defenders dealt with the aerial threat with aplomb. 

Â