• Ings
    • Coutinho
    • Sanson (sub)
    • Young (sub)
    • Iroegbanum (sub)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/22 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We played 180 mins against xGraham Potter's side, and I'm certain if we played another 180 they wouldn't score.

I know - and some think that is the blueprint we should follow. !!!!

I think the ref could have done a bit of a better job of keeping a lid on that one. I’m shocked there wasn’t a second yellow in the game. It felt like it was going that way.

We didn’t look like world beaters, but we created and scored. Nice to see Ollie doing what he does best - why are we not threading those kind of balls for him all the time.

Defense was solid. Midfield bossed by my MOTM McGinn. Coutinho great.

Ings just isn’t a fit for how we seem to want to play, unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dale said:

The set-up was infinitely better, full backs as full backs, midfielders as midfielders. I'm glad he isn't as stubborn as I thought, let's not revert! 

Yes we had a much better balance today.  Back to basics and a couple of lovely goals.

Just the result we needed, if not the desired comprehensive team performance. But definitely something to build on. 

Gerrard clearly likes Luiz, but Luiz is a momentum sapper and it's frustrating to watch. Stupid giveaways and backwards passes. 

Was Buendia not on the bench?

Phew … hopefully that settle last a few relegation nerves 

Well done to all the players on yellows for not giving this ludicrous ref a chance to give you a second one 

game itself was nothing to shout about but we dug in and did the job , Konsa and Mings were both back to their best , Mings probably my MOTM but McGinn looked like he’d had 3 shredded wheat today and was a bit more involved than recent performances 

Brighton should spend more time on football and less time on acting lessons and they could be a decent team 

• Like 1

postee in team tactics thread, but wanted to post here also, as i think its relavent.

So, we beat Brighton.

I didnt mention it before the game, but....i honestly wondered if we would win, or at least get a draw today (versus Brighton away).

The reason in my head, which is an opinion i am developing about the team, is we get better results when we have 35-45% possession, we are forced to naturally sit deeper, defend as a unit, and hit teams more on the break, or in a more.....less intricate way etc, so we have less time to think and mess around on the ball.

Im not surprised we won against Brighton, as thats exactly what happened pretty much, as inwe had less possession (34%).

I think our recent problems might actually be, that Gerrard is trying to play a possession style, and against Newcastle, Watford, and pretty much any other team we have more possession against, quite a few of the players are just like fishes out of water, they are slow on the ball, take too long, cant find the passes, and lack ideas in the final third when we are in dominance possession wise, this style also means we are constantly further up the pitch, meaning we are open to being sucker punched as many of our players just arent good enough for a possession based team, meaning we are then losing it and getting hit in the channels on the break more often that an possession team should etc.

In a nutshell, if Gerrard wants to play possession football, we need 3-5 new players who are capable of actually doing it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bet a few are gutted. 

A win against a average Brighton performance, all good, but tactically I thought we still look a bit of mess. Happy for Watkins to get a goal hope it spurs him on a bit, Sanson should be playing over Luiz. Ref was poor, think he might have a had a B**** at half time, seemed scared to give a red second half.

I'm still recovering after the Watford game, so not getting carried away.

I agree it wasn’t spectacular, but I did nevertheless feel we were comfortably better than them and fully deserved the win and the clean sheet. I’ll take that any day of the week. 

• Like 2

Just now, foreveryoung said:

A win against a average Brighton performance, all good, but tactically I thought we still look a bit of mess. Happy for Watkins to get a goal hope it spurs him on a bit, Sanson should be playing over Luiz. Ref was poor, think he might have a had a B**** at half time, seemed scared to give a red second half.

I'm still recovering after the Watford game, so not getting carried away.

fair play mate. I gave you some grief in the match thread so apologies for that, ;) we all follow Villa differently.

• Thanks 1

Gave MOM to Cash for settling the nerves with a bit of quality

So nice to go from a  nervy first half where wound up home fans are screaming blue murder for every tackle, and then by the final ten literally half of them have gone home because the game is so clearly over. You'd think you'd changed the channel by accident

Hope little Emi was just being rested or has a minor thing that he wasn't risked for, good to get through the 90 without him with a competent, solid performance if so

So, we beat Brighton.

I didnt mention it before the game, but....i honestly wondered if we would win, or at least get a draw today (versus Brighton away).

The reason in my head, which is an opinion i am developing about the team, is we get better results when we have 35-45% possession, we are forced to naturally sit deeper, defend as a unit, and hit teams more on the break, or in a more.....less intricate way etc, so we have less time to think and mess around on the ball.

Im not surprised we won against Brighton, as thats exactly what happened pretty much, as in less possession (34%).

I think our recent problems might actually be, that Gerrard is trying to play a possession style, and against Newcastle, Watford, and pretty much any other team we have more possession against, quite a few of the players are just like fishes out of water, they are slow on the ball, take too long, cant find the passes, and lack ideas in the final third when we are in dominance possession wise, this style also means we are constantly further up the pitch, meaning we are open to being sucker punched as many of our players just arent good enough for a possession based team, meaning we are then losing it and getting hit in the channels on the break more often that an possession team should etc.

In a nutshell, if Gerrard wants to play possession football, we need 3-5 new players who are capable of actually doing it.

• Like 1

Very pleased to get the win. I am not worried about the performances at the moment, we need to build some confidence again after a terrible run of results. The wins will help that, then we can start to look for better performances. A happy Saturday, get in. 😃

Â