• Ings
    • Coutinho
    • Sanson (sub)
    • Young (sub)
    • Iroegbanum (sub)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/22 at 23:59

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I was too pissed to really watch the game ‘tactically’. Was it noticeable that the fullbacks didn’t push on so high? 

I still can’t work out what the formation was. Was it a diamond? 

That was my intepretation. Gerrard said he played with two number 9s and one number 10 

20 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We played 180 mins against xGraham Potter's side, and I'm certain if we played another 180 they wouldn't score.

They can hit the bar though.

20 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Cash the star again for me. ref worse we have ever seen and should be investgated. 3 points is all that matters at the moment 

The decision at Everton......... makes our ref look like Collina.

Now that was poor, 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Honestly think we got them on xG as well. Steven has Potter's side figured out the same way Dean used to do Bruce. It's nice when you have 6 points you can count on every season. 

Possession stats not so great.

20 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Strange start to the game where both sides looked devoid of confidence. It then got a little feisty, we scored and the ref lost control.

Second half we were ok and scored again. In truth, Brighton didn’t really lay a glove on us and I can’t remember Martinez having a lot to do. 

Positives: Two goals scored and a clean sheet. Hopefully no injuries and no one sent off. McGinn MOTM. 

but I think that was as much credit to us as it was discredit to them.....We were hunting in pairs as oppsed to individuals.

We played much better without the ball.

Remember that Brighton journo who scoffed at the idea of Villa attracting Bissouma? “Aston Villa, yeah, THAT Aston Villa,” was his favourite insult. Yeah, THAT Aston Villa who’ve just taken six points off your mighty Brighton, fella. (Call me petty, but I wanted to win this one even more just because of that prat).

22 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Solid win that’s all we needed nice to see Tim gets some mins , why was Chuckwemeka not on the bench?

Thought Tim showed some valuable defensive composure....looks a decent prospect.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It might not be a coincidence we look better away from home…

At Home...The onus is on us to take the game to the opposition, away we just counter.......I think that suits the players we have.

People saying Brighton didn't threaten at all, but I thought they got far too many really good balls into our box, second half especially. Mings and Konsa dealt with them well in the main but there were will always be chances if you let so many balls come in. Most notably the free header that Wellbeck missed. We need to be a bit better at cutting out that sort of supply.

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

One thing I do think, or wonder is, is there space in our side for both Coutinho and Buendia? Both very good players in their own right, but perhaps they’re too ‘Samey’? Are we a little lightweight with both of them in there? 

I think there's room for both...Buendia mostly on the left, Coutinho mostly on the right.

15 hours ago, Indigo said:

For those wondering about how the formation shaped up, these are the average positions for what it's worth:

Screenshot_20220227-165139_SofaScore.jpg

Going by this McGinn average position is deeper than Luiz? And Cash didn’t get forward as much as Digne on the other side. 
There’s no doubt SG asked the two full backs to be more conservative and looked for both Luiz and McGinn to be more disciplined in front of the central defenders. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 27/02/2022 at 08:10, Delphinho123 said:

My player ratings. For what it’s worth.

Martinez - 7
Digne - 7
Mings - 8
Konsa - 7
Cash - 7
McGinn - 9
Luiz - 5
Ramsey - 6
Ings - 5
Coutinho - 6
Watkins - 5

I thought all 3 subs played well. Sanson was busy and all action and Iroegbunam completed a few passes and got his toe in a couple of times. Young worked hard.

A fairly average performance in truth but it was nice to compete for 90 mins for once. We weren’t brilliant for any particular spell but more importantly, we weren’t poor either which is what’s been happening in the last few weeks.

A new striker and at least one central midfielder in the Summer is vital for progression. 

Yep i agree with the signings. We can raise a lot of money if needed. Sell Luiz targett trez Keinan ings and spend it all on a DM and striker

On 28/02/2022 at 08:50, Herman22 said:

Going by this McGinn average position is deeper than Luiz? And Cash didn’t get forward as much as Digne on the other side. 
There’s no doubt SG asked the two full backs to be more conservative and looked for both Luiz and McGinn to be more disciplined in front of the central defenders. 

but where's the protection for the 2 centre backs?.....in light of the low possession rate for us.

5 of the team all on top of each other....

I'm not sure what to expect, but it doesn't look disciplined to me.

Â