• Ings
    • Coutinho
    • Sanson (sub)
    • Young (sub)
    • Iroegbanum (sub)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/22 at 23:59

7 hours ago, Philosopher said:

The Good

We Won! Yes! Get in!

Mings played well.

McGinn played well.

Luiz played well.

Cash defended well and scored a good goal MotM.

Watkins scored.

Clean sheet.

Think the time out helped Konsa, that was better from him.

Sanson with a tidy cameo.

The In Between

We played more defensive, which was the smart move. We were more compact, defended deeper and looked to hit them on the break. The problem i have is should be imposing ourselves of these kind of opponents. This kind of style suits Mcginns game, but when we are back at home and look to play on the front foot what happens then?

Digne didn't standout in anyway.

The Bad

Ings was poor, but did put in alot of effort.

Ramsey was poor.

Coutinho never rarely got the ball in positions where he could hurt Brighton.

The ref was terrible.

We were outplayed for the majority of the game. Fortunately they lack quality in the final third.

Agree with all except the bold.

We weren’t outplayed at any point.  They were welcome to have the ball as much as they wanted, because they never looked really looked like scoring.

We weren’t great, but they were appalling. 

My player ratings. For what it’s worth.

Martinez - 7
Digne - 7
Mings - 8
Konsa - 7
Cash - 7
McGinn - 9
Luiz - 5
Ramsey - 6
Ings - 5
Coutinho - 6
Watkins - 5

I thought all 3 subs played well. Sanson was busy and all action and Iroegbunam completed a few passes and got his toe in a couple of times. Young worked hard.

A fairly average performance in truth but it was nice to compete for 90 mins for once. We weren’t brilliant for any particular spell but more importantly, we weren’t poor either which is what’s been happening in the last few weeks.

A new striker and at least one central midfielder in the Summer is vital for progression. 

6 hours ago, hippo said:

That has absolutely no relevance to what I posted. Which was that we won   today with a back to basics approach.

Because we were away from home against a team that has a lot of possession. If we set up like that against Watford at home it would have most likely been a very boring 0-0 and Gerrard would have got hammered for that as well.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

I was too pissed to really watch the game ‘tactically’. Was it noticeable that the fullbacks didn’t push on so high? 

I still can’t work out what the formation was. Was it a diamond? 

I think it was still 4-3-3 but the front 3 switched a lot. 

Full backs wernt as high forward but that’s because we let Brighton have most the ball. 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I was too pissed to really watch the game ‘tactically’. Was it noticeable that the fullbacks didn’t push on so high? 

They weren't up by Watkins when Martinez had the ball, so yes.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

4312 or a diamond if you prefer. Just switched out Buendia for a striker.

Main difference was we sat back a bit more and that suited playing Brighton because they're very patient knocking the ball about.

Southampton are more forward thinking, and just a better side overall really, so will challenge that more.

I don't think there's that much to improve on when we're sat deep defending. We're tough to score against if we're defending deep. We're incredibly easy to score against when we're trying to be "proactive" and have our fullbacks up front.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Because we were away from home against a team that has a lot of possession. If we set up like that against Watford at home it would have most likely been a very boring 0-0 and Gerrard would have got hammered for that as well.

Yes.

That's his problem to figure out isn't it. Find a formation or way of playing when he thinks we can win the game by taking the game to the opposition.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes.

That's his problem to figure out isn't it. Find a formation or way of playing when he thinks we can win the game by taking the game to the opposition.

Yep pretty much, and it will take time for a team that has had most it’s recent success in this league by player as a counter attacking team. Was the same with Smith. 

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They weren't up by Watkins when Martinez had the ball, so yes.

4312 or a diamond if you prefer. Just switched out Buendia for a striker.

Main difference was we sat back a bit more and that suited playing Brighton because they're very patient knocking the ball about.

Southampton are more forward thinking, and just a better side overall really, so will challenge that more.

I don't think there's that much to improve on when we're sat deep defending. We're tough to score against if we're defending deep. We're incredibly easy to score against when we're trying to be "proactive" and have our fullbacks up front.

Thanks. 

Surprised to see Buendia rotated out. Maybe he’ll come back in against Saints.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m seeing a lot of this but I thought he was really poor against Watford. 

Really? I thought he was ok. Nothing special but not poor. 

One thing I do think, or wonder is, is there space in our side for both Coutinho and Buendia? Both very good players in their own right, but perhaps they’re too ‘Samey’? Are we a little lightweight with both of them in there? 

Just a thought. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Really? I thought he was ok. Nothing special but not poor. 

One thing I do think, or wonder is, is there space in our side for both Coutinho and Buendia? Both very good players in their own right, but perhaps they’re too ‘Samey’? Are we a little lightweight with both of them in there? 

Just a thought. 

We are if Luiz keeps giving the ball away like he did yesterday.  I’m losing patience with him now. A bit more steal in the middle and then our South Americans can do their thing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Defended as a 4-3-3. Set up in the middle 3rd and high pressed when given the opportunity. 

Attacking was a narrow 4-3-1-2. Most of the width came from the fullbacks. They pushed up behind the ball for the most part not in front of it. One benefit of this setup was that this opened up the wings for Ollie and Ings to exploit. They tried without much success. 

The midfield 4 was kind of a diamond while attacking, especially during buildup play, but Douglas also made a couple advanced runs. It was pretty fluid, and since the roles were fairly simple no one got caught out. 

• Like 1

i seem to remember saying when one or 2 were bigging up potter that we'd 100% finish above brighton but they didn't take my offer for a wager. they were very ordinary yesterday coached by a very ordinary manager. so glad purslow et al ignored the few calling for him to replace deano. definitely finishing above them

make no mistake, yesterday was not a complete performance, and we'll need to be better to beat southampton, but weve still lost to worse teams than brighton this year and nice to stop the rot

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

full backs did still get forward. but yes the midfield did seem like  diamond with PC behind the 2 9's

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Luiz in the background - thinks - I didn't get a hug.

Except that he did. You could see on SG when he took him off that he thought he'd had a good game, and apart from two poor passes in the 2nd half, which is the only thing people seem to remember, he didn't give the ball away once. A long ball that didn't really reach Watkins, but it was close to setting him free, wasn't really giving the ball away. He wasn't great yesterday, but he was good. I sometimes wonder if people understand his role in the team. He had bad games against newcastle and watford, very few didn't, but yesterday he was good. Always showing up wanting the ball, making it easier for our defenders to get the ball to the midfield in control. Which is part of our tactics. He stopped ownhill.several of their attack, especially remembering Lamptey looking like he'd ran into a wall at the half line in the first half. DL was also behind our best chance in the 1st half with his cross to Watkins who headed it down to McGinn. And worthy a notice is that after he was subbed we barely had the ball.

Anyway, not a great game as such, but a good and controlled game. We kept them away from good chances. 11 shots, 1 on target, one a poor header from Wellbeck in a good position, the other 9 not even close. We won it fair without convincing. A well needed win. 

About the ref. He was really poor and was well on his way to lose the game several times. But he's new and can still learn. I thought he started well, but from that situation where he gave DL a yellow it really went downhill. 

3 points. UTV!

Â