Match Thread: Villa v Watford

limpid

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Ings been great.

Great! really? He's played a few good passes, and one or two good link ups, but no goals or assist and missed a one on one that was offside anyway! He's been okay. Not good, certainly not great!

• Confused 1

@M_Afro I missed the lock in the pre match thread.

Gerrard was quoted saying the midfield is doing well just last week. 

"Tim is extremely close," he said. "He's training really well and did well in the two friendlies we played behind closed doors.

"I know he's ready but, the midfield area at the moment for us, I'm really pleased with it. It's looking good, looking strong. Tim has to keep pushing and fighting."

So that's why I think he is pleased with it. Because he said so.

The overall play is better, if not particularly convincing, but we have to do more than that against Watford at home. Decision making and quality in the final third is lacking. Which makes me think it might be a confidence issue. 

• Like 3

Just now, pregra said:

Awful half. Baffling how someone can watch this and conclude that we are playing well. Its Watford, at home.

It wasn't awful. They're parking the bus and they're tough to play against. Other than the one time we left ourselves to a counter-attack down our right, do you feel like they've ever been a threat to score? No...even when they have the ball, you get the feeling they're just buying their defence some rest time. If we get a goal and they open up, we'll get more. Of course, if they nip one, we're still going to be facing park-the-bus and it will be a tough fight for a draw. Just that sort of match.

This is gonna be one of those 'we could have played all night and not scored' games.

It is remarkable that we have always been shit at breaking down defensive sides, and yet if we try to park the bus you know we'll chuck one in eventually to help the opponents.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

All just very boring really.

We've gone back to the poor habit of knocking the ball around at pedestrian pace. Get the feeling the Gerrard system already been sussed out at this level.

The last ten minutes especially felt like we were simply out of ideas. Players shooting from 30 yards is usually a sign of frustration.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

There as good as parking the bus chap, have patience 

They are bottom of the league and have scored 2 goals since Christmas. They can park the bus all they want, it's poor from us so far to have zero shots on target and created next to no chance apart from Ings which was offside anyway.

Our standards really have fallen if this is deemed decent.