Match Thread: Villa v Watford

limpid

Just now, TomC said:

It wasn't awful. They're parking the bus and they're tough to play against. Other than the one time we left ourselves to a counter-attack down our right, do you feel like they've ever been a threat to score? No...even when they have the ball, you get the feeling they're just buying their defence some rest time. If we get a goal and they open up, we'll get more. Of course, if they nip one, we're still going to be facing park-the-bus and it will be a tough fight for a draw. Just that sort of match.

Watford only get that chance on the counter because McGinn isn't covering Cash. That's a big issue to resolve.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Zen said:

The overall play is better, if not particularly convincing, but we have to do more than that against Watford at home. Decision making and quality in the final third is lacking. Which makes me think it might be a confidence issue. 

yeah there's some hesitation that I hope we can iron out.

• Like 1

Think we're playing well!

It's obvious we're wary of the counter threat and pace, but we're dominating the ball.

They are sitting really deep to, so it's difficult to break down.

Raise the tempo a bit in midfield, take a couple of risks and we'll score eventually.

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

The last ten minutes especially felt like we were simply out of ideas. Players shooting from 30 yards is usually a sign of frustration.

Would honestly get Sanson and Bailey on and switch to 4-3-1-2 or something as I doubt Watford would've trained to counter that. We're really predictable so hopefully Gerrard dosen't take an age to get some subs on which has also creeped into his approach last few weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Ten efforts on goal. A stonewall penalty not given. Great link-up play, some stupid distance shooting mixed with some poor and decent crosses. There's plenty to feel positive about.

That wasn't stonewall. Seen them given but would've been soft. Ten efforts 4 of which are those long rangers. One an offside miss. Can't remember one good chance there really!

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Very good player that simply does not gel within out setup and with his teammates. Flog him and buy better.

I’ve said it many times. If he was playing in the McGinn/ JJ role I think he’s a decent player. He just can’t play DM. 

• Like 1

We're dominating the ball but doing literally nothing with it, which is pretty much Watford's game plan, I'd wager. 

As we saw last week, Howe knew exactly what we'd do, and we played into their hands. I imagine Hodgson is pretty happy at half time.

We haven't run out of ideas. We've been able to break them down, it's just hard when they are setup for a draw, parking the bus, wasting time with spurious fouls to break up the play. They are an ugly team.

Given how embarassing the Newcastle performance was that half has given us enough food for thought.

Just now, lapal_fan said:

Think we're playing well!

It's obvious we're wary of the counter threat and pace, but we're dominating the ball.

They are sitting really deep to, so it's difficult to break down.

Raise the tempo a bit in midfield, take a couple of risks and we'll score eventually.

They are bottom of the league.

Playing well was what we were doing in Gerrard's first 4-5 games.

This has been average at best.

Really really disappointing if we waste yet another chance to put some pressure on teams above us given Brighton are 2 down.

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

yeah there's some hesitation that I hope we can iron out.

That’s just it. Hesitation. Taking that extra touch, stepping on the ball, slowing down. They’ve got the talent, just lack the conviction.