Match Thread: Villa v Watford

limpid

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

That is a big thing, we haven't seen enough of JJ.

McGinn is far too pedestrian and ponderous. He slows us down way too much, tries his FIFA passes with mixed results.

I agree that McGinn is a bit too ponderous at times, but he's had some excellent passes today so think he's done ok. would like to see him act a bit faster though for sure.

JJ needs to get involved more too. He's looking quite sharp and aggressive which I think we should utilize.

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Gerrard: "I want a peformance next game. No excuses"

Players play decently - some fans: "Rubbish, making bottom of the league look good".

Can't win sometimes.

Wouldn't say 0 shots on target against bottom of the league is good.  Resorting to pot shots and having no clue how to break them down is also not decent. We need better in the second half or this will be 0-0 or 0-1 to a dodgy counter attack from them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

The 'its difficult because they are parking the bus' line is true, but not good enough. Most other teams find a way past that approach, which is why Watford are where they are. If we can't match the achievement of most other teams, logic says we will end up closer to Watford than most other teams.

All other prem fixtures bar one are nil nil at the moment so not strictly true. 

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

I think the idea that we might snatch the win, at home, to the worst side in the league should dampen some of the enthusiasm about how much of an improvement this is meant to be over the previous shambles.

On what evidence from that half are we looking to "snatch a win"? We've had a lot of fluid play. Just need to find that end product.

I wonder if we were to push Chambers into midfield for Luiz and replace him with Hause. Then bring on Bailey for Cash and let him play high up on the right. Chambers can move out to RB when needed. Might give us more of a final ball. 

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I'm gonna have to watch MOTD later cos I can't make head nor tail based on this thread.

In a nutshell we’ve been ok. Watford look a danger on the break but we’ve had most of the ball. It’s been….. fine! 

McGinn individually is doing ok, but our seeming reliance on him being the fulcrum through which everything goes is killing us; he is constantly having to cut back onto his left foot, which just allows Watford to get back in shape and make it easy to defend

Edited by andym