Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/22 at 23:59

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

Close down our left side so Digne is no threat and all our attacks will have to go through Cash. Howe did it today so be sure that Roy will do the same.

Didn’t Howe mention something about that and how we have a way of playing and  he needs to nullify that.  Trying to remember where I saw it.  I know it sounds simple but the way it was portrayed leaned towards we have one method and it’s easier to stop than it should be and we have no plan B.  I hope it’s not true.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Didn’t Howe mention something about that and how we have a way of playing and  he needs to nullify that.  Trying to remember where I saw it.  I know it sounds simple but the way it was portrayed leaned towards we have one method and it’s easier to stop than it should be and we have no plan B.  I hope it’s not true.

We're currently watching it play out in front of our eyes. It looks absolutely true, unless we consider hoof-ball to be our plan B.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

We're currently watching it play out in front of our eyes. It looks absolutely true, unless we consider hoof-ball to be our plan B.

sadly we don't have a plan B, not many teams in the bottom half do that it why they/we are there. Even Leeds managed to largely play through us with ease.

Edited by VillanousOne

7 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He's meant to be a yard away from our defensive wall and was not.

It’s such a cop out from the ref. He’s come over and told them to stay the required 1m from the wall. But they just ignore him and he does nothing about it. Kinda sums up his performance today. Weak! 

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Means nothing. They’ve had some good results recently and spent 100 million in January. I don’t care about them in the slightest. 

They have beaten the 15th, 16th and 20th place before us. Today was a disgraceful result

That was an abject performance, and the team and management should be ashamed of themselves.

We have shown in patches that we are better than that, so it is inexcusable to perform like that.

When he came here, I certainly did not think a Gerrard team would show such a lack of effort and commitment.

I hope it is just early days for Gerrard, and we can expect to see improvement from him and the team.

I think the players we have are good enough for mid table, so I am not even expecting much.

Mings MOM due to lack of anyone else playing half way decent.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think Dean Smith was on the money with his comment about some of the players look great at Bodymoor Heath, but not so great come matchday. 

I actually thought that was a bit of a amateur quote. Anyone can look good on the training ground playing against your mates with no pressure, trying all the flicks an volleys.  When your up against a team that will do anything for a win, it''s a different story.

Problem number 1 is, we don't do anything for a win. Hearing Newcastle were thugs, Brentford are rough an pull fouls, why don't we play that way?  We can see we are a very light weight team, rarely see a hard tackle or much aggression. We need to start playing teams at there own game instead on bemoaning they are a bit rough and keep fouling us, we sound like a bunch of pussys.

• Like 3

Huge test for SG and co now. The compactness that we had in the first few games has gone with huge spaces opening up once more. Hence we are so easy to play through and so few passing options available that result in us losing possession. 

I do wonder if Gerrard, Beale et al will look to adapt the system as currently it’s not working. If we are to continue with both fullbacks bring predominantly wingers then we have to become more compact. 

Not sure if you can play PC and EB in the same team with full backs bombing on. 

System worked in SPL but concerns that too easy to play against in the PL. Beale is a very highly regarded coach so l trust them to make the correct adjustments. Although we were poor today...I do think it is the team structure that is causing us most issues. 

Edited by eholm

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They have beaten the 15th, 16th and 20th place before us. Today was a disgraceful result

Before they changed manager and spent 100 million? They’ve not lost a game since city on 19th December. Today was disgraceful no doubt about it. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Do other teams put in as many toothless away performances as us? Ones where they can't string three passes together? I'm sick to death of seeing performances like this.

Away performances ?

Last home win was early December.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Before they changed manager and spent 100 million? They’ve not lost a game since city on 19th December. Today was disgraceful no doubt about it. 

New signings in today's lineup were Burn, Trippier and Wood. That's it ain't it? We should be competing against them. Yet what we served up today was absolute dross.

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

They lost with a full team to Cambridge.......at home

They are definitely beatable and we havent beaten Brentford, Leeds and Newcastle in the last 5 games. Its dreadful form

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

There’s not. I think people are within their right to be upset by a defeat. We’ve won one game in four. Our form isn’t good and we aren’t even top of the bottom half of the table. 

Yes but  you have to look at the bigger picture.   Rome wasn't built in a day! 

Just now, Tom13 said:

New signings in today's lineup were Burn, Trippier and Wood. That's it ain't it? We should be competing against them. Yet what we served up today was absolute dross.

We should be beating them not competing, they played Chris Wood, Shelvey, Manquillo, Krafth, Dummett and Joelinton

Hardly Man City or Liverpool

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Martinez had that winning mentality under smith, looks a different player last two games. Mcginn, mings, watkins all looking worse since gerrards bootcamp. Everytime SG talks up JJ, je has a stibker the next game. 

The players you mentioned have all had worse seasons than the previous season, but our points gained per game are higher during SG’s time. If you’re blaming SG for praising a player who’s appearances have been excellent since he arrived then you have to blame the entire football world in England because everyone has been singing his praises. The simple fact is JJ is still young and he will have a certain amount of inconsistency, like all young players do. I’m not sure he’s had any real stinkers though. 

We have individuals with stronger characters than others, but as a team we are lacking in that respect. It needs to be addressed but like many things at the club, the problems run deep and have been in evidence for many years. SG has been here for about 5 months, it takes time. 

Â