Ratings & Reactions: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/02/22 at 23:59

39 minutes ago, useless said:

We're ten points off the bottom three with a game in hand, we're closer to Europe than we are to the relegation zone. Since Gerrard came in we've taken one less point than West Ham having played two games less, and they're in fourth place.

We are 10 points off Europe as well

Such an unusual game today - every single player looked hungover. Maybe they were worked too hard in the break, then the Leeds game, then away today a few days later. Buck stops with SG but I don't expect we will see another performance like that this season. 

We're ten points off Europe and ten points off the bottom three, we also have game in hand over the bottom three, so we're closer to Europe than to the bottom three, we're also closer to Europe in terms of goal difference, and on form since Gerrard became manager. My point isn't that we're going to qualify for Europe, it's that we're no more going to get relegated than we're going to finish top seven, both extremely unlikely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Such an unusual game today - every single player looked hungover. Maybe they were worked too hard in the break, then the Leeds game, then away today a few days later. Buck stops with SG but I don't expect we will see another performance like that this season. 

I hope your right but I have my doubts. The more training sessions we are having the more confused the players look. Leeds was bad but today was as bad if not worse. 

Just now, Jareth said:

Buck stops with SG but I don't expect we will see another performance like that this season. 

I hope not but we've seen a few now.

Playing your full backs as wingers and your centre mids as full backs and having one fella to cover the middle of the pitch probably won't ever work consistently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

You can't avoid the impression that there is something about the culture of the club, where everytime the team gets above halfway, everybody decides they've done enough.

Being brilliant for 45 minutes won't win us anything, except a reputation for being moody.

The look on Gerrard's face at the end of the game, suggested he had reached the same conclusion.

I don't think there can be a culture at the club when we appear to have largely a brand new team every year.

Don't allow these players/manager excuses.

It is down to them, not to some mythical culture.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

We're ten points off Europe and ten points off the bottom three, we also have game in hand over the bottom three, so we're closer to Europe than to the bottom three, we're also closer to Europe in terms of goal difference, and on form since Gerrard became manager. My point isn't that we're going to qualify for Europe, it's that we're no more going to get relegated than we're going to finish top seven, both extremely unlikely.

We’re averaging a point a game in recent form.  At this rate we’ll finish on 42.  Take into account we’ve played a bunch of the easier sides now, dropping point against Watford will be a disaster.

Did anyone else think during the match it was futile to keep crossing the ball into the box from corners and free-kicks considering they have a defender who is 8ft 2in?

We wasted so much time doing this, surely we had better options to play it short, square and try one-two's around the box.

4 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

What’s the obsession with Newcastle 

Because Newcastle have just had a joke of 2/3rds of a season, and we’ve been heartily laughing at them.  Yet they are now within touching distance of us.

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I don't expect we will see another performance like that this season. 

I think that's the boldest statement I've read here for a while, and might need some revising after Watford. It currently looks crazily simple to nullify our threat by the slightest press, and easy to overload our defence by going down the wings.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Mathematically you are correct but there is a lot more chance we could be relegated than getting into Europe on the pitch in the way we are playing.  

We see very often mid table teams dragged into relegation fights.  Our form of 5 points in the last 18 is relegation form and today was one of our worst performances of the season and this after letting the lead slip against Leeds and playing poorly.  

We are obviously not going to get relegated, the bottom three are so poor it’s just not going to happen but the way we are playing is more like a team looking at teams below us catching us up than us looking at catching teams above us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I think that's the boldest statement I've read here for a while, and might need some revising after Watford. It currently looks crazily simple to nullify our threat by the slightest press, and easy to overload our defence by going down the wings.

Close down our left side so Digne is no threat and all our attacks will have to go through Cash. Howe did it today so be sure that Roy will do the same.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Didn't we say the same vs Brentford? 

• Like 1

Just now, NoelVilla said:

Close down our left side so Digne is no threat and all our attacks will have to go through Cash. Howe did it today so be sure that Roy will do the same.

Exactly.  
And we have no idea what to do if the left side is shut down.

Â