Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

11 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Centre backs are generally quite difficult to gauge in terms of stats because there's so many factors involved that can influence their defensive output etc (as in VVD is obviously better than say Grant Hanley, but looking purely at stats Hanley has more tackles, blocks etc because Norwich has far more defending to do than Liverpool), but regardless I saw this posted and thought it made for interesting reading, especially as Villa and Wolfsburg aren't hugely dissimilar in terms of league placement and things like amount of passes, average possession and so forth.

spacer.png

Looks decent, sign him up! 

12 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Centre backs are generally quite difficult to gauge in terms of stats because there's so many factors involved that can influence their defensive output etc (as in VVD is obviously better than say Grant Hanley, but looking purely at stats Hanley has more tackles, blocks etc because Norwich has far more defending to do than Liverpool), but regardless I saw this posted and thought it made for interesting reading, especially as Villa and Wolfsburg aren't hugely dissimilar in terms of league placement and things like amount of passes, average possession and so forth.

spacer.png

Did you make that or was it just online? Would be interested to see a comparison against Mings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Indigo said:

spacer.png

He looks like a good upgrade on Konsa apart from the goals

13 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's not a case of Gerrard signing players only - seems reductive to put it that way given the team involved for that very purpose. 

I agree but I do think the calibre of player Gerrard will demand may be higher than we have signed in the past.  The recruitment team will be very busy I’m sure.

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Just can't see it happening, as great as it would be

They are just way " too big " of a club and have too many willing suitors.

I'll say it now as the time has long elapsed, but even during our little scare with Tony Xia, I never actually thought we would dissolve, for the same reason if i'm honest.

13 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree but I do think the calibre of player Gerrard will demand may be higher than we have signed in the past.  The recruitment team will be very busy I’m sure.

Think will be bigger names and not exactly better quality like Suarez

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

There will be limits to what he can demand though, both in terms of available funds and those players willingness to sign.

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think will be bigger names and not exactly better quality like Suarez

I really really hope not. The bloke is an utter word removed who after the Evra incident should have struggled to find a club. As it is, football doesn't ostracise these characters, so we can take the knee every week but there's no consequence. 

8 minutes ago, Dale said:

I really really hope not. The bloke is an utter word removed who after the Evra incident should have struggled to find a club. As it is, football doesn't ostracise these characters, so we can take the knee every week but there's no consequence. 

Football and morals do not go hand in hand. It left them behind a long time ago. Newcastle are owned by people who throw gay people off buildings, execute people in public and chop journalists up and put their body parts in suitcases. Nothing in football surprises me and whilst I agree with your sentiment, if we start acting morally, we'll get left behind and quickly. Football is all about success at all costs. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Thats what im scared of.

The club is going to spend a fortune for players that might fit into gerrards playing style.

The problem as i see it is that the system been played does not suit the league and is way too narrow.

There are too many players being pigeon holed into positions that are not natural for them and i for one cannot see why the coaching staff cant see this.

Like i said last summer window..we need to get the recruitment right..it didnt exactly go to plan last time.

There isn't a problem with this per se, if that's how we were doing things from the start. But it seems to be a complete 180 from the stated intentions from the board that our team is built independent of any one manager and there should always be continuity. I hope that's still the case this summer, but last summer was a bit scattershot (hopefully this was just panic after the Grealish sale) and January was a departure in terms of the player profile (although they were good players!). Guess all eyes are on this summer. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit apprehensive.

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Football and morals do not go hand in hand. It left them behind a long time ago. Newcastle are owned by people who throw gay people off buildings, execute people in public and chop journalists up and put their body parts in suitcases. Nothing in football surprises me and whilst I agree with your sentiment, if we start acting morally, we'll get left behind and quickly. Football is all about success at all costs. 

I would rather get left behind if thats the case if honest. Football is just a game at the end of the day

Teams like Union Berlin, Forest Green and Athletic Bilbao seem to be doing just fine

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Being seen as decent could theoretically be good for business if more people and companies want to be associated with the club. Going the other way could be risky, esp in issues regarding racism and similar.

I don’t believe missing out on Suarez would hurt Villa at all (it would probably be a win-win even from a strict football point of view).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I would rather get left behind if thats the case if honest. Football is just a game at the end of the day

Teams like Union Berlin, Forest Green and Athletic Bilbao seem to be doing just fine

Agree with this.

Some of the disgusting vitriol aimed towards the poor lad who's come out at Blackpool is utterly damming of the whole football culture at present. 

Let's at least give it a shot at being a club with fans known to have a moral compass. 

• Like 2

My issue with Suarez is mobility. He's 35 now and just like other top strikers his age or older he has changed the way he plays to be able to keep playing at the top level. He can still score goals.

Messi, Ronaldo, Zlatan have all done it to, they don't really move much without the ball and they offer nothing in defense. That's sorta fine-ish if you change the way the team plays and accounts for it by having other players covering for them. 

Those guys all play for top teams who have a lot of the ball. (Apart from Ronaldo who plays for mid-table Manure...)

We however don't have much of the ball and we need everyone to put a shift in off the ball, and with Coutinho we already have a player who is not elite at it. 

I'm not 100% against Suarez under the right circumstances (like selling Ings or Watkins and getting a #1 striker in along with Suarez) but I don't see how it would work or any real benefit with it.

• Thanks 1

Everything else aside, I just don't know how much sense it would make to pay Suarez the wages he'd command to have him play 15-30 minutes per match, and maybe get a hat trick against Wycombe in an early round cup draw.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Worried for the summer and next season.

Don't trust anyone we have purchasing players. Who is next. Daniel Sturridge?

We won't get anyone as good as Bruno Guimaraes who was there for us for the last 18 months.

Same. Most worried I've been in years. Hope the signs are wrong but I feel the existing transfer policy although not great had served us well. 

I hope we aren't abandoning that when we've done well out of McGinn, Konsa, Cash, Mings, Watkins etc.. Buendia could be another.

Too many of Ings, Coutinho, Digne although quality players is a recipe for disaster. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Same. Most worried I've been in years. Hope the signs are wrong but I feel the existing transfer policy although not great had served us well. 

I was more worried when we missed a VAT payment in 2018 and were on the verge of going under. 

Today, we are in the golden times. 

• Like 3