Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

With Gerrard's tactics we need more of a Cafu and less of a Gary Neville. Ability aside Cash is a full back rather than the attacking wing-back type we require to play our current system. If we can sell him and buy a Dinge style upgrade that fits our play style better we should do it. 

41 minutes ago, VBM said:

With Gerrard's tactics we need more of a Cafu and less of a Gary Neville. Ability aside Cash is a full back rather than the attacking wing-back type we require to play our current system. If we can sell him and buy a Dinge style upgrade that fits our play style better we should do it. 

Or turn Leon into it .... lol

I know we are talking about spending big, which ofc would be nice, but there are some good players out of contract this summer (i havent listed the players who seem unrealistic for us):

Goalkeeper: Onana (Ajax), Robinson (W.Brom)

Central Defender: Christensen (Chelsea), Ginter (Bor. M'bgladbach), Tarkowski (Burnley), Romagnoli (Milan), Felipe (Lazio), Saiss (Wolves), Stark (Hertha), Goldson (Rangers)

Right Back: Mazraoui (Ajax)

Defensive Midfielder: Brozovic (Inter), Kamara (Marseille), Grillitsch (Hoff)

Central/Attacking Midfielder: Tolisso (Bayern), Isco (R.Madrid), Roberto (Barca)

Winger: Januzaj (R.Sociedad), Bernardeschi (Juve), Di Maria (PSG)

Striker: Belotti (Torino), Suarez (Atleti), Origi (Liverpool), Nketiah (Arsenal)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I know we are talking about spending big, which ofc would be nice, but there are some good players out of contract this summer (i havent listed the players who seem unrealistic for us):

Goalkeeper: Onana (Ajax),

He signed for Inter.

Edited by MentalM
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Goalkeeper: Onana (Ajax), Robinson (W.Brom)

Central Defender: Christensen (Chelsea), Ginter (Bor. M'bgladbach), Tarkowski (Burnley), Romagnoli (Milan), Felipe (Lazio), Saiss (Wolves), Stark (Hertha), Goldson (Rangers)

Right Back: Mazraoui (Ajax)

Defensive Midfielder: Brozovic (Inter), Kamara (Marseille), Grillitsch (Hoff)

Central/Attacking Midfielder: Tolisso (Bayern), Isco (R.Madrid), Roberto (Barca)

Winger: Januzaj (R.Sociedad), Bernardeschi (Juve), Di Maria (PSG)

Striker: Belotti (Torino), Suarez (Atleti), Origi (Liverpool), Nketiah (Arsenal)

I dont think we will be in the market for any of them players except if that Suarez rumour has legs.

I would say players like Onana, Christensen, Romagnoli, Brozovic and Tolisso are unrealistic as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, VBM said:

Seems odd to me that Cash is being written off fitting into Gerrard's system just yet and I don't think the issue with him is anything like the issue with Targett.

The issue people seem to have on here is with the creative side of Cash's game, and certainly his stats from the last year in this area generally seem low for the position and especially for what we'd ideally want in our system:

image.png.9ae0fe1e50752c923ba94f2ddcd962de.png

xA and SCA in the 30th & 33rd percentile for fullbacks is well below Digne (83rd & 87th) and even Targett (75th & 68th).

I'd like to see what these numbers look like under Gerrard once we get to the summer though, because I expect we'll see a reasonable increase. Not to Digne levels, somewhere in the 60s or maybe 70s percentile wise wouldn't surprise me, which is probably enough for him to be a decent creative force in Gerrard's system.

I think this improvement is possible in part because we might be seeing it already, as he's at 1.8 SCA (50s percentile wise) with a marginal improvement in xA as well in a particularly difficult run of games and a new system under Gerrard. By the end of the season, after a much more favourable run of fixtures and being in a more settled system and perhaps having had time to focus in training on different in game priorities, I could easily see the numbers picking up further. Also maybe worth considering is the system pre-Gerrard and it's potential impact on the above figures. We had a fairly well documented left-side attacking bias under Smith, I think even into this season to some degree as well, which will surely have had some impact Cash's creative opportunities.

Also worth noting the progressive passing/carries/dribbles above I don't think are much of a worry. These are around the same levels as Digne and I don't think are a major requirement in Gerrard's system where full backs are taking higher positions mostly it seems through off the ball movement and are much more likely to be receiving than making progressive passes. Which brings me to the positives of Cash in Gerrard's system...

image.png.27f1c7f3e98c449ce85a07aebf3635e5.png

image.png.901cdb8a6faabd3ca6b7c05de959a774.png

Cash is pretty good at getting forward into offensive positions and especially getting into the penalty area. The positional aspect of the full back role in Gerrard's system seems a pretty critical starting requirement to succeeding in the role and hard to argue Cash isn't mobile or agressive enough in getting forward, especially when those numbers above are likely impacted by the previously mentioned left side bias under Smith. Worth noting he's at 3.1 progressive passes received and 2.9 touches in the penalty area under Gerrard, which looks 80s to 90s percentile wise, while xG is also up. He's certainly more mobile and aggressive in getting forward than Targett ever was (xg 21st percentile, shots 14th, penalty area touches 36th, progressive passes received 46th), which was his downfall in spite of reasonable creative output. I don't think Gerrard's system is a strict as "full backs need to get forward and put in lots of crosses", so even if Cash's creative output doesn't reach Digne levels, it might actually be useful to have varried attacking threats from each full back.

All the above completely ignores his defensive numbers...

image.png.ec602db33d56dfe89ebd5fcb1b4b8c6a.png

... which look exceptionally good. While Gerrard's system is perhaps less reliant on the defensive capabilities of it's full backs than other set ups, the full backs are not completely absolved of defensive duties and still need to be more than capable in this area. This is especially the case when, even if we are around the 6th/7th mark next season we'll possibly still be playing at least a quarter of our games on the back foot against teams above and around us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Can we agree we desperately, desperately need a quality CB? Konsa is criminally overrated and we all know Mings is heinously awful and costs us at least a goal every two games. 

Yes, I can agree unfortunately lots of fans think our back four is great and the reality is we need two additions there that are first choice and a first choice DCM

to be brutally honest, of our senior players, i really only see 5 of them as good enough for a nailed on spot in the starting 11, if we really want to push for top 6/8.

Martinez, Digne, Ramsey, Coutinho & Buendia.

Im not saying others arent good enough for squad places, or to compete for places, but for me, they are the only players genuinely "good enough" to be in a starting 11 if we want to really push up the table.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Yes, I can agree unfortunately lots of fans think our back four is great and the reality is we need two additions there that are first choice and a first choice DCM

He is great. No one is saying he's a world class player though. If Villa signed a 80+ million CB to replace him or Konsa then that's a great thing. A sign of pushing on. But we don't need two new CBs. 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

giphy.gif

Yes but that's not the point! Cash was a winger who was converted as was Ashley Young. Stranger things have happened!

Meslier is still very young but has the potential to be world class. 

Edited by Made In Aston