Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

We need a significant overhaul. Konsa and Mings don't possess the ability to play out from the back and be top 6 CBs. So we'll move on from them. At least one CB signing is a must.

McGinn and Luiz are nowhere near good enough. Luiz to be sold as he's a year left on his contract. McGinn down to a squad player and no new contract. 

Watkins to be sold if we can get a decent offer. He's just not what we need in this system. He is clearly not a goal scorer and that's what we need in our system. 

So we need to sort CDM, RM, CB and CF. We should sell a one of our CBs, Luiz and Watkins. Along with the obvious ones in AEG, Trezeguet, Guilbert, Davis. 

So it'll be tough getting 4 starting players in this summer but at least 3 is a minimum. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We need a significant overhaul. Konsa and Mings don't possess the ability to play out from the back and be top 6 CBs. So we'll move on from them. At least one CB signing is a must.

McGinn and Luiz are nowhere near good enough. Luiz to be sold as he's a year left on his contract. McGinn down to a squad player and no new contract. 

Watkins to be sold if we can get a decent offer. He's just not what we need in this system. He is clearly not a goal scorer and that's what we need in our system. 

So we need to sort CDM, RM, CB and CF. We should sell a one of our CBs, Luiz and Watkins. Along with the obvious ones in AEG, Trezeguet, Guilbert, Davis. 

So it'll be tough getting 4 starting players in this summer but at least 3 is a minimum. 

Exactly where I'm at with it. 

We'll definitely sign 3, but I think we need 4. I've had it with our central midfield. It's embarrassing watching us try to play out from the back. McGinn is all over the place when he is under pressure and I constantly think he's about to lose the ball. Ramsey is much more comfortable with the ball as he can run with it and get himself out of tight situations. Luiz has played well in that DM position probably 10 times in his career. The biggest compliment I can give him is that he's not a number 6. 

We have saleable assets. If we're shrewd enough with our business, I think we can get away with signing 4 new starters with less than a £75m net spend. 

I think the problem with constantly spending is we're becoming a bit like Everton a few years ago. Rip it all up and start again every year. Or a shitter version of Man Utd.

At the same time, players like Mings, McGinn, Watkins, Luiz are not showing themselves to be worthy for us every passing week they play.

It's just so utterly frustrating supporting this club to be honest. Always feels like we're incapable of becoming a good team again. 

I look at sides like Wolves and Brighton (and Leicester up until this summer) and they just seem to be so much better run than us. It's so sad. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think the problem with constantly spending is we're becoming a bit like Everton a few years ago. Rip it all up and start again every year. Or a shitter version of Man Utd.

At the same time, players like Mings, McGinn, Watkins, Luiz are not showing themselves to be worthy for us every passing week they play.

It's just so utterly frustrating supporting this club to be honest. Always feels like we're incapable of becoming a good team again. 

I look at sides like Wolves and Brighton (and Leicester up until this summer) and they just seem to be so much better run than us. It's so sad. 

There is a painful truth to this. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Agree

I think we'll take a lot longer doing this than people want to see

Another 2 seasons away from top 7 imo 

But also with wolves and Brighton that's what this league is, there's a lot of good teams, a lot of good coaches and a lot of good players... Its not just us trying to make moves 

Throwing money at it will not solve the problem 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

21 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We'll definitely sign 3, but I think we need 4. I've had it with our central midfield. It's embarrassing watching us try to play out from the back. McGinn is all over the place when he is under pressure and I constantly think he's about to lose the ball. Ramsey is much more comfortable with the ball as he can run with it and get himself out of tight situations. Luiz has played well in that DM position probably 10 times in his career. The biggest compliment I can give him is that he's not a number 6. 

We have saleable assets. If we're shrewd enough with our business, I think we can get away with signing 4 new starters with less than a £75m net spend. 

i know this is probably completely unrealistic, but this is what i would try to do......... (with obviously variance in specific income, or specific spend on positions - im just trying to give an overview).

image.png.a5ae267972cd86f70f28d03e15b17d4d.png

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

That's the good position we are in. Regardless what we get for the players they will be sold at profits. So we have the opportunity to move on as a club from these players. We aren't stuck with them

39 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

That is spot on in my opinion.

29 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

This is the fear. Under Smith there was a feeling of gradual growth across the club. Developing youth, intelligent signings, fiscally responsible, targeting potential.

Incremental, marginal gains.

Under Gerrard the mood seems to have changed. Bigger signings, bigger wages... more risk.

It was very clear we needed more experience hence Digne and Countinho. 

Losing a player as big as Grealish was going to take time for the squad to find its feet. 

The team needs an overhaul but I do trust the vision - especially with the young players we have. 

Gerrard will want to impose the vision he has for the squad and get rid of the deadweight and relics of the Smith era. 

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Ben Brereton Diaz for Blackburn looks a tidy forward, just watching the WBA/Blackburn game.

I think we'll go for proven statement signings now. Raise the profile of the team.

Whether thats the right way to do it, i'm not sure. 

Reading this thread sounds like a build page for one of those FIFA games (take your pick).

I don't think we are that far off where we want to be. Perhaps another CDM to help our struggling midfield as we have no cover for that position and Marv is long term injured.

The rest need time, need to gel and need decent coaching.

So i think people are overreacting to the Newcastle loss. Personally i think the players were drained from the Leeds game and this affected their performance level.  It don't excuse the tepid excuse for football we had to sit through but this kind of performance is very rare, and coming on the back of such a high tempo, end to end game like the leeds game, it could be predicted.

Watkins is going through a bad period at the minute, but we all know how good he is. One goal and he could look like 2020-2021's Watkins. Unless we can unearth a Haaland level talent we won't be able to find a significant upgrade. Watkins and Ings are as good a pair of Strikers you will see outside the top 6.

Luiz needs to play in central midfield in the thick of the action not sitting in front of the defence. I don't believe his defensive qualities are sufficent for a 6. If he wants to sign a new contract then I say give it to him and use him a longside Ramsey. That pairing in front of a quality DM can boss games.

We also need to look to our youth. Carney, and Tim in midfield. Archer and maybe Davis uptop. A Ramsey and JPB in wide positions, Kessler at RB all have big potential.

For me need two top quality signings 30m minimum per player type spending (in addition to permanetly signing Coutinho). 4 players like that would be great, but we have to balance things out. A high turnover of players creates instability. Also we need to maintain a pathway for young players to breakthrough, otherwise what's the point in hoovering up the best talent we can find.

A top quality DM is what everyone including the top people at the club know we need. I'd like to see what a Ramsey - Luiz partnership can do in front of a quality DM. I feel Mcginn is the most expendable saleble asset, but i think he still has a role to play at the club. Keep him or Sell him I'm fine either way. As I see it both Sanson and Chukwuemeka are better suited to the type of football trying to be implimented (compared to Mcginn).

A quality 3rd choice centre back is the next item on the transfer agenda. Someone good enough to make Mings and Konsa play out of their skin to keep their place.  CB is a position that should be messed with too much, so you bring in a player a make him earn his place, not give it to them on a silver platter! Not sure Joe Gomez is the answer! Seems similar to what we have only injury prone!

I see Chambers was brought in for the short term aim of defensive cover as Tuanzube left. Long term as a utlity player that covers CB, RB, and DM.

Finally if Targett gets sold, find a replacement for him.

So 2 to 3 players. Assess again next January. This should be our strategy now going forwards. Keeping our best players and adding two quality additions every season.

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

Reading this thread sounds like a build page for one of those FIFA games (take your pick).

I don't think we are that far off where we want to be. Perhaps another CDM to help our struggling midfield as we have no cover for that position and Marv is long term injured.

The rest need time, need to gel and need decent coaching.

By the end of this season Mings, Konsa, Luiz and McGinn will have played in the PL for 3 whole seasons, with Watkins completing his 2nd this year. All of them are painfully inconsistent.

How much time do you give them if you are a club that wants to push for Europe ASAP?

8 hours ago, picicata said:

Who ever we sign this summer will be new, shiny and exciting. And then by next summer they'll be shit and in need of moving on. In the meantime we will have truly made that 11th position our own. Get in!

Very true. The sad thing is that clubs that do well on a limited budget have top recruiting and are very well coached. Difficult to spend yourself to the top without those foundations.

• Like 1