Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

2 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Respect needs to be put on his name. On current form the first defender on the teamsheet 

It’s genuinely competitive now for the first time I can remember. At their best form any of our main four CBs could stake a claim to be first choice and even Hause is a ridiculously qualified fifth choice (I imagine he’ll leave at some point or will be cover if we got the right bid for someone else down the line).

• Like 2

Just now, Adam2003 said:

It’s genuinely competitive now for the first time I can remember. At their best form any of our main four CBs could stake a claim to be first choice and even Hause is a ridiculously qualified fifth choice (I imagine he’ll leave at some point or will be cover if we got the right bid for someone else down the line).

Our 5th choice defender will make a very solid claim for being the best headerer of the ball in the squad 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Our 5th choice defender will make a very solid claim for being the best headerer of the ball in the squad 

Wasnt he among the best in Europe at winning defensive headers a few seasons ago

10 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yup like him along side Carlos.

Didnt they start against Leeds together as well. Maybe reading too much into it but could be first game of the season starting 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Didnt they start against Leeds together as well. Maybe reading too much into it but could be first game of the season starting 2

I’m not sure if it was Chambers-Carlos or Chambers-Mings? 

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Respect needs to be put on his name. On current form the first defender on the teamsheet 

I've been saying how criminally underrated and underappreciated he is for a while.

I almost think he is too good to be on a bench,

I reckon transfer fee and him simply not being " fashionable " works against him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I've been saying how criminally underrated and underappreciated he is for a while.

I reckon transfer fee and him simply not being " fashionable " works against him.

also because he seems to be a really nice professional fella unlikely to kick up a fuss.

knows bugger all about aussie slang and facts however!

• Like 1

On pre-season so far I'd say order of performances is:

1. Chambers
  2. Carlos
  3. Mings
  4. Konsa
  5. Feeney
  6. Hause

I think the game against Man Utd will be the telling indicator of who will be our first choice centre halves for the new season.

I'd currently go Chambers / Carlos - I think they've both looked calm and composed and error free. 

Thought Mings and Konsa were less composed today.

Great position to be in for SG - But I do hope he has the balls to play the two in form and not just Mings, because it's Mings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

On pre-season so far I'd say order of performances is:

1. Chambers
  2. Carlos
  3. Mings
  4. Konsa
  5. Feeney
  6. Hause

I think the game against Man Utd will be the telling indicator of who will be our first choice centre halves for the new season.

I'd currently go Chambers / Carlos - I think they've both looked calm and composed and error free. 

Thought Mings and Konsa were less composed today.

Great position to be in for SG - But I do hope he has the balls to play the two in form and not just Mings, because it's Mings.

Carlos and Chambers also importantly, are good " ball players ".

Then can both create, as well as defend intelligently.

• Like 1

So far Chamber is better centre half in Preseason, which impressive me. Hope he keep his place.

Hopefully Gerrard pick him as first choice i think need him as Best Centre Half with Football Skill. 

Mings was suppose better in this area - which in turn he is worst player (I was his big fan and defend him last season) in Pre-season.. Especial one part today he pass behind (suppose be front) of Konsa (no one in far side), Konsa puzzle and panic to get ball luck after he reliese no one far side, Mings was lucky no one with opponent far as 30m, I like WT...... what the hell what he tried do? - and I notice that Konsa get better and recovery like his best 2 season ago, what i like see Konsa go pop forward today, that what i was wanted see him do this and know he can do this.

So Far what i see CB ranks in Preseason.

Chamber
Carlos
Konsa
Mings (I Know shock) 
Feeney (be fair on him I still very impressive with his display as he play like mature and experience even i forget he was only 17 something) 
Hause (No see him player yet) Injury? 

12 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

We will surely start season with Carlos-Mings. Feels like the safe option but Chambers to me is ahead of Konsa in pecking order. Gelled very well with Mings and our defensive stats were very strong in his starts v good range of opponents. Even on final day I thought he was excellent for 70 mins v Man. City and no way to blame for the collapse.

This is what we need to seriously move up the league, 3rd choice to come in and quality not to significantly drop. We have that with Chambers now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think it's just more Mings standing here and fact he's the actual captain means he'll always be starting unless he's in terrible form. And Diego is obvious starter given what we've paid and his form at Sevilla.

So unless we suddenly go 3-5-2 Chambers won't start but it's a long season of course.

We could play 3-5-2 much better now than 12 months ago with options we have so I'd like to see it tried out at some stage this season.

Edit: Didn't Gerrard say he was going to make a decision in the captaincy in pre season? Obviously if it just stays with Mings he'll be starting regularly. 

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Are people thinking he could bump Mings to the bench? 

Maybe. He’s looked very comfortable. 

Really makes you wonder about the captain - you want someone who is one of the first names on the team sheet. Right now we have Emi M, Cash, Digne and Kamara who you would bet would start games if fit. I guess add Carlos too. Given that I don’t love having a keeper as captain that makes it a tough call.

Edited by Vancvillan

Â