Luis Suarez

Delphinho123

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Maybe, although given that one of the concerns when SG was brought in was that he's desperate to get the Liverpool job, his signings so far don't do anything to dissuade the possibility that he's going for that in the short term. It's certainly not a long term strategy. IF he does use an improved league placing to put himself in the shop window in the next season or so, we need to be damn sure he doesn't do it at our expense by shouldering us with massive wages. I'm OK with Coutinho as it's a short term loan first, but we need to be really careful here. I am loving what SG has done so far, but he's not filling me with confidence that he'll be here in the medium term.  

Besides, how does Grealish leaving a week before the new season not imbue cynicism? In no way did I think he'd leave for Man City, and that proved massively naive on my part. 

fair enough. I'm not sure that SG is so desperate for the Liverpool job that he'd toss us under the bus for this sake. Klopp is still very successful with them and not looking to move on right now anyways so even if he was desperate for it there are no guarantees he will be called up by them in the short term. I think that SG just wants us to have a little more experience in the squad to balance it out with all the young players we have. We can agree or disagree with this, but I don't think that what he is saying & doing is evidence of something more sinister than this.

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Late to the party, any actual links to Suarez or just low level scumbags churning the usual tosh?

Only seen SKY quoting the story - so only sub-tosh from bellend central.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Who knows? this transfer window I don't know what to believe!

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Bit of smoke by the looks of it, Phil, but hard to say, isn't it?

Seems like SG wants next level quality, we are misfiring upfront, could happen. Dunno what this all does to the balance in the dressing room, if I'm a McGinn/Cash/Ming's level player I'd wanna be here and learn from the best, I'd work my arse off to emulate them, I'd wanna be on their money and I'd graft hard to get there. Who knows, some might resent them. This phase of our progress was always coming, let's hope we smash it.

16 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Late to the party, any actual links to Suarez or just low level scumbags churning the usual tosh?

Does Suarez and his agent not count as a low level scumbag or is that for Twitterers and Sky 😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Suarez has scored 9 goals this season in all competitions, Ings and Watkins have scored 9 between them.

Suarez has 9 in 17 in La Liga and 10 goals in 32 games in all competitions.

He has 2 in his last 16 games.

Now it's perfectly sensible to say that the hundreds of goals he's scored in his last five or six hundred games massively outweigh that two in sixteen - but when we're talking about a player that has maybe fifty games left in his career, I think the most recent sixteen do need to be considered.

I don't like him, as a human being I think he's horrible - but my main concern is that we don't end up paying ten million pounds for a retirement season for a player who wants to wind down with his mates.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Does Suarez and his agent not count as a low level scumbag or is that for Twitterers and Sky 😛

Football agents, scum lawyers, cabinet ministers etc, nothing lower on this earth (except Bruno Fernandez of course).

Suarez is a player for sure, I wonder if a 2022 Suarez could work, maybe.

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Now it's perfectly sensible to say that the hundreds of goals he's scored in his last five or six hundred games massively outweigh that two in sixteen - but when we're talking about a player that has maybe fifty games left in his career, I think the most recent sixteen do need to be considered.

I don't like him, as a human being I think he's horrible - but my main concern is that we don't end up paying ten million pounds for a retirement season for a player who wants to wind down with his mates.

Yes. He's a totally different personally to Gerrard and Coutihno, could be destructive. I'd pass.

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we'd sign him as a starter personally, think he'd be more of a plan B option off the bench for majority of games if we signed him for 12 months.

O.k Young started the first few games and then first couple with Gerrard but primarily he's been backup player and outstanding behind the scenes so imo Suarez would be similar.

I think we'll move Ings on in summer as it's not working out. Ollie isn't clinical enough to fire us into top 6 but can stay as rotation option given he's generally stepped up fine for us in prem.

Watkins, Suarez and young CF to develop for striker role sounds alright to me. Last time we finished top 6 our strikers were Gabby, Carew and Heskey so would be similar dynamic.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nick76 said:

He’s a better striker than both Watkins and Ings.  

He’s not moving from A.Madrid, playing games to sitting on Aston Villa’s bench is he!

He’s a magnificent striker so I’m keen.

He is prolific.....It won't be long term, but it gives us breathing space while we try to climb the league.

He is as close as comes to guaranteeing goals.

Where does he play?......They have to fight for places and that means scoring.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

To be fair, the guy who first mentioned this even clarified to say it would be when Suarez' contract expired in the summer and not in January.

Yeah it was about summer. I can't see why we would stockpile Centre Forwards. Suarez would start games if he came here and we'd have Watkins / Ings sat on the bench. None of it makes any sense and that's why it wouldn't happen

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

fair enough. I'm not sure that SG is so desperate for the Liverpool job that he'd toss us under the bus for this sake. Klopp is still very successful with them and not looking to move on right now anyways so even if he was desperate for it there are no guarantees he will be called up by them in the short term. I think that SG just wants us to have a little more experience in the squad to balance it out with all the young players we have. We can agree or disagree with this, but I don't think that what he is saying & doing is evidence of something more sinister than this.

Fair, good points well made.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah it was about summer. I can't see why we would stockpile Centre Forwards. Suarez would start games if he came here and we'd have Watkins / Ings sat on the bench. None of it makes any sense and that's why it wouldn't happen

Or one or both of our strikers may leave in the summer for whatever reason.

Am I right in saying he can sign a pre-contract agreement with us for the Summer though?

The Mirror tweet people are mentioning above just says we're not looking to sign him in Jan which is correct as the person who originally linked us confirmed it to be a Summer move when his contract ends. 
I'd say we're almost definitely in for him given the person who originally tweeted is top tier when it comes to transfers.