Luis Suarez

Delphinho123

35 or not he would be a great signing for a season. His record was better than 1 in 3 last season, 2 in 3 the season before.

Different league of course, but I'm confident his shooting and movement would put Watkins and Ings to shame.

• Like 1

Not sure why we would sign him. 35yo big wages less chances for our young attacking players

We don't need another Striker and his wage would be to high to have as a Ashley Young Mentor Squad player. 

Need a CB and a DM desperately. 

Edited by LondonVillian

No going to comment on his as a person.

As a player, he just doesn't come across as someone who would give anything other than 100%. And he's still doing it at the top of La Liga. 
Clubs spend a fortune of 'substitute strikers' - someone to bring on for 20/30 minutes, and start a handful of games when there is a fixture backlog. A freebie, experienced player would make sense - even on £100k a week for a year, the total cost would be £5.2m. Ings is costing us more than that, plus about £7m a year in transfer fee depreciation. (Not a dig at Ings - just a comparison).

As others have said, you could compare him to Cavani at Man Utd. And that's probably the one signing they got right over the past few years. 

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The N word in question is apparently not deemed racist in Uruguay and is actually seen as affectionate.  Cavani got punished for using it too. 

I don’t think Suarez is racist or a nasty person in any way. I just think he’s a complete idiot.  He comes across as a petulant child. 

You think Suarez mentioned Patrice Evra’s skin colour during a heated argument to show his affection for him?? Hmm...

Well, his account is below.

After trying to persuade the reader what a warm, cuddly, and “affectionate” word it is, we finally get to the nub of the matter in bold – surprise, surprise, the whole affectionate angle is a complete red-herring because of the context in which the word was used.

(Naturally, Suarez also finds time to paint himself as the victim at every opportunity)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/26/luis-suarez-am-i-a-racist-no-absolutely-not-i-was-horrified

“...I recalled that the referee had called us over at one point. Evra had come looking for me at a corner asking me why I had kicked him. It is always a bit hypocritical when a defender who spends the whole game kicking you complains of being kicked.

He initiated the argument and he chose to do so in Spanish. In the following exchanges between me and him I used the Spanish word “negro” once.

What some people will never want to accept is that the argument took place in Spanish. I did not use the word “negro” the way it can be used in English.

As I am now fully aware (and I did not even know this at the time), in English there is a word that is spelled the same way but is pronounced differently and it is highly offensive: negro, pronounced nee-gro. Negro (pronounced neh-gro) in Spanish means “black”, nothing more. It is not in itself an insult. Now, people will say: “Okay, but you said ‘black’ – you shouldn’t have.” But Evra had started the argument in Spanish and the Spanish language is full of these ways of addressing someone: “Guapo” (handsome), “Gordo” (fatty), “Flaco” (skinny), “Rubio” (blond), and so on. Just names based on physical characteristics, nothing more. Negro can refer to anyone with dark hair as well as dark skin and I’ve been used to the word being used in Spanish in this way all my life. My wife sometimes calls me “Negro” or (the diminutive version) “Negrito”. My grandmother used to call my grandfather “Negrito” and she would occasionally call me that too. I’m not trying to pretend it was meant in a friendly way to Evra because clearly we were arguing. But nor was it ever meant as a racist slur.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

If this does actually happen, it is basically ripping up two years worth of transfer policies to get a player in. Not sure what is going on unless this is utter BS. It will be going from trust the process to what process.

Bringing in a top quality striker for a short period while the younger players have a bit more time to develop, sounds exactly like the process to me.  Additionally improving the profile of the club and having a guaranteed goalscorer.  Sounds perfect.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

For those those worried about FFP.

Why should we? It's a load of horse shyte that just protects top teams. All those other teams spend like crazy and then the rules just get bent. I hope NSWE pile money into the Villa playing squad and stick 2 fingers up at FIFA, UEFA and the PL

They wont let us play in Europe if we qualify. Bigger clubs than Villa have got European bans for breaching it

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Bringing in a top quality striker for a short period while the younger players have a bit more time to develop, sounds exactly like the process to me.  Additionally improving the profile of the club and having a guaranteed goalscorer.  Sounds perfect.

We have have an experienced top quality striker on the books, just that we don't know what to do with him. We need a defensive midfielder far more imo. 

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

We have have an experienced top quality striker on the books, just that we don't know what to do with him. We need a defensive midfielder far more imo. 

I agree we need a DM but we can do more things than one.  As for multiple strikers, who knows what’s going on with them.

Just now, Zatman said:

I dont think our club captain would be too happy to have him on board and I think it would be a disgusting move regardless of his ability 

You haven’t been happy with any transfer thread this month so far have you? What’s going on?

13 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If this does actually happen, it is basically ripping up two years worth of transfer policies to get a player in. Not sure what is going on unless this is utter BS. It will be going from trust the process to what process.

yes but maybe that was the transfer policy for that period of our development, and now we've moved onto the next phase, - to sign experienced winners in the short term. As someone above said, both Man City and Chelsea did this at points in their rebuilding process.

The owners have always said they had a clearly defined 5 year plan to improve Aston Villa. Maybe this is part of it. I have proposed in the past that moving from Dean Smith to Gerrard may also have been part of this plan.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Sounds good. We should have all the strikers. 

All except Tammy Abraham obviously.