Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Watching the snippet made me remember he hasn't even been here a full season as he was signed in January.

Hopefully now fully bedded in, with a full pre season, he'll be at peak powers, more often.

• Like 3

Digne's role in the team is one that really excites me, whilst it's not something we are accustomed to at Villa but I think he'll show himself to be a real star player for the team despite playing fullback.

Not only has his defensive ability been far better than fans were led to believe when he first transferred, the technical ability on his deliveries far exceed anything in our team and is a truly unique weapon evidenced by the amount of goals he had a direct hand in towards our run at the end of the season when he was bedded into the team at full fitness.

Most importantly however is his ability to get us up the pitch. The biggest thing we've lacked his Grealish's departure has this been this virtue - too many times we've tried to play out from the back only to be boxed in or ping up to Ollie for it to bounce off to the opposition. 

The outball from Martinez to Digne high up is one we clearly favoured at the end of the last season and is very reminiscent to how we played out with Grealish in the team, Lucas like Jack has the touch to completely trap the ball and help move us up the pitch from GK.

With a growing French contingent Lucas is already being looked upon as as one of the leaders of our squad and given Gerrard's preference for proven world class performers I think Digne as France's starting left back and great application for the team is actually my outside shout for captaincy in the coming season.

• Like 1

I’m not too happy to see these sorts of tackles going in, of course I want to see a level of aggression in our play but that’s 2 games in a row where we have had players get away with challenges that would’ve seen red via VAR in the PL.

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

I’m not too happy to see these sorts of tackles going in, of course I want to see a level of aggression in our play but that’s 2 games in a row where we have had players get away with challenges that would’ve seen red via VAR in the PL.

When was the first?  You aren't referring to McGinn, surely?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craigy1874 said:

When was the first?  You aren't referring to McGinn, surely?

So you don’t think that VAR would’ve upgraded that to a red? I’m not saying its the worst challenge that I’ve ever seen, but he would’ve seen red imo.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is lucky that was a disgusting tackle that could have done damage. VAR sends him off which luckily they didnt use today

Agree would have been a red card with VAR but not as bad as it looks I don’t think - he was trying to block the ball so while his foot connected with the shin, thankfully his weight was backwards not forwards.

He’s stretched to block after losing the ball. There was no malice in that at all. He might have seen red with VAR because he’s hurt the player  and you just don’t know what ref’s will come out with these days but that’s just a yellow for me. 

Complete accident.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

The thing is that tackles like this one from Digne or the previous one from McGinn will almost certainly be a red card in the Premier League which most likely leads to a loss of the game.   

The margins are so fine, we need to be as close to perfect on everything all the time. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s stretched to block after losing the ball. There was no malice in that at all. He might have seen red with VAR because he’s hurt the player  and you just don’t know what ref’s will come out with these days but that’s just a yellow for me. 

Complete accident.

Was no malice but it could have ended worse for the Brisbane guy but the ball is gone a long time before he connects with the player. It would definitely be a red in the Premier League and a potential leg breaker if a stronger player makes that tackle since Digne is probably one of the lightest players in our squad

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ender4 said:

The thing is that tackles like this one from Digne or the previous one from McGinn will almost certainly be a red card in the Premier League which most likely leads to a loss of the game.   

The margins are so fine, we need to be as close to perfect on everything all the time. 

This. I’m not condemning the lads, as I know they’re not ‘dirty’ players, but ultimately their actions would cost us 3 points and a 3 match ban.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Was no malice but it could have ended worse for the Brisbane guy but the ball is gone a long time before he connects with the player. It would definitely be a red in the Premier League and a potential leg breaker if a stronger player makes that tackle since Digne is probably one of the lightest players in our squad

I personally think the injury is as bad as it could have been. It’s the blades that have cut the lad more than the force. If he had flats on it wouldn’t even be a talking point. 

Always looks worse in slow motion and I get players need to be careful but sometimes these thing happen.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is lucky that was a disgusting tackle that could have done damage. VAR sends him off which luckily they didnt use today

Jeez man, you make it sound like a two feet off the ground lunge, in reality he had a poor touch and in desperation to not lose the ball he went a little over the top. I agree it would have been a red with VAR but I don’t see the need for the hyperbole.

You’ve been spending too much time on the Leeds forum I guess.

• Like 2

Â