Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

45 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It isn't just fitness imo.

Not at the level he was in 2017.

He is still good at striking the ball and his passing is slick but we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.

He isn't going to rip up the league. He is an improvement on Traore, and I'll take that for now.

Ye mention him daily, he’s only played one full game this season 😂😂

Needs match fitness so glad he got the run out. This was just not the game for the little magician. Everton chose violence. Not really much we can do about that. Was always gonna be ball in the air decided by a set piece kind of game. 

Still had a semi every time I heard his name or saw his name on a Villa shirt though. 

• Like 2

Seventy-odd minutes will do him wonders, then we have over two weeks before another match to work on him.

It was a tough game for him but showed good movement an some nice touches.

The next game at home, under the lights, Dirty Leeds it is all set-up for him to have a match-winning performance.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Seventy-odd minutes will do him wonders, then we have over two weeks before another match to work on him.

It was a tough game for him but showed good movement an some nice touches.

The next game at home, under the lights, Dirty Leeds it is all set-up for him to have a match-winning performance.

He is going on international duty but it could be good to get game time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

Needs match fitness so glad he got the run out. This was just not the game for the little magician. Everton chose violence. Not really much we can do about that. Was always gonna be ball in the air decided by a set piece kind of game. 

Still had a semi every time I heard his name or saw his name on a Villa shirt though. 

Still seems mad that we are able to name him in the side doesn’t it? Agreed though that this wasn’t the game for him,  the ‘football’ being played wasn't the best, from either side really.

On 23/01/2022 at 01:44, villalad21 said:

It isn't just fitness imo.

Not at the level he was in 2017.

He is still good at striking the ball and his passing is slick but we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.

He isn't going to rip up the league. He is an improvement on Traore, and I'll take that for now.

What are you basing this on and more importantly why are you basing your presumption so strongly on it?

We are discussing something that has yet to come to pass and from where I sit the possibility of him being a league leader by seasons end is more probable than it is just a potentiality. 

It's still all speculation and hearsay. To suggest any different says something in itself. 

Edited by A'Villan

54 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

What are you basing this on and more importantly why are you basing your presumption so strongly on it?

We are discussing something that has yet to come to pass and from where I sit the possibility of him being a league leader by seasons end is more probable than it is just a potentiality. 

It's still all speculation and hearsay. To suggest any different says something in itself. 

Have you watched him play post Liverpool? 

He's not been the same player. 

I think its unfair to have unrealistic expectations from him. 

He used to dance out of tight spaces and take players on but he just isn't that player anymore. And you would know that had you actually watched him in recent years. 

He can still shoot, pass and arrive in the box but Liverpool levels just ain't happening. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He used to dance out of tight spaces and take players on but he just isn't that player anymore. And you would know that had you actually watched him in recent years. 

He can still shoot, pass and arrive in the box but Liverpool levels just ain't happening. 

Maybe you're right and those levels may never return. You also can't make the assumption that he can't get back to those levels. 

I think if he gets to a level in-between I think alot of us would be very happy. 

21 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Maybe you're right and those levels may never return. You also can't make the assumption that he can't get back to those levels. 

I think if he gets to a level in-between I think alot of us would be very happy. 

Exactly. He can still have his moments of magic that will make a difference in some games.  But in terms of running the game we have Emi for that.  ³

56 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I have. - Barca used to be my second team until they tried destroying footy along with the other 11. He still dances out of tight spaces.

Against Manure he had about 4 half chances and scored from one. He lacks match fitness and sharpness. 

Everton was a more difficult game but still could have scored but for that fitness. 

The kid is a genius enjoy his presence with Emi. 

2 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Right now he isn't the same player. He wouldn't be here on loan if he was.

The hope is he gets back to something like those 2017 levels. If he doesn't then we have to ask could the likely £35m fee and £100k+ PW wages be better spent ?

Hopefully he gets up to speed. But we have to make the judgement on his contribution now - not what he did 4 years ago.

18 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

With the lack of games we have coming up he could almost a mini pre season at Bodymoor to get him match sharp.

apart from the fact he's with the Brazil squad for the games on 27/2 & 02/02, but that could also act like some sort of mini pre season i suppose.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Well I disagree. I think we both can be headstrong and at times that's an invaluable quality and at times it hurts one's ability to realise an error or potential for other possibilities. 

I see what you are saying, and its got more merit than I thought when I opened my mouth. 

However I have seen him play post Liverpool, and there's still much magic in him. You are right, it will be difficult to rise to the levels of yesteryear, especially given that he's already done it. There will always be that presence in his mind that he has nothing to prove.

Listen to his interview alongside JJ and you can see an honest man, honest with himself first and foremost. That indicates to me he acknowledges what his situation is and the work ahead of him.

Also, I was basing my opinion as much on my 20 odd years being involved as a player for professional basketball clubs and what I've seen along that path.

It's relevant to Coutinho because there are so many variables that determine what happens and why, and getting to know the story is equally if not more important than being there to observe the performances of a player. Because behind the display is a person and a driving cause for why they do what they do. 

He's no longer at Barca, and I've already posted on what happened there and I'm sure you can look into it yourself if you are willing to see beyond calling him a passed it has been when it comes to world class.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Right now he isn't the same player. He wouldn't be here on loan if he was.

The hope is he gets back to something like those 2017 levels. If he doesn't then we have to ask could the likely £35m fee and £100k+ PW wages be better spent ?

Hopefully he gets up to speed. But we have to make the judgement on his contribution now - not what he did 4 years ago.

Off topic but my philosophical outlook.

Pessimism is doomed before it even begins, as by its own nature is too heavily entrenched in failure that it doesnt know how to set out for anything new or different. 

Realism is fine, and even a great measure at times. It is however limited to what is apparent and already established. In this way it will remain as it always has been as it doesn't know how to look for anything that hasn't been done before.

Optimism is only bound to one's imagination for a better approach, outcome, quality of life, whatever it may be. It's not to be mistaken with blind faith or a foolish resistance to accept things which are not going to deliver or serve any purpose. It by meaning suggests that it is a way to make the best of what you've got.

And what we've got is a player with much more going for him than you or I casting premature verdicts on what he's capable of.

• Like 2

Â