Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

good for his fitness, was quiet, but tbh was probably one of the worst games on paper for him (ie: Ferguson hulk smash Everton, Dyche hulk leg break Burnley types).

good for him to get 70 odd mins, will help him sharpen up 4 sure.

• Like 4

Just fitness. Great that he's starting and we are winning with him in the team. Gives us another level of options on the pitch and double worry for opponents. He'll take probably a month or so to be fully up to speed but I think we'll improve as he does. 

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

good for his fitness, was quiet, but tbh was probably one of the worst games on paper for him (ie: Ferguson hulk smash Everton, Dyche hulk leg break Burnley types).

good for him to get 70 odd mins, will help him sharpen up 4 sure.

Spot on mate. A real baptism of fire against 1970’s Everton. Run out will have done him good.

• Like 1

It isn't just fitness imo.

Not at the level he was in 2017.

He is still good at striking the ball and his passing is slick but we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.

He isn't going to rip up the league. He is an improvement on Traore, and I'll take that for now.

• Haha 4

Just now, nick76 said:

Good run out for him to get fitness.  Very little impact on the game today but glad he’s got good minutes under belt

Exactly. Can't really have any big expectations on him this early. He needs minutes and today was useful.

• Like 1

There was no space in the centre and was a scrappy high tempo game,which would have been tough for a fully fit Coutinho - let alone one that is no where near match fit.

Personally I would have started with Chuck, to deal with the early physicality, then brought Coutinho on in the second half when there was more space. But I understand Gerrard wanting to get him up to speed ASAP with more minutes. 

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It isn't just fitness imo.

Not at the level he was in 2017.

He is still good at striking the ball and his passing is slick but we shouldn't have unrealistic expectations.

He isn't going to rip up the league. He is an improvement on Traore, and I'll take that for now.

Give him a few months to settle! Remember what many people around here were saying about Buendia 3 months ago?

Â