Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

If money was no object, he's a no brainer. It is. And if I'm choosing between a No 10 and a genuinely quality DM I go the other way (which is cheaper and better for our squad and success). 

Looked much better when he came off. 

I'd be inclined to start Buendia ahead of him in the next game, he works a lot harder and puts a shift in. 

Done very little in the last few games and is a luxury player we just can't afford at the moment 

Was fantastic to see Coutinho in a Villa shirt but his absurd salary and tbf rather reasonable transfer fee makes it impossible to justify signing him unless he plays much, much, much better than this on a weekly basis.

Coutinho is a profile signing and he has enough good moments to warrant being bought. there was about 5/6 occaisions where he was free for a pullback but we assaulted the fullback's shins.  With a full preseason and a improved fitness I believe he can fire us up the table. With better players around him he'll be better too.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

Just don't think he offers enough consistently to be spending the vast amount on him that has been mooted. He is a luxury player that does well when we do well but doesn't seem to have the ability to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. Would rather see Buendia start from here until the end of the season.

Of course there's no way that we'd sign him just based on today's performance; he was absolutely invisible. We know how good he can be, though. 

It's a difficult question. He needs to convince us that he's worth the bunce from here 'til the end of the season.

You'd have to look where we were when we signed him, where we are now, how many anonymous games he's had versus how many he's made a difference in, and think does he justify that money? Not for me, on his own merits, and certainly not when it keeps Buendia out of the first 11.

In one sense, it looks very risky, based on age, price, inconsistency etc.

However, you can't help but feel that, a few better players around him, and he excels?

We have seen what he is capable of.

The other concern is, you don't want to lose Buendia.

If we sign him, we need to find an effective way to utilise both.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â