Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

11 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

No, he didn't show enough to sign him permanently. Especially for,what it was, 4 years? Madness and example of wishful thinking by Purslow and Gerrard.

I think he showed enough for a permanent signing at 17 mil. 4 year contract was foolish though, and we should never have expected him to be the answer to all our problems in attack. Should have been a cheapish backup option, a bit like how we're looking at Barkley now.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

I think he showed enough for a permanent signing at 17 mil. 4 year contract was foolish though, and we should never have expected him to be the answer to all our problems in attack. Should have been a cheapish backup option, a bit like how we're looking at Barkley now.

It wasnt just £17m though.

When you sign someone for 4 years on £135k per week you are committing additional £28m for his wages. £45m in total.

I was horrified when I learned these muppets signed him and gave him 4 year contract.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

Let’s not rewrite history, he showed enough to make the move for £17mill permanent but his body just couldn’t deal with the demands of the premier league. He took a humongous pay cut to play for us and was a real coup at the time. Yes it didn’t work out sadly for all involved but he has always been a consummate professional and wish him all the best. 

Phil was a total pro. Humble. Didn’t bring an ego. Just wanted to play football. Never complained. 

Sucks it didn’t work out. Blame Gerrard and Purslow for the contract length. But people should not take out their frustrations about that era on him. 

• Like 2

Based on the above figures, he's due £14m in wages over the next two years.. that's a big pay off.

Also got £8.5m of transfer amortisation too.

I think he'll get another loan to a Saudi or US team and they'll be asked (ideally) to cover wages and pay £4m loan fee

The contract length was a direct result of him lowering his wage demands. 

We couldn't afford him within our FFP demands on a higher salary, but by extending the contract we lowered annual amortisation and his annual salary.

I imagine we thought we'd get a 30m player for two seasons on a 15m players salary,  and then accept the other two years as a long term payoff. Sadly he broke quicker than we thought he would. What could have been...

4 hours ago, thabucks said:

Let’s not rewrite history, he showed enough to make the move for £17mill permanent but his body just couldn’t deal with the demands of the premier league. He took a humongous pay cut to play for us and was a real coup at the time. Yes it didn’t work out sadly for all involved but he has always been a consummate professional and wish him all the best. 

Zaniolo is going for the same price and people wont be happy signing him and probably done just as much as Coutinho did

26 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

It wasnt just £17m though.

When you sign someone for 4 years on £135k per week you are committing additional £28m for his wages. £45m in total.

I was horrified when I learned these muppets signed him and gave him 4 year contract.

As I said, the 4 year deal was the problem. Overall a poor transfer no doubt but I do think he showed enough to make it worthwhile if he was cheaper

At the time Buendia was playing better in limited minutes and this was a vanity permanent signing from Dumb and Dumber

Nothing against him personally, just not good enough at this level since 2020

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Funny carrer Phil has had. If you take out a couple of years at Liverpool it was largely underwhelming at Inter , Barca,  Bayern and Villa but for a short time he was genuinely world class. Not sure if it was the injuries, loss of confidence or both but he will never get back to what he was. And he is still only in his early thirties. 

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Funny carrer Phil has had.

I know Phil's legs are made of tissue paper and is the wrong side of 30, but I didn't think he needed a carer just yet!

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I know Phil's legs are made of tissue paper and is the wrong side of 30, but I didn't think he needed a carer just yet!

Let alone a comedy one.  

not the best for PSR taking a full 8.5m loss in one go instead of over 2 seasons. But maybe 7m in salary nobody could pay more than 4-5m of that. 

COUTINHO ARRIVES IN BRAZIL…At 31 years old, star Philippe Coutinho is already in Brazil. 

…However, it still depends on some issues that are well underway, in addition to having other missions in São Paulo in relation to the future of Vasco SAF.

TERMINATION WITH ASTON VILLA
In recent days, Coutinho's representatives have been working intensely to reach a termination agreement with Aston Villa, with whom he has a contract until 2026 and amounts to be received. However, the midfielder is willing to give up to return to Vasco, a desire demonstrated throughout the negotiation, and the end of his contract with the English team is closer.

One of the reasons for this is that Aston Villa would also have a great deal of leverage in financial fair play due to Coutinho's high contract with the English team.

This way the player would arrive free at Cruz-Maltino and would be available to Vasco from July 10th, when the transfer window opens...

On 23/05/2024 at 08:29, thabucks said:

Nah he was good for the first 2 months and then his form fell off a cliff (along with the rest of the team under Gerrard) and then he had a good final game when we lost to Man City.

Us fans wanted to sign him as a “marquee” player and on the hope he would return to his Liverpool form but the officials at the club should have done their due diligence and realised a permanent deal was just not worth it. He was a vanity signing led by the clueless manager at the time and it’s no surprise once Unai came in he binned Coutinho off and brought in Buendia, which is what most fans were saying even when Coutinho was still on loan 

22 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

All sounds good to me in terms of an amicable agreement that will benefit us (as much as it possibly can) for PSR.

Not ideal tbh, we will need to write off his remaining book value, which means taking immediate £8.5m PSR loss...but I guess if he didn't want to go anywhere else, he left us with no choice really.

Â