Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/22 at 23:59

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

11 defeats out of 19. Score first but still lose for the second game running. Now seems we can't beat the better teams or the teams in and around us. 

Time will tell if Gerrard is any good or whether he just had a good start but I'm starting to have doubts after that. Far too easily beat just like we were under Smith regularly.

Yep.

Was never an agenda against Smith and there isn't an agenda against Gerrard.

Only time will tell if he will be good enough as you say but today was a big step in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

I definitely think there are issues with the squad though. Trezeguet is rubbish and should have been shipped out ages ago (not sure why he came on). Traore obviously has some skill but the decision making of an donut. Targett isn't good enough to be first choice LB and Hause is inadequate cover. Luiz is sloppy and McGinn had one of his very poor games today.

Gerrard definitely needs to be backed because we need at least 2 first team players to come in this month and a much stronger CB to compete with Mings and Konsa.

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

Buendia was BY FAR our best player today

He was a threat the entire game.

I think some people just want to blame Buendia for everything.

It's hard to stand out at times, but the link up play was good, even after Norgaard tried to break his arm.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Just because it’s already copied to my clipboard, and very much appropriate here… That’s 

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886lqb8kk1oqlzdak2m79

It's not bullshit.

These players are absolute s***

They struggle with the basics

Edited by villalad21

So for the first time under Gerrard we had the majority of the possession but as usual with Villa teams, we don't know what to do with it.

We are a mid table side and need tens of millions to even try and get close to a European spot. 

Only 2 teams have lost more games than us and one of them is Norwich. If you are not going to win the game at least get a point ffs.

Happy new year.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Worst bit of it is I doubt Brentford will play that badly again all season, to say they were there for the taking is an understatement.

Little bit disappointed we didn’t see Chuk/JPB/Archer at all, I wanted Archer on for Traore in the second half and I think it would have posed them problems.

I wondered if Trez might become a favourite for Gerrard with his work rate but that pathetic dive when we were in a good position at the end may have started that relationship off on a bad foot.

Wasted opportunity today, massively.

• Like 1

Losing to teams that offer nothing but kick and bite is nothing new for us , we lacked the skill and guile in that final third despite dominating most of the game.

so far with Gerrard we’ve kinda won the winnable games and had close defeats to the top 3 , this is his first defeat against a poor side who really don’t belong in this division , so his first big test in terms of how he rips into the players.

main mistake for me was bringing back McGinn into a midfield that held its own v Chelsea last game , he offered next to nothing today and was the weak link in that area , but that said Doug was in full casual mode today and didn’t exactly help.

Ings worked hard and showed what we’ve missed from him , shame we can’t get him to do it at the same time as Ollie , be interesting to see how it plays out.

Traore did his usual impression of the best footballer on the planet whilst also doing  an impression of the worst footballer in the planet , but if he comes back from Africa match fit then he will be important for us .

transfer window is open , let’s see where we spend it 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

11 defeats out of 19. Score first but still lose for the second game running. Now seems we can't beat the better teams or the teams in and around us. 

Time will tell if Gerrard is any good or whether he just had a good start but I'm starting to have doubts after that. Far too easily beat just like we were under Smith regularly.

Lost one game under Gerrard from those around us. And your comment about relegation in the match thread is laughable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow, so much wrong with that performance, there is too much to point out.

Decision making was totally useless, gave 90% of all passes to the opposition in the last 20 minutes.

No urgency no beating a player no challenges no movement.

It was kids football, 6 players passing it around in 10 yards not opening the game but just losing it every time.

The reluctantly to play the ball into the box, even with a minute to go is stupifyingly shit.

It's like watching a crap man City, just passing it for the sake of keeping your own passing stats high. 

I'm not happy with such a weak disjointed lame feeble display and I hope Gerrard also isn't.

Players dropping to their default shittest habits is creeping more into each game.

This time we have mcginn refusing to make quick or simple passes either holding the ball in the wrong area and getting dispossessed easily putting them on the attack, or thinking he's Beckham and trying the impossible with every pass.

Get the ball towards their box ? I know, let's all group together and just play it until we lose it rather than get it crossed in.

Total waste of another weekend, motm ? 

Probably ings who looked the only one capable of doing anything and he still looks off the pace.

Subs should have been made after 55 mins when it was clear traore was still on his own magical world of slo mo.

And trez ? Wtf when he's in the box having beaten the defender ?

Lazy cheating ffs yet again, anything other than cross the ball.

Rant over

• Like 2

Just now, Thug said:

That was awful.

I know he needs the right players for his system, but that’s the most boring performance from us in a long while.

Bit harsh. We played well for half an hour and scored an excellent goal. That certainly wasn't happening in DS last few games which was only two months ago even if it seems longer.

Brainless second half though, it's a bump in the road.

Think for second season in a row covid has derailed the season a bit. Had momentum after Norwich, beat Burnley and we wouldn't have been far off top 7. Instead we play hardest of the three games over xmas and lose it and really now highest we can achieve is 8th unless we win 4-5 in a row which is a long shot.

Still 10th for me is more than acceptable and still very possible. Brentford seems the new eternal jinx team for us based on last five years.

Â