Ratings & Reactions: Brentford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/01/22 at 23:59

On the positive, i felt that was possibly buendia's best game today.

Ings looks better on his own without watkins. So moving forward i think it needs to be one or the other. 

Im still not 100% sure how we managed to lose a game we dominated

6 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Performance not quite as bad as some of the crazy knee jerk reactions on here. We dominated the first half but didn't take our chances and that plus some soft defending at crucial moments lost it for us. The subs were fine but made far too late - Traore had looked like dogshit all second half

Good performances:

• Buendia (although knowing this forum there'll be more claims he's not good enough)
  • Ings (ditto my above comment re buendia)
  • Martinez

Ok performances

• Mcginn (not enough leadership though)
  • Cash
  • Targett
  • Ramsey (unfortunate to be taken off imo)

Bad performances

• Traore - genuinely awful. Did nothing all game and moves frequently broke down when he got the ball. Plus some typically mental passing to the opposition
  • Konsa - at fault for the first goal in my view. Needs to close down that shot rather than standing off him (Mings would have done better in that situation)
  • Hause - not good enough and we miss Mings massively
  • Luiz - not a coincidence that our results have been worse since Nakamba got injured to be honest

Can u add a new category under Bad Performances and call it Very Bad performances and stick Traore and Hause in it

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

Can go round in circles on this point for the rest of the season if we want.  Buendias trying to thread balls through defences and create chances. The assist is buendias game, that’s what he did for Norwich and exactly why we signed him. His biggest problem at the moment for me is he’s 2 steps ahead of everyone on the pitch and he needs to reign it in because he’s just losing possession. He’s getting some fitness now which is great to see, I think he’s quality. 

Oh please with this 2 steps ahead garbage. Been hearing this same tune now for months. It's a total cop out. If he's that good, he'd be playing for City. Fact is he's isn't very good. He did however at least manage one standout pass today, that resulted in a goal. Sadly he gave away possession about 15 times as well. 

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

After 2/3 months that is worrying

we will have off days too like any other ol' team. I see this game as a blip.

we're not completely toothless in front of goal either, but I agree that we should be sharper.

Edited by osmark86

15 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

One thing I’ve notice over the last couple of weeks is that we literally have no width. Whenever players are in wide areas there’s a clear instruction not to put the ball in the box.

Not sure if this is a result of the style/formation we play now, but everything is so central and there doesn’t even seem to be any interplay on the wings.

I've been saying this since Gerrard took over. We've dispensed with width and wide forwards to stay compact centrally however, it is having a knock on effect with our creativity and potential to counter attack teams. It also leaves us exposed when Cash or Targett bomb on. If Gerrard persists with this then we may as well get rid of the wide players, Targett and Cash and start again and get to FBs that are strong, quick and can cross the ball. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

Oh please with this 2 steps ahead garbage. Been hearing this same tune now for months. It's a total cop out. If he's that good, he'd be playing for City. Fact is he's isn't very good. He did however at least manage one standout pass today, that resulted in a goal. Sadly he gave away possession about 15 times as well. 

By that logic all players who would play for us are sh1te. So what's the point?

Ings played well, cash was good and so was buendia. Weirdly no matter how well Ings plays we still don’t possess the same threat going forward as we do with Watkins. 

Luiz was anonymous today, McGinn had one of those games where you wonder what all fuss is about. All in all it was a 50/50 game which co side ring we were away and to a team that now has more points than us what did we expect from the game really.

I think people’s frustrations here are the realization that we’re a mediocre team despite all the money spent, we’ll win some and lose some for the 2nd half of the season and I’ll repeat what I’ve said countless times since the start of this season, we won’t finish above last years 11th place.

Were still 100 million of investment away from top 8 and I’m not even sure what players that should be invested in, we have a lot of decent players but overall we’re average at best.

20 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

It’s a terrible dive. But when you see what the top teams get pens for who can blame players for diving? 

Very valid point but when he was in a great position to then make such a shit and obviously dive was terrible. The guy has a terrible attitude and we were a better team when he wasn’t in it. 

25 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Thinking we are prime Barcelona because we are 1-0 up at Brentford about sums up that.

Gerrard. An actual winner will be ripping them to shreds hopefully in the post match.

A moment in the first half when Emi and Ramsay played about 3 one twos to each other five yards apart was symptomatic of the casual nature and false sense of security.

Only got themselves to blame. Attitude lost us that game.

I've just read all eight pages of this thread and this post was the first on page one. It's the stand out post for me because it sums up what we all watched today perfectly and painfully.

I agree with every word rodders0223.

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If we lose to United next week the season is petering out already. 12/13th 45-50 points.

No way we hit 45 points. Will be very lucky to get to 35 with the players in this squad. 

• Shocked 1

Again proof that Villa’s midfield are too similar, lack creativity and pace.

However, after seeing Gerrard’s expression on the touchline towards the end of the game I’m in no doubt the likes of Luiz, Sanson, Targett, Traore, Trez, will be plying their trade elsewhere by the start of next season.

Only positive I’d take from that awful result is that Ings should play instead of Watkins.

• Like 1

No intensity.  Never shifted gear when we needed to. I'm not sure this lot can shift intensity.

Mentally a shot squad.

All this money spent and we still desperately need to massively invest.

Sawiris and Edens should be royally pissed off with Purslew and Lange right now.

Ignore the COVID stuff. It's looking like average recruitment at best.

But don't let Gerrard's containment tactics go amiss here. He got it wrong massively.

Score and contain the lead with this bunch is only gonna got to one way if the opposition scores. And it did just that. We had no answer to coming from behind. That's worrying. 

Big questions need to be asked and big recruitment needs to made now as that was  a Brentford side that were ready for a hiding after we scored yet we were piss weak at doing that after despite them being weak enough times to allow us to kill the game off.

Absolute shite from a management and intent to win a game issue Villa.

Basically, we bottled it today.

• Like 3

Â